Protestants and their beleifs

As someone in an RCIA course, I would like to express some concern/caution to others on the general grouping of the word “protestant” . This is a pretty large grouping which includes a wide array of theologies ranging from Anglican to Pentacostal. One of the common prayers during an Anglican service is to pray for the good estate of the Catholic church. Not all “protestants” are out to destroy the catholic church.

Most of the current concerns/complaints stem from slander generated by political rightwing American Baptist/ Baptizo type theologies. (when you baptize don’t miss a hair).

Having said that it would be wise to understand that the average person working for minimum wage is not a theologian. They are born into a specific faith group not of choice. Also, it is easy for those who feel unloved to be drawn into a cult. Try not to group such persons with those who are educated, very well paid, and spread hatred as a virtue.

The greatest gift the Catholic church can provide ( needs to provide) in this century is to advance a very simple gospel for the poor, the lonely, and the lost. This will prevent them from being swallowed up by false prophets.

Being Christian is simply believing in Christ and following the gospel teachings.

In God’s eyes the good Samaritan actually was good. He showed compassion to those who hated him and constantly ridiculed his belief. Try not to return hatred for hatred. I know this is difficult, and something I also struggle with.

God Bless

j

Thank you for the reminder!!

When I refer to non-catholics I use the term “protestant”

When I see someone slander the Church I use the term “anti-catholic”

robertjohn,

Your post reflects that your RCIA classes are making you study and think. Maybe you always check with the Catechism before you accept a new idea. One of those d a r n Protestants would go stumbling throught the Bible to find an “answer”. And then they would not know for sure. They do not have the Bible, the Traditions of the Church and the Magesterium to ask, do they? Thats why they are so divided. We have what Protestants call , “The Gospel Truth”.

I know not all protestants are out to get us:) Most have been taught lies about us all their life.However, when they come here and do not listen to anything we say and accuse without shame despite evidence to the contrary, we have to defend ourselves and I am thankful for the mods,who know when enough is enough:thumbsup: God Bless

[quote=Lisa4Catholics]I know not all protestants are out to get us:) Most have been taught lies about us all their life.However, when they come here and do not listen to anything we say and accuse without shame despite evidence to the contrary, we have to defend ourselves and I am thankful for the mods,who know when enough is enough:thumbsup: God Bless
[/quote]

I have never come on this forum to argue “Protestantism.” Is there such a thing? My arguments have always been Biblically based, not “denominationally” based. I am a "Biblicist," not a Protestant.

The difference between us is that you argue from your form of Catholicism (Roman), which entails unique Western traditions, the teachings of your “Magesterium” which you accept as infallible, and submissioin to your church hierarchy. Not all of what is called “catholic” accepts what is taught by Rome. What you call “catholic” is really not "universal" at all, but is restricted to your religious system. This entails many teachings that cannot be proved to be either Apostolic or Biblical. They are unique to your religion, hence, can be and should be challenged.

Point is, there is no true division between “Protestantism” and “Catholicism.” There are different kinds of “Protestants” and different kinds of “Catholics.” However, there is a difference in personal faith,* i.e.,* the object of one’s faith. The object being either one’s religious system, or the Person and work of Jesus Christ alone. This is the fundamental difference - and has always been since Pentecost: Christ vs. religion.

I never realized before how much non Catholic Christians hate the word Protestant. I used to be a Methodist and that would have made me a Protestant. I never knew that I was “protesting” I was just raised in a church.

I feel free being a Catholic. Protestants could never understand what I am talking about, there is something so powerful and peaceful when we are in communion with the Church Jesus founded. I would never go back!

Peace to you all,
Ginny

[quote=Exporter]robertjohn,

They do not have the Bible, QUOTE]

I hope you don’t mean what I think you mean by that.
[/quote]

Religion n. 1a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.

So Christianity is the same as religion. Believing in God as the supreme being and creator of the universe is religion. Believing that Jesus Christ is the only begotten son of God, and is one in being with the Father is religion. If you believe that Jesus Christ died to pay the penalty for your sins, you are a religious person. That the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son, and with the Father and the Son, He is worshipped and glorified is religion.

If you believe these things, you are a religious person, like it or not. The only truely “non-religious” people in existance are agnostics. They don’t know if there is a greater being, and don’t really care to find out. This whole arguement, “I’m a true bible Christian, not a religious person,” really means is that you want to make up your own brand of Christianity for yourself and not be held accountable to any type of standard. Well, Jesus gave us standards, the Church is the defender of those standards, and if you reject them out of hand, you are rejecting the one who gave them to us.

[quote=Ozzie]I have never come on this forum to argue “Protestantism.” Is there such a thing? My arguments have always been Biblically based, not “denominationally” based. I am a "Biblicist," not a Protestant.

