Protestants against the "new" protestants

I’ve been listening to a local Christian Radio show, it’s Protestant owned obviously with how it’s ran, I listen to this one as well as the Catholic station, yet find the flavor of how the venue runs on it to be more appealing entirely because much more is being discussed in a short period of time, ie. caters to my desires to learn more as quickly as possible, and yeah, I have to ignore a few minor tidbits since they lean towards conflict of the Catholic teachings, but overall, dead on, exactly what is the total truth in many, many ways, the key being, not being watered down and PC.

What I’m hearing in several of the sermons given there, going back to scripture, how it covered areas we face to this day, Fake churches, or churches that are really preaching the wrong gospel all together, calling themselves x and z denomination, only to go back to the 1st century church, same problems, same issues, same everything. I will not chuckle and think, well, it’s a protestant church, they broke off from the one true church, now they are facing the same thing we did back then, it’s fitting. No, what I think, they realize how by remaining more close to the original accepted church, as with all things, as opposed to the big tent, prosperity, big money, watered down gospel ones that existed back then, and exist now with this generation of “new protestants”, facing the very same thing we did as Catholics. I feel it’s history repeating itself, that there is a clear divide between these false churches and the truly devoted protestant churches, and the two should never be lumped together as one. We as Catholics should aid and support those that hold fast to tradition, that are appauled with what is going on with these mega “new” protestant churches, and offer empathy in this regard.

The thing about it though I’m seeing, it’s forcing many to take a deeper look into their own faith and the origins of their own denominations, that the door is still open for those that decide to accept the Catholic faith, and hopefully, to allow us Catholics to be able to empathize with their current cause and the new obstacles they now face and to be of aid, conversion or no conversion, entirely in their court in regards to spreading the true gospel.

Please share the true gospel with me.

To begin with, our and yours are the “same” bible, we just have some extra books, which in my opinion, only discussing the same topics and teachings. If you want to get down to the final dirt here in this early post.

The true gospel, what Jesus taught, as it is written within the gospel, all is perfect and true, these mega churches touch upon it lightly, yet glaze it over with another agenda and teaching all together.

Okay, but what is the true gospel? Please share the gospel with me according to the Catholic Faith. What is the righteousness of God that is revealed in the gospel according to the Apostle Paul?

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, “The righteous shall live by faith.”

Rom 1:16-17

So I am eager to preach the gospel to you also who are in Rome. - Paul

Dude…probably not the answer you want here, lol. Chill, relax, find some way to get your frustrations out, for now, please, take a step back, you are getting way too worked up… :slight_smile:

No frustration friend. I just wonder if you can actually tell me what is the gospel of God. I think many on this site are not able to proclaim the biblical catholic gospel. I find that odd since this is a Catholic Christian Forum site. Here is the Scripture passages that really concerns me in all of Christendom (Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox, Anglican, etc). I onced heard that the great mission field today is the visible church.

Brothers, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for them is that they may be saved. For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. For, being ignorant of the righteousness of God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes. - Rom 10

The same one as you hold dear brother, same Christ, same everything, different interpretations on some small degrees between them all, yet they are very small when it comes down to it if we believe within the heart and truth they represent.

Peace be with you. Brian

We don’t need denominations or Leaders with the big “L”, we need the Bible and the Holy Spirit and a few believers sharing the love of Jesus. How much money is wasted from Godly work aiding the poor and the like that is channeled into the infrastructure of the denominations and their churches.

The Protestant Reformation was not a reformation they traded the Roman Catholic Church and that huge money bloated system lusting for Earthly authority for the same thing which goes against the principles of Jesus.

I suggest indepenent home churches and simple churches.

In my mind I see a HUGE difference between mainline Protestant churches like Anglicans, LCMS Lutherans, some more conservative Presbyterians, Methodists, etc. than these newer-fangled fad feel-good Hallelujah churches like the Assembly of God and the Nazarenes and off-shoots of Pentecostals and Baptists, etc. The Nazarenes in my town call their church “The Naz.” To me that just sounds disrespectful and stupid altogether. They all fight each other over who has the best soccer field, baseball stadiums with lights for night games, youth services with overblown music bands that sound more like a rock concert than worship, twenty-five pastors for every occasion, and they all try to outdo each other by inviting Christian celebrities like Joe Montana (lots of Niners fans around this area including me) or Mike Huckabee to speak at their church and draw crowds. It’s cheesy.

The mainline old school Protestant churches in my town are really financially struggling, dying on the vine in many ways, and have small congregations. These mega church pandering loons tend to draw the hordes…it’s all a fad…We have an assembly of god church in town that is so many acres big that, seriously, it looks like a military base.:rolleyes:

As a conservative Lutheran, I get very irritated when people (particularly Catholics) say ‘protestant’ to mean both me and Joel Osteen’s church. I think any reasonable catholic can tell the difference between a church body like mine, which confesses the three ancient creeds, preaches Christ crucified, acknowledges the true body and blood of Christ in the Eucharist, etc, and Joel Osteen’s megachurch, where he ‘preaches’ from his ‘podium’ about how Jesus died for our financial security.

So yes, I suppose I am against the ‘new’ protestants. Because the fact is that the ‘protestant’ churches are supposed to be in a position to rejoin the Roman church after adequate reforms are made. Most of these Joel Osteen / Rick Warren -esque churches cannot even confess the Apostles’ Creed with a straight face. For them it’s all about feeling good and being a good person and their ‘personal lord and savior Jesus Christ.’ It’s disgusting.

Now, there’s Christian unity!

Couldn’t agree more, the two are like night and day. Catholics that lump them all into one bunch are way off base…

[quote=2nd Adam;5773924
]

In this verse Paul is speaking about the Jews, His heart’s desire and prayer to God was that his follow Jews may be saved.

Just thought I would point that out.
[/quote]

Very close to town with the Nazarene’s, I attended many of their services with a very small one that was just starting up, not sure if it’s indicitive of how they operate, but already had a celebrity take over one of their services with a very weak sermon, he even bussed in his own people to fill in the chairs to laugh at his jokes and to give him the response he was looking for, I felt hored out in the process. I’m also noticing the common theme much of the time is to express who is doing good in x area of the church and community, like it’s a competition to see who gets the biggest pat on the back. It’s remaining afloat for now because it’s supported by one of these mega churches and I did get the message accross to them, not to follow that mega churches lead and to continue to form their own identity outside of it at least. Yet, there have been to a service there where the agenda and platform was all derrived from that mega church with a play instead of an actual service. I did enjoy it when there was a more intensive, interactive bible study, which is what gave it, it’s appeal to me, but I don’t really consider the place a real church at all, I never have.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.