Protestants against ABC

Hey folks,

I remember hearing on Catholic Answers last year a Protestant that was against ABC and believed the Catholic Church had it right.

Are there any official Protestant denominations that are against ABC, or is it just individual Protestants?

What do you mean by “ABC”?

I think he’s referring to “Artificial Birth Control”

But maybe it’s the Archbishop of Canterbury. Or Anything But Catholic. Or the American Broadcasting Company. Or just the first three letters of the alphabet;)

Sorry, ABC is Artifical Birth Control

Maybe the it’s the Jackson Five song. All protestants are against that, you know.:smiley:

To answer the OP’s question, I don’t believe any of the larger protestant denominations have made an official policy against ABC. I know my former denomination (Episcopalian) would be more likely to enshrine contraception as a sacrament than concur with the Catholic teaching on it. :rolleyes:

all protestant church taught against it before 1930 then changed their minds about it.

None make an official stand on it as they want to leave it open for dire exceptions. There are plenty that preach against it though, encourage quiverful, etc. There are entire groups within Protestant Churches that take a stand…and sometimes there are those that are on their own with it.

There is a large move by Protestants to return to the stance against ABC.

Thanks for the help. I guess some individual Protestants have seen the folly of there Churches teaching, but you would not get any mainstream denom. making it official policy.

I heard that phrase on a show about the Duggers. What does it mean?

Protestants do what they do on every question: They choose to believe hatever they want to believe.

No one has the authority to preach the truth about artificial birth control in Protestant churches.

People make up their own minds and that constitutes authority for them.

There are some Evangelical congregations that reject contraception. But, they aren’t exactly a “denomination” because each is independent although under the general umbrella of “Evangelical” or “bible church.”

I am protestant and against ABC I know others who agree with me. That said. I do not agree with your assessment. I did not choose to see “folly of my Churches teaching.” My church teaches the value of children and family. I have never once heard anything from the pulpit or church literature against ABC. However I also haven’t seen anything even remotely close to teaching FOR it. Therefore, I am not going against their teaching, they have no teaching on it.

I thought it meant the Arch Bishop of Canterbury. I figured they were just turning on their own.

Unfortunately, some – like the Methodists – have taken official stands on contraception as well as abortion. In fact, “The United Methodist Church was a founding member of the Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice in 1973” which “*supports the **right of all persons *to have access to a wide range of reproductive health services including sexuality education, family planning services, contraception, abortion services, affordable and quality health and child care” - <Source: UMC Web-Page>

They are a disgrace to the Christian faith.

oh, here are the members of the Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice: <Source>

Conservative Judaism
Rabbinical Assembly
United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism
Women’s League for Conservative Judaism

Episcopal Church
The Episcopal Church

**Ethical Culture **
American Ethical Union National Service Conference

Humanist Judaism
Society for Humanistic Judaism

Presbyterian Church (USA)
Presbyterians Affirming Reproductive Options (PARO)
Women’s Ministries
Washington Office

Reconstructionist Judaism
Jewish Reconstructionist Federation
Reconstructionist Rabbinical Association

Reform Judaism
Central Conference of American Rabbis
North American Federation of Temple Youth
Union for Reform Judaism
Women of Reform Judaism, The Federation of Temple Sisterhoods
Women’s Rabbinic Network of Central Conference of American Rabbis

United Church of Christ
Justice and Witness Ministries

United Methodist Church
General Board of Church and Society
General Board of Global Ministries, Women’s Division

Unitarian Universalist
Unitarian Universalist Association
Unitarian Universalist Women’s Federation
Young Religious Unitarian Universalists
Continental Unitarian Universalist Young Adult Network

**Caucuses/Organizations **
American Jewish Committee
American Jewish Congress
Anti-Defamation League
Catholics for a Free Choice
Christian Lesbians Out (CLOUT)
Church of the Brethren Women’s Caucus
Disciples for Choice
Episcopal Urban Caucus
Episcopal Women’s Caucus
Hadassah, WZOA
Jewish Women International
Lutheran Women’s Caucus
Methodist Federation for Social Action
NA’AMAT USA
National Council of Jewish Women
Women’s American ORT
YWCA of the USA

Have you ever asked your Pastor about it? When I was Protestant I did and his answer led me straight to the path to Rome.

It went something like: “I have no rhythm”. That was the only thought he had given it. I met some of the most God fearing men in my life at those Churches. They just did not want God in their bedrooms.

Maybe he thought about it more after you asked him? When you spend your whole life being taught about God and a subject is NEVER brought up in that context (what God would think of if it) it is normal for a person to have never thought about it. It’s not cut and dried that they don’t want God in their Bedrooms… they are the same people who will teach against fornication and other sex related issues without a pause.

Kids go to public schools now and are taught the “rhythm method” doesn’t work and how important ABC is in their health classes (they actually interrupted my senior honors history class to teach this, years ago). If the church never brings it up one way or the other, people forget to notice what isn’t said. I was grown before I came to the belief that I shouldn’t use ABC. And it was for medical reasons before I understood Spiritual ones. That is not because I didn’t care to have God in my bedroom, it was because it never occurred to me before then that God would have a problem with it. (I will note that my beliefs about it are not exactly the same as the Catholic Church teaches, but similar.)

The thing that some Protestant churches do that annoys me the most is that they conform to the promotion of ABC without giving much thought. It’s very sad, that they mislead people into sinning.

The CFFC is evil!!!

Support or not for ‘artificial’ birth control by a religious ‘group’ seems pretty irrelevant to the activity of members of that group, doesn’t it? [In a situation where availability is legal and there’s not a cat in hell’s chance of that being changed.]

Whichever side the ‘group’ itself comes down on, its members predominantly use ‘artificial’ birth control. Perhaps support for such use by the ‘group’ itself merely removes cognitive dissonance problems for its members?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.