The difference between us is that you argue from your form of Catholicism (Roman), which entails unique Western traditions, the teachings of your “Magesterium” which you accept as infallible, and submissioin to your church hierarchy. Not all of what is called “catholic” accepts what is taught by Rome. What you call “catholic” is really not "universal" at all, but is restricted to your religious system. This entails many teachings that cannot be proved to be either Apostolic or Biblical. They are unique to your religion, hence, can be and should be challenged.

Point is, there is no true division between “Protestantism” and “Catholicism.” There are different kinds of “Protestants” and different kinds of “Catholics.” However, there is a difference in personal faith,* i.e.,* the object of one’s faith. The object being either one’s religious system, or the Person and work of Jesus Christ alone. This is the fundamental difference - and has always been since Pentecost: Christ vs. religion.
[/quote]

[quote=Ozzie]However, there is a difference in personal faith,* i.e.,* the object of one’s faith. The object being either one’s religious system, or the Person and work of Jesus Christ alone. This is the fundamental difference - and has always been since Pentecost: Christ vs. religion.
[/quote]

Are you saying that Catholics do not have faith in Jesus? I grant that some who may call themselves Catholic do not have faith in Jesus and do not follow him (there is always the confused person here and there), but do you mean more than that?

Are you saying that you have no “religion” or just that you do not believe in your religious beliefs? In what way do you mean that you have no faith in the set of truths that comprise your faith?

Are you saying that it is wrong to believe that Jesus spoke certain words and meant something by them and that it is wrong to act on what you believe about it? Do you mean that you can only believe in Jesus and not the words he gave to us?

Cathlics believe in things, because of God. God guarantees some things to be true. It is on his account that one believes, not just because a man says something is true. God’s revelation about himself is reliable and worthy of belief. He has made it so that we can know some things about him and his plans. I see no reason to deny the stuff he has revealed, etc.

[quote=savedbygrace]I never realized before how much non Catholic Christians hate the word Protestant. I used to be a Methodist and that would have made me a Protestant. I never knew that I was “protesting” I was just raised in a church.

I feel free being a Catholic. Protestants could never understand what I am talking about, there is something so powerful and peaceful when we are in communion with the Church Jesus founded. I would never go back! Peace to you all, Ginny
[/quote]

Then you should change your name to “savedbygraceplusworks.”

[quote=Pug]Are you saying that it is wrong to believe that Jesus spoke certain words and meant something by them and that it is wrong to act on what you believe about it? Do you mean that you can only believe in Jesus and not the words he gave to us?
[/quote]

Well, Jesus did say, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me” (Jn. 14:6). Do you believe His words? Have you by faith come to Him, to Him alone?

I find your lack of understanding of Grace, works, and faith…laughable at best…especially since you seem to self proclaim you are the definitve source for all three.

[quote=Ozzie]Then you should change your name to “savedbygraceplusworks.”
[/quote]

And your point being? Do you even know the point your are making? because the quote you used does not disprove any Catholic POV…it only reinforces them.

[quote=Ozzie]Well, Jesus did say, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me” (Jn. 14:6). Do you believe His words? Have you by faith come to Him, to Him alone?
[/quote]

[quote=Ozzie]I have never come on this forum to argue “Protestantism.” Is there such a thing? My arguments have always been Biblically based, not “denominationally” based. I am a "Biblicist," not a Protestant. .
[/quote]

Hi Ozzie,

May the Lord bless and watch over you. There are basically three forms of Christianity. They are: Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant. The protestants are those which separated from the Church (or derived from those that did) in the mid 1500s. Here is some informatio you might find interesting:

Do you have any idea when your faith was founded and by whom? You may find this enlightening:
If you are a member of the Jewish faith, your faith was founded about 4,000 years ago.
If you are Catholic, Jesus Christ founded your Church in the year A.D. 30.
If you are Islamic, Mohammed started your religion in what is now Saudi Arabia around A.D. 600.
If you are Eastern Orthodox, your sect separated from Roman Catholicism around the year 1054.
If you are Lutheran, your religion was founded by Martin Luther, an ex-monk in the Catholic Church, in 1517.
If you belong to the Church of England (Anglican), your religion was founded by King Henry VIII in the year 1534 because the pope would not grant him a divorce with the right to remarry.
If you are a Presbyterian, your religion was founded when John Knox brought the teachings of John Calvin to Scotland in the Year 1560.
If you are Unitarian, your group developed in Europe in the 1500s.
If you are a Congregationalist, your religion branched off Puritanism in the early 1600s in England.
If you are a Baptist, you owe the tenets of your religion to John Smyth, who launched it in Amsterdam in 1607.
If you are a Methodist, your religion was founded by John and Charles Wesley in England in 1744.
If you are an Episcopalian, your religion came from England to the American colonies. It formed a separate religion founded by Samuel Seabury in 1789.
If you are a Mormon (Latter-day Saints), Joseph Smith started your church in Palmyra, N.Y. in 1830.
If you worship with the Salvation Army, your sect began with William Booth in London in 1865.
If you are a Christian Scientist, you look to 1879 as the year your religion was founded by Mary Baker Eddy.
If you are a Jehovah’s Witness, your religion was founded by Charles Taze Russell in Pennsylvania in the 1870s.
If you are Pentecostal, your religion was started in the United States in 1901.

