Protestants can you help

There are hundreds of millions of Protestants, all interpreting Scripture individually by mere personal opinion, and with all of them claiming “The Holy Spirit Told Me”.
How can this possibly be, when every doctrine taught by one sect is denied by another, except for the existence of GOD? One claims the “spirit” told them to worship on Saturday, another makes the same claim except they were told Sunday. One says the “spirit” told them not to baptize infants. Yet another makes the same claim from the “spirit”, but insists they were told just the opposite, they must baptize infants.
One claims they were “told” to have communion once a week, yet another was “told” once a month, and yet a third was “told” quarterly. You can readily see that I could go on and on down through the whole list of beliefs and find one which teaches one way and another to the contrary.
Since GOD is one, with only one truth and with only one Holy Spirit, how could that one Spirit of