Protestants: Apologetics Books

Hey guys :slight_smile:

So, I don’t really know how many protestants hang around here but I might as well ask.

I’m a PhD student, and alot of my research revolves around organized religion. I’m trying to find out more about generally what different denominations have to say about what and why they believe and what arguments they use to explain and defend these views.

Could any of you recommend some books that you know that might help me? I’m looking for stuff at any level really, books for new converts to higher theology so I can compare and contrast different arguments in my writings.

Thanks a lot!

From a Lutheran POV, start with the Book of Concord bookofconcord.org/index.php

You can also check out the Lutheran theology website here: angelfire.com/ny4/djw/lutherantheology.html

Jon

Brilliant, thanks JonNC, I’ve just ordered myself a copy and am looking through those links now. I’ve got a fair bit of reading to do it seems :o

Thanks a bunch! :smiley:

Michael Horton: putting Amazing Back Into Grace
R. C. Sproul - Chosen By God

Systematic Theology: A Pentecostal Perspective, edited by Stanley M. Horton and published by Logion Press/Gospel Publishing House, is a good overview of beliefs of the Assemblies of God and similar Pentecostal groups.

Anthony D. Palma’s The Holy Spirit: A Pentecostal Perspective lays out a detailed Pentecostal pneumatology.

Two works by Pentecostal theologian Roger Stronstad are important defenses of Pentecostal pneumatology, especially their reading of Acts: The Charismatic Theology of St. Luke and The Prophethood of All Believers.

Roger E. Olson’s Arminian Theology: Myth and Realities seems to be a nice resource for understanding the Arminian/Calvinist divide among non-Lutheran Protestants.

The Lord’s Supper: Five Views, edited by Gordon T. Smith, is a nice volume. A Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Reformed, Baptist, and Pentecostal theologian each contributes a chapter explaining his own traditions understanding of the Eucharist. Then the other contributors write responses.

Wayne Grudem has written a really nice and comprehensive systematic theology from a charismatic Reformed perspective: Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine.

Finally, this is not a theological work but rather a historical work. George Marsden’s Understanding Fundamentalism and Evangelicalism.

meads handbook of denominations

pctii.org/online.html

monergism.com/thethreshold/books/onlinebooks.html

onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/browse?type=lcsubc&key=Oneness%20doctrine%20(Pentecostalism

onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/browse?type=lcsubc&key=Pentecostalism%20–%20Periodicals

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.