There are, of course newer versions. In particular the “non-denominationals” seem to have sprung up in the 1960s. or so.

May God bless you and guide you to the pillar and bullwark of truth.

[quote=Ozzie]Well, Jesus did say, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me” (Jn. 14:6). Do you believe His words? Have you by faith come to Him, to Him alone?
[/quote]

Yes, I believe those words of Jesus. They have some similarity to the words in Acts about the one name given to men by which we are saved. They also remind me of the deny yourself and take up your cross and follow me quote. Jesus is God’s plan. Jesus is our Lord and Savior.

To him alone, you write. I don’t think this way. I believe in God the Father, so Jesus is not alone. The very quote you quote is about going to the Father through Jesus. It seems the very antithesis of going to Jesus alone?

But how does this answer my question about what you are saying about only believing in Jesus and not believing a set of beliefs? Your quote highlights one of my beliefs, that Jesus and the Father are related. I believe that, it is part of my faith.

Just my two cents…

Just believing in Jesus alone and shunning all the rest of the Bible is very disturbing to me.

What about when the rich guy asks Jesus what must he do to be saved? What about Jesus saying be baptized and be saved? Why should I ignore all that Jesus said about salvation and just believe what Paul says?
What did the apostles have to do? I am sure that one of them believed in Jesus more than any of us and he betrayed Him. If he used the formula of the sinners prayer (which we don’t see any of the apostles do) then he should be saved regardless of his betrayal.

I like to take a more realistic (even though it is more difficult) approach. Each Sunday (and some weekdays if I get the chance to get to mass) I do profess my faith in Jesus Christ, not only that I confess with with my mouth my faith in God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Not a one time deal, but a repeated confession of my beliefs, throughout my lifetime.
Not only that, I do not deny that I have pick up my cross daily and live the life God wants me to live.

Faith, hope and love… 1 Corinthians 13:13

What is the greatest of these? Is it Faith? Read it carefully.

The Bible sure doesn’t teach faith alone, and I will not follow the traditions of men but I will follow Jesus and his Church.

[quote=Pug]Yes, I believe those words of Jesus.
[/quote]

I didn’t ask if you believe His words, I asked what they mean to you.

To him alone, you write. I don’t think this way. I believe in God the Father, so Jesus is not alone. The very quote you quote is about going to the Father through Jesus. It seems the very antithesis of going to Jesus alone?

There’s nothing antithetical in Jesus’ statement. “No one comes to the Father, but through Me” is in reference to Jesus alone. You cannot come to the Father through the Father, in fact, the Father sent the Son to open the way to Him. So what does Jesus mean when He says, *“I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father buth through Me?” *

[quote=scylla]Just my two cents…

Just believing in Jesus alone and shunning all the rest of the Bible is very disturbing to me.
[/quote]

Do you think that when Jesus said "no one comes to the Father but through Me" He was shunning the rest of the Bible? Is not the O.T. the anticipation of Him? Are not the Gospel accounts the revelation of Him? Is not the Book of Acts the propagation of Him? Are not the Epistles the explanation of Him? Is not the Book of Revelation the consummation of Him? How would believing in Jesus alone shun the rest of the Bible? What was told to the Phillippian jailer when he asked how to be saved?

What do you think “believe” in Jesus Christ means?

[quote=Ignatius]Hi Ozzie,

May the Lord bless and watch over you. There are basically three forms of Christianity. They are: Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant. The protestants are those which separated from the Church (or derived from those that did) in the mid 1500s. Here is some informatio you might find interesting:
[/quote]

Thank you for the blessing, and may He watch over you as well. However, it is impossible for any true believer to “separate” from the Church. The “Church” is the Body/Bride of Christ made up of all true believers and which Christ has been building since Pentecost. When one truly puts his faith in Christ he is baptized by the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ, which is the Church (see. 1 Cor. 12:13; Col. 1:18). This my friend is not Rome’s teaching, but God’s in His immutable, written Word.

Yes, there are many organizations in “Christianity,” or better, “Christendom.” But there is only one true “Body,” one true Church, and it was not “founded” by Christ in Rome, no did it settle in Rome by any Apostle of Christ. It is a living organism called out from individual Jews and Gentiles throughout each successive generation since Pentecost. And Christ knows those who are His (2 Tim. 2:19).

[quote=dumspirospero]I find your lack of understanding of Grace, works, and faith…laughable at best…especially since you seem to self proclaim you are the definitve source for all three.
[/quote]

Then by all means keep laughing. Who am I to disturb your source of amusement.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.