Protestants and the Bible Alone?

If every last bible was burned and done away with, and there wasn’t a copy left anywhere, and if it became fiercely illegally to attempt to reproduce a bible anywhere in the world, would protestantism survive? I mean if Protestantism’s sole rule of faith falls entirely on the bible and the bible alone, and don’t believe in authority elsewhere, would then protestantism cease to exist. If they say, no, it will continue to exist because their Churches (the people) will keep their written tradition going, but now orally, wouldn’t they be doing something the Catholic Church has taught all along? Which is: A) give authority to their Church, and the bible B) written Tradition now becomes oral tradition. I mean how else would protestantism expand if no bibles were available?

Thoughts?

That’s a very good question. If I were still a Protestant, however, I would probably say that God would never let that happen under some sort of divine protection clause or spinoff of “the gates of hell shall not prevail”. If it DID happen, then, of course, sola Scriptura Protestantism would cease to exist.

Similarly, Protestants may ask what would happen to the Catholic Church if there was such a massive persecution of Catholic clergy that every bishop in the world was shot dead. Admittedly, the Catholic faith would cease to exist, but, God would not allow that to happen because the gates of hell shall not prevail.

I desire to be a Catholic, and one of the main reasons is because of the Bible only doctrine(sola scriptura). I have defended the sola scriptura for years, but I have found it to be lacking in foundation. Not that the Bible lacks anything but that someone had to determine what was canon, it took authority. But don’t let me get off topic from the ideology of the thread.

But let me give an answer to this as if I did not believe in the authority of the Catholic Church, as if I was answering this question a year ago.

OK, here we go.

The Bible has stood the test of time. There have been book burnings, and Biblical manuscripts from long ago were destroyed by the invading empires like the Roman Empire, but God’s Word always was perserved, even at Qumran, just look at the Dead Sea Scrolls.

God has always kept a remanent of people set apart, no matter how bad it got. And even if we don’t have God’s word written on tablets we will have it written on our hearts. “As you know” we are saved by faith alone. All someone has to do is just believe.

Now that is an answer that I probably would have given a year ago, though it is hard for me to say something meaningful when I no longer mean it.

But I know many people who actually think that God has preserved His Word perfectly in the King James Version, and that all other translations are not inspired. I ususally ask them which version of the King James Version is the inspired one? There were atleast 10 revisions from 1611 to 1950. The Protestant mind is hard for a Catholic to understand sometimes!!!http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon11.gif

1srt of all that would never happen because god would protect us and no we wouldnt die out because we would pray to god and he would talk to us like that but we wouldnt use false books and writings as catholics do

god speaks to us as we speak to him cos he is our dad and he loves us

[quote=kpnuts2k]1srt of all that would never happen because god would protect us and no we wouldnt die out because we would pray to god and he would talk to us like that but we wouldnt use false books and writings as catholics do

[/quote]

Then where is your teaching coming from if that happens? Someone couldn’t go and prove it. How do you know that it is God that is speaking to you and not the devil?

Who are you to say the books are false? There were many people before the bible was created that thought that those books were just as good as any of the books that are in the bible. The thing is, as someone above stated, you must have authority to decide what whould go into canon, so if you accept the authority of the bible then you must accept the authority of those who created it(catholic church).

when you hear enough of god you can hear the difference

<>

And where in the Bible does it say that?
And what does the Bible say of personal interpretation of Scripture? (Hint: it’s AGIN it).
And where in the Bible does it say that the Bible (using just that word, Bible) is the sole instrument for salvation?
And what did the early Christians use for instruction? They didn’t have “the bible.”

they didnt have the bible as we know it but they had pauls letters which make up most of our new t

“our New Testament”?

We have the same new testament. We just believe the WHOLE Bible :

Mk 13:31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.

2 Thes2:15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast and hold the traditions which you were taught, whether by word or our epistle.

The Bible clearly teaches that His word will never pass, (therefore our hypothetical situation will truly never happen;) ) but if his word will never pass, where are the oral words of God? Your church has chosen to throw away God’s word instead of holding fast to those things that were written and spoken to Christ’s church. (you have also thrown away some of His written word also.)
I pray you will truly ask God to show you the truth, and look at ALL of His written words, for they clearly point to the Oral Tradition the Catholic Church still holds fast to, as the Bible tells us to.
God Bless

[quote=MariaG]“our New Testament”?

[/quote]

i ment the christain nt rather than the jewish torah which is our old t
sorry about the wording it was not ment to cause offence

[quote=kpnuts2k]1srt of all that would never happen because god would protect us and no we wouldnt die out because we would pray to god and he would talk to us like that but we wouldnt use false books and writings as catholics do

[/quote]

If you make assertions you need to back them up.

Therefore please document what false books and writings the Catholics use.

SV

ive been looking on alot of catholic websites and they quote from writings that i have never heard of but i know that they are not the bible

[quote=kpnuts2k]ive been looking on alot of catholic websites and they quote from writings that i have never heard of but i know that they are not the bible
[/quote]

You need to be specific. What writings are you talking about?

If you are going to make these claims, you need to prove them.

SV

PS still waiting on the scripture that says all sin is equal :slight_smile:

No offense was taken.:slight_smile: However, there are so many people who truly don’t understand the Church Christ established, the Catholic Church, I simply thought this was another misconception you may have had.

But what about the Oral words the Bible tells us to hold fast to? Your church does not hold fast to both what is written and was told to the churches. If His word will never pass away, where is this Oral word of God?

God Bless

what do you mean the oral word of GOD?

[quote=kpnuts2k]what do you mean the oral word of GOD?
[/quote]

The Bible says we are to hold fast to written AND oral teachings…not just the written word.

Keep in mind there was no Bible for several hundred years AFTER the death of Christ.

SV

well god talks to us like just at the weekend i had a word for a church plus i had a word for a single person

i also recived a word from a friend of mine

is that what you mean?

[quote=kpnuts2k]well god talks to us like just at the weekend i had a word for a church plus i had a word for a single person

i also recived a word from a friend of mine

is that what you mean?
[/quote]

Well I’m not sure what you are trying to say here.

SV

that god does still speak through peeps?

BTW

If you truly love God, I do not expect you to take my word for it. Read your Bible. It is all there. Don’t trust what I say, read the Word of the Lord for yourself. Not from some Catholic site or an Anti one. Use God’s word yourself.

Here are some verses to look at:

[left]1 Cor 11:2 Hold onto traditions[/left]
[left]2 Thess 2:15 Hold to traditions whether ORAL or written[/left]
[left]2 Thess 3:6 [/left]
[left]Jn 21:25 not everything Jesus said recorded in Scripture[/left]
[left]Mk 13:31[/left]
[left]Acts 20:35 This one is something Paul tells us Jesus said that can not be found in the gospels. But we still believe they are His words don’t we?[/left]
[left]2 Tim 1:13 follow sound of my words[/left]
[left]2 Tim 2:2[/left]
[left]2 Pet 1:20[/left]
[left]2 Pet 3:15-16[/left]
[left]Rom 10:17[/left]
These verses from the Bible show that God never meant for all His words to be contained in Scripture. In fact He says not everything Jesus said is in Scripture! Please, read the Bible for yourself, and you will realize what a great lie Satan has been able to perpetuate about the Catholic Church to keep ALL of God’s people from joining together in the fight.
God Bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.