Protestants and the end times

What is the deal with Protestants and the end times all I see posted are bible study after bible study of the end times

Not that this is necesarly a bad thing but are we as close as alot of the Protestants lead on? What do any Protestants have to say about this is this a subject that you find interesting and why?

How does Catholic end times defer from Protestants?

And one of my bigest questions is What is the mark of the beast? Do most Protestants believe we will be given a bar code? Is this compatible with Catholic theology of the end times?

First off Scripture tells us we will not know the day or the hour, so I couldn’t speculate how “close” the end is…neither can they.

I am guessing much of the popularity is because of all the imagery of the book of Revelation coupled with the mass market “Left Behind” series makes for supernatural drama.

For a Catholic take on last things, I’d recommend (although I have only read small parts) then-Cardinal Ratzinger’s book: Eschatology.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=258227

This gets a lot of play at my Baptist church. We see the world getting worse each day…more immoral etc., compile that with the fact we want Jesus to come back, and ‘presto’ …you have a natural focus on the return of Christ.

Not that this is necesarly a bad thing but are we as close as alot of the Protestants lead on?

We can only speculate, but I would say No. I think Christ will wait until we are on the brink of destroying the world…just speculation of course.

What do any Protestants have to say about this is this a subject that you find interesting and why?

I don’t get to hung up in it. But I am ready for his return. I think we should focus on the farm work and let Christ worry about the harvest. However, I think one of the strongest proponents to work quickly, is because there is the distinct potentiality he may return tomorrow and I think the belief that we worship a risen Lord who is coming back for us is one of the strongest teachings we have.

How does Catholic end times defer from Protestants?

I don’t know the answer to that, but given that there are potentially four different prophetic interpretational types for Revelations, I would say there are some pretty big differences in how anyone looks at the end of times.

And one of my bigest questions is What is the mark of the beast?

Im not sure. I think the adversary is a little more subtle than to go with ‘666’, I assume it is something that will one day be required of all people to do business and trade. Some speculate about GPS chips or something.

Do most Protestants believe we will be given a bar code?

Its speculation. I think Revelations is a story written by a man who saw the future, but didn’t have the vocabulary to describe it in terms we understand.

Respectfully,

Mudcat

Welcome to the largest Christian forum on the intenet

Hope you injoy your stay and thaks for your reply

This is what i really would like to know where do people stand on the mark of the beast?

My wife and I where watching s comershal advertising batteries and it was where a woman had a device to find her kid that wondred off it used this reliable batteries

Anyway the question came up does this kid have like a watch on or a implant of some kind

In witch my wifes aunt said it would be a sin to have something implanted and referred to the end times and the mark

To me some people take this stuff a little to far not that I would implant a cloaking device in my child but what she said just had me thinking what is being preached at her church

My real thought on the matter is this…
One day, science will come up with a way to fix all humans.
Make you smarter, stronger, disease free, etc…
It will require changing you. Not neccesarily to the point that you don’t look like yourself. But to the point that you aren’t really genetically human anymore.

From that point forward, you cease to be God’s design.
That is what I think it is.
Just my speculation.
It would make a great book, IMO.

Mudcat

MarcoPolo

First off Scripture tells us we will not know the day or the hour, so I couldn’t speculate how “close” the end is…neither can they.

True,we don’t know the day or hour,but we are to know the season

You are correct there mudcat, most of the popular interpretations of Revelation are just that, sheer speculation and mostly fiction.:slight_smile:

Odell, those batteries are for tracking devices for autistic kids and others who might wander away and get lost from their care givers. They are not implants but more like a wristband. Not too diffrent from the ankle devices used by law enforcement to keep track of certain parolees.:slight_smile:

Thank you so much for your reasonable and rational comments on this board. I wish there were more on here like you that we could actually have discussions with!

What is the season?

I think is a new way of making money. doesn’t these books bring lots of money to the authors?

it is very attractive to those with itchy ears.

A lot of the differences in belief boil down to whether you believe Christ founded the “Millenial Kingdom” (Rev 20) in the church during his first advent, or if that is something that hasn’t happened yet.

If you believe it has happened,then you probably place most of Revelations, most of the Olivet Discourse, and the visions of Daniel as being fulfilled in 70 AD with the destruction of the temple. But if you don’t believe it has happened then these events that happen right before the establishment of the kingdom(Daniel & Revelations 1-20) couldn’t have happened yet so they must be in the future.

Like someone said before, there are many different views on Revelations and the view on what the Church is definitely isn’t the only thing seperating the pre/post/amills and pre/mid/post-trib etc…But I would say that it contributes to a lot of the differences.

A good book that I would highly reccomend on this subject is David Curries Rapture: The End-Times Error That Leaves the Bible Behind.

Not neccesarily. People will point to Lahaye and Lindsey and smear all those who write on this subject as McScrooges.

And besides, there are many end-times naysayers that make money off books disputing end-times teachings. Like David Currie, whose books on this subject are always recommended to buy.

So whatever point of view you take, there is always study material to buy, so everybody is making money. I don’t see the big deal.

Jesus Christ needs to be preached at all times.

For one, Israel, because of Gods Grace, is regathering back in the land of Israel from all nations.

Mudcat, I was going to say the same thing, but trrocks beat me to it. Great post!

I understand certain things are to take place prior, but that could happen pretty fast by some miracle of God and then who knows how long after that!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.