Protestants and the faith of the Early Christians

I was discussing with a Protestant about the teachings of the Early Christians. I asked why Protestants don’t believe what the Early Christians taught, he said,

“Allow me to respond with a question. Why didn’t the Early Christians follow what the Bible says? The reason that most Protestants do not follow what the Early Christians believed is that the Early Christians believed many things that contradict what the Apostles wrote in the New Testament. Protestants choose to follow the actual teachings of the Apostles, instead of the teachings of those who came in the centuries after the Apostles.”

I talked about Apostolic Succession, the office of Bishop, the appointing of someone to fill in, etc.

He’d have to show you what they teach that contradicts the bible. Note the word contradicts.

They can’t tell you infant baptism, because “whole households” could be taken either way.

They can’t tell you the Real Presence in the Eucharist because “This is my body” does not contradict the ECF’s.

I’m curious though, when you consider the writings of the Apostles:

A) Am I going to trust someone who learned directly from the apostles, in the same language as the apostles, in the same culture of the apostles (or maybe at worst from a disciple of the Apostles as is the case with Ireneaus)?

B) Or am I going to trust someone who has to interpret from a different language, from a much different time, who does not even begin to comprehend first hand how the early church was?

As for me, it’s option A)!!!

After all, as much as I’ve seen people from other faiths mis-interpret Catholic Teaching, how can I trust their interpretations of the Bible!!!

And you can be sure that they don’t contradict. Nothing the church teaches contradicts the bible. Sometimes you might not know the answer, but just tell them that you’re not sure and you’ll look up the proper answer because there is a proper answer out there.

How many TIMES I have heard this from protestants, and how many times I have answered: CORRECTION, “the reason that most protestant do not follow what the Early Christians believed is NOT necessarily that the Early Christians believed many things that contradict what the Apostles wrote in the New Testament, but rather they might contradict PRIVATE INTERPRETATIONS of what the Apostle wrote that protestants have chosen to follow based on their own likings and dislikings”

BIG DIFFERENCE!

Many blessings,

E.C.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.