Protestants and the Inspiration of the Bible

I have tried searching, saw some traces of answers, but couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for.

Anyways, what I want to know is, how can Protestants believe in sola scriptura and not in the teaching authority of the Church? How do Protestants justify the divine inspiration of the Scriptures?

I’m not really interested (yet) with a Catholic refutation of the Protestants’ belief, but rather a short yet clear presentation of what Protestants basically believe regarding the issue.

Thanks!

So why not go to a protestant site? :smiley: You probably won’t get what you want here. :shrug:

Methinkis the justification of the divine inspiration of Scripture is the same for Catholics and Protestants; it’s God’s word by human hands.

The teaching authority of the RCC is basically seen as man-made tradition vs. what the true and sole authority of scripture. The other thing is the interpretation of scripture. Protestants, having no authority on the interpretation of scripture, interpret it in a way to support the Bible as the sole authority.

That’s the best/most concise job that I can do, as a former Protestant. .

guess what here is a link to a Protestant site
theologica.ning.com/ ask your question here on this fourm

vintage.aomin.org/SS.html
you can also check out this site

this is a site that I love enjoy. veritas.org/media/topics/2

Well, what I’ve read from several Protestant sites are mostly the same: the Scriptures are inspired because the Scriptures say so.

They also include prophecies and scientific consistencies in arguing for the inspiration of the Bible.

The first one is a weak, circular argument, while the second is strong only inasmuch as it proves that the Scriptures are significant and historical, but not God’s Word Itself.

Can anyone give even just bulletpoints of how they come to rationally believe that the Bible is divinely inspired? I believe that my internet and forum searching abilities are failing me. :frowning:

I should have posted this in the Non-Catholic Religions subforum. Posting here in the Apologetics section has become second nature that I didn’t bother posting it anywhere else.:smiley: May I kindly request a moderator to move this to the appopriate forum? Thanks!

Pretty much, yeah. Protestant belief in the inspiraion of the Scriptures is typically axiomatic. Just as there is no “proof” for the existence of God, one either believes in God or does not, so it is with the Scriptures. Either one believes that the Bible is the word of God, or one does not, under the Protestant paradigm.

**SK whispers: What it really is is tradition. One is either raised in a Protestant home where the axiomatic belief that the Bible and the Bible alone is the word of God is passed down from generation to generation, or one “gets saved” and incorporated into a Protestant church where, again, the tradition is that the Bible is the God’s word…Just don’t say this out loud. :wink:

They also include prophecies and scientific consistencies in arguing for the inspiration of the Bible.

I don’t know about scientific consistencies, but as for the prophecies, yes, there are many prophecies in Scripture that are very hard to deny as being fulfilled. However:

1 Not every one of the Bible’s 73 books contains fulfilled prophecies.

2 Not every fulfill prophecy is listed in the pages of one of the Bible’s 73 books.

And

3 All fulfilled prophecy is proof of is “paranormal” awareness. God is not the only one that can “predict” the future.

The first one is a weak, circular argument, while the second is strong only inasmuch as it proves that the Scriptures are significant and historical, but not God’s Word Itself.

Right. Exactly.

Can anyone give even just bulletpoints of how they come to rationally believe that the Bible is divinely inspired? I believe that my internet and forum searching abilities are failing me. :frowning:

I’m assuming you’re asking this of Protestants, not Catholics?

SK

I’m going to break protocall and refrute what’s being shown here on the protestant’s behalf even though I am Catholic.

This is a misconception about them not thinking the bible is the word of God. In fact, I’ve been hearing alot on these boards from Catholics where they lean towards it being simply inspired, and not the actual word of God.

Why they don’t believe in the Catholic church is because they are not informed about it as much as they need to be. They have been lied to by their authorities as to the nature of the Catholic church, for if they were told the truth, we would have much less dissention between both sides. This is not to say we have been misinformed about the protestants as well, the is mainly due to a comparison targeted at the fundamentalists, of which are a poor example to use to represent the majority of protestants.

To put it more clearly, we’ll use an example here. Ask a protestant if they believe in creation or evolution, you will find the majority of them lean towards the former rather then the latter. The reason for this is because they believe in what’s written in the bible to be true and literal within the context of Genesis, while we Catholics are debating back and forth on the matter, they have a more unified stance in that regard. There are many instances where both sides are much more in agreement on the elements that matter, ie. the teachings of Christ, his sacrifice, the atonement of sins, God’s love and mercy, etc. That should be something we emphasise when ever we end up in debate with them over all else.

The bottom line here, we can choose to keep the house divided or we can strive towards unity, it’s entirely our call.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.