Protestants and Schismatics

What are differances between a Protestant church and a Schismatic church?

Hi Bill :slight_smile:

(removed my post, as the original question as been re-phrased)

The Protestant Church is in heresy meaning it denies a lot of the truths of the Catholic Church. A Schismatic Church, such as the Oriental Church, is complete in most of the Faith, but is divided from the Church by the reluctance to submit to the Bishop of Rome. While the Protestant Church is in heresy, meaning it denies many truths, a Schismatic Church, does not necessarily deny the truths in so much as it is unuitied with the Church.

I belong to the PNCC AND Im told it’s a schismatic church. That the RC considers their sacarments valid but illucit. How does this differs with the sacarments of the Episcopal church or any other PROTESTANT CHURCH?

The Catholic Church considers the Sacraments (namely of Holy Orders and Communion) in the Episcopal Church to be both invalid (in form and manner) and illicit. The same is true for all other Protestant Churches. However, as for schismatic Churches, these Sacraments will almost necessarily be valid, but illicit.

Would the Episcopal Church be schismatic or Protestant? Their service is alot like the masses of the RC and PNCC. They also say they believe in the real presence and the eucharist as a sacrifice? Bill

The Anglican Church is Protestant. The Catholic Church does not recognize their holy orders as valid. However close their masses might be, they reject many of the truths of the Catholic Church, justification by faith and works, they use the Protestant Canon for their Bibles. The Catholic Church does recognize the Eucharist I believe.

But since the Anglican Church does not have apostolic succession, it cannot be schismatic, since the Orthodox Church for example, has valid sacraments, yet in schism.
The Anglican Church, although it does share some truths, developed during the Protestant Reformation. It denies, still many of the truths of the Catholic and Orthodox Church, many that are essential.

The Catholics consider them heretics and Protestants.
I however would consider both Episcopals/COE and Methodists to be something else entirely as they are not part of the Luther/Calvin etc. Reformation but came about later and for different reasons.
WP

All Anglicans however say that their Apostolic Succession IS just as valid as that of any other church.
WP

This is true. But it remains that they do not have Apostolic Succession in the form that Catholics believe the Succession is to be passed on.

But to make an Anglican agree with you would be like shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind. They are big on their Apostolic Succession.
WP

A schismatic church is a church that is seperated from the Catholic Church but still adheres to her teachings (for the most part) and maintains valid bishops and sacraments. The PNCC is such a church along with the Eastern Orthodox. (Orthodox left in 1054, the PNCC left in the 1890s)

A protestant church is a heretical entity that basis its teachings from the teachings of Luther, Calvin, etc from the 16th century (and later) and not the apostolic faith of the Catholic Church.

Although the Episcopalian Church has bishops who can historically trace their bishops back to catholic bishops in the 16th century, they adhere to protestant theology (their official name is: The Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America) while the PNCC adheres to Catholic theology. Their (the episcopalians) bishops and eucharist are not valid due to the fact they lost what was left of their Catholic faith with the reign of Queen Elizabeth.

I hope that helps :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.