Protestants and the Mass

I brought a girl that I was sort of dating to a Mass the other night. She is a devout pentecostal. I have been to her services many times and wanted her to see the mass. I was really surprised by her reaction to it. She seemed really annoyed and uncomfortable. She would slump in her seat with her head in her hands and asked if she could leave. I told her to wait for me in the back.

I was really surprised by her reaction. Has anyone else ever brought a protestant to a mass and had the same reaction? What was it in the mass that would make her react like this?

If that isn’t a red flag not to date a person, I don’t know what is!

Seriously, I have brought Protestants to Mass before, with mixed results. The ones I brought had the same main aversions/objections: statuary (they believe we worship them), memorized and recited prayers (they think they should be made up from scratch every time), vestments (I don’t know why), and the Eucharist (transubstantiation).

If you’re serious about this girl, study all you can about the Pentacostal religion, because it’s a dangerous thing. I wouldn’t attend their services, having experienced them quite a few times while I was a Protestant. They teach much falsehood, and if you don’t know your Catechism well, you could be led into some horribly heretical doctrines.

This is not to make light of your knowledge of the faith, please understand. I don’t know how long you’ve been a Catholic or how thoroughly you’ve studied. All I can say is please, please watch out. I’d find somebody new to date!

I am sure that much of it is unfamiliar to her and she could be making a fuss for your sake, to show that she disaproves so that she can win you over to her religion. I am sure she is going into the situation with the idea that the Church is pagan, worships statues and Mary, etc. and her misconceptions were probably only confirmed in her mind when she experienced our Mass. My husband was a convert so I can speak from experience. I would suggest talking to her about her reaction and trying to discuss why she reacted this way and perhaps you can start to debunk some of her misconceptions. Good luck and pray for guidance.

[quote=santaro75]I brought a girl that I was sort of dating to a Mass the other night. She is a devout pentecostal. I have been to her services many times and wanted her to see the mass. I was really surprised by her reaction to it. She seemed really annoyed and uncomfortable. She would slump in her seat with her head in her hands and asked if she could leave. I told her to wait for me in the back.

I was really surprised by her reaction. Has anyone else ever brought a protestant to a mass and had the same reaction? What was it in the mass that would make her react like this?
[/quote]

Greetings Santaro75,

I have brought my formerly Baptist girlfriend to Mass and she had basically the same reaction as your Protestant friend. Mainly her reaction was because she had never been to any type of liturgical style of worship (or anything other than a Baptist church for that matter). But as she learned more about the Mass and what it was for she wanted to go again and after a few times she enjoyed it. Now she is converting to Catholicism! So it could just be because of the vast difference that your friend was having a hard time handling. Afterall a Pentecostal service is a lot different from a Mass. Maybe you could find a Charismatic Catholic Parish to take her too.

Ben

I have a Pentecostal friend and every time the subject of religion would come up and I would say I was Catholic, she would say “Oh, I’m sorry.” She has been praying for me to become Christian for years because she doesn’t think Catholics are Christian. Your friend could well have believed she was in some sort of Pagan worship because many people outside the church believe that about Cathoics. Ask her why she had that reaction. If she is someone you may stay with, she needs to respect your beliefs even if she cannot yet see the truth in them.

Thanks everyone.

I knew that it would be shocking for her. I remember being shocked when I went to my first protestant service years ago. I was/am a little hurt about it so I think I will hold off talking to her for a little while. But when I do, I am going to ask her what made her react the way she did.

And then I am going to invite her to another MASS! And I think the next time I see her will be at that mass.

I know I would probably be the same if I had been brought to a Protestant service.

When we know and love what we do, the thought of anything different if very uncomfortable.

[quote=santaro75]I was/am a little hurt about it so I think I will hold off talking to her for a little while. But when I do, I am going to ask her what made her react the way she did.

And then I am going to invite her to another MASS! And I think the next time I see her will be at that mass.

[/quote]

Right on! :thumbsup:

How about getting her the Catholic Tract, “Mass Appeal”, by Jimmy Akin. Not only is it quick and easy to read, but she’ll be stunned to find out that we have some pretty sound reasons for what we do and believe in Mass. And to top it off…THEY’RE ALL BIBLICAL!!!

So after she gets over the shock of experiencing everything at once, and you get her to go back to Mass one more time, she’ll realize that you are dipping your hand in the holy water (holy water comes from the old testament) and making the sign of the cross (reminding us of our baptismal oath), and she won’t be so shocked by each little idiosyncrasy.

Good Luck,

NotWorthy

as someone who was brought up in a very conservative liturgical lutheran environment(lcms). i had the opposite reaction the first time i attended wifey,s parish=no crucifix behind altar,contemporary folk guitar praise band,no organ!i thought i was at some charismatic protestant service,also we kneel at the altar for holy communion and no one goes running for the door after reception of the eucharist,it,s weird but we lutherans seemed on the surface more catholic than theses catholics! in christian unity,celt

I find that such a strange reaction to have. I was raised Protestant but went to my first Mass recently. I’m very interested in the Catholic Church and seriously considering converting. I found it all very interesting. My only problem was that I really didn’t know exactly what to do and felt like I had a great big sign on me that said “I’m not really Catholic”. I really want to go back but am having a hard time getting my courage up. Please pray for me to just keep going so I can learn what is going on if you feel inclined. I have been reading up a lot and watching EWTN. I really enjoyed the Mass I attended though and thought the message (homily?) was great. It brought tears to my eyes. I’m also praying the Rosary which I’ve taught myself and love dearly. I feel that I’m developing such a love for Mary and deepening my connection to Jesus.

So I talked to her today. I asked her what experience she had that made her uncomfortable. She said the usual…doesn’t know the prayers and gestures etc. I asked her to go to the mass. She said that she wouldn’t. I then told her that I can never see her again then. She then changed her mind and said she would but this time then never again.

So, I bought her the ABC’s of worship: Mass appeal based on your reccommendation. I haven’t read it so i hope she likes it.

Here is a funny thing though. A while ago I presented a case for the Eucharist. it went like this. I said read the passages in the new testament (JN6, LK, Corinth…etc) in the light of the old testament where it talks about garden of eden, the tree of life, the fruit of the tree, Melchizedek, the sacrifices for the atonement of sins that priests ate…etc. So today she tells me that she believes the presence of Jesus’ body and blood in communion. So this is good because at least she is an independant thinker. But for her things must make sense biblically. she is a very logical person. She is not aware that this is not the belief of her church. I won’t tell her, I’ll let her figure it out in God’s time.:wink:

ok minor victory.

BE Luv, have you talked to anyone there at the church. I am sure that there are a bunch of people that would love to share with you and answer any questions you would have.

Hi BeluvdLily, have you thought about taking an RCIA class at your local Church or perhaps talking to a priest there? It is wonderful that you are considering converting. God bless you and you will be in my prayers during this time of discernment. And I agree, this website is full of information about the faith, and EWTN as also taught me so much! I love to watch it and sometimes I will even leave my T.V. on all night with it on and I wake up in the morning to the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy.

Santaro75, it sounds like she might be interested in learning more or to being open to the faith. My husband told me that all Catholics worshipped the devil when we met (I know, shocking!) and ended up converting and has never been happier and feels like he has been led home. In the beginning though he wouldn’t even go inside the Church. Let the Holy Spirit lead, pray and try to help her learn as much as you can. God bless you.

Wow santaro75 you are a Catholic Stud Man!

My wife and I went to Mass this weekend with her sister and husband who attend Calvary Chapel and they actually asked me a couple questions afterward. I really believe God is working in their lives as they were invited to Mass 2 times this weekend and went! So as evangelicals they probably went to mass more times this weekend than most Catholics. :slight_smile:

These are 2 people who felt betrayed and wouldn’t talk to my wife after we announced our intent to baptize our kids in the Church and my wife’s return to the Church. We will see if this leads to something more.

I will pray for you santaro75 and BeluvdLily tonight in my prayers with my kids.

God Bless
Scylla

Do you actually want non Catholics at mass ?

This thread brings up memories of the first Mass I went to with my wife, it was a painful experience. I mean literally, it was painful, I had a medical condition that I ended up needing surgery for and the first flare up was at that mass! From then on the running joke was that I found Mass painful. The thing for us protestants though is that tradition doesn’t mean the same thing to us that is does to you. Things that you might find draw you to the Catholic church tend to make us feel alienated. When I go to Mass with my wife I am uncomfortable. Traditions and ceremony tend to be cold to a protestant so I 'm guessing that she was dealing with the weird-out factor more than anything else. To us “ceramony” can seem like “hocus-pocus” because we don’t do things based on tradition. Instead of giving her an ultimatum maybe you should have talked to her about the basis of why you do what you do.

I had a Protestant friend come with me to Mass once. She said she loved it, that it was touching and that she really felt God’s presence.

What is interesting is that she then said she could never go to Mass again. The Catholic thing would be too attractive to her and would cause her too much discomfort in her personal life and family.

Peace

[quote=BeluvdLily]I find that such a strange reaction to have. I was raised Protestant but went to my first Mass recently. I’m very interested in the Catholic Church and seriously considering converting. I found it all very interesting. My only problem was that I really didn’t know exactly what to do and felt like I had a great big sign on me that said “I’m not really Catholic”. I really want to go back but am having a hard time getting my courage up.
[/quote]

This reminds me of something from Thomas Merton:

Another thing Catholics do not realize about converts is the tremendous, agonizing embarrassment and self-consciouness which they feel about praying publicly in a Catholic Church. They effort it takes to overcome all the strange imaginary fears that everyone is looking at you, and that they all think you are crazy or ridiculous, is something that costs a tremendous effort. And that day in Santa Sabina, although the church was almost entirely empty, I walked across the stone floor mortally afraid that a poor devout Italian woman was following me with suspicious eyes. As I knelt to pray, I wondered if she would run out and accuse me at once to the priests, with scandalous horror, for coming and praying in their church–as if Catholics were perfectly content to have a lot of heretic tourists walking about their churches with complete indifference and irreverence, and would angry if one of them so far acknowledged God’s presence there as to go on his knees for a few seconds and say a prayer!

–Seven Storey Mountain

[quote=needsomepeace]Do you actually want non Catholics at mass ?
[/quote]

I give you one reason I don’t delve deeper into the faith.

Hi Rhubarb, needsomepeace’s professed religion in their profile is “don’t know”, so perhaps they were just truly curious as to whether or not Catholics want non-Catholics at their masses. The answer is “yes”, everyone is welcomed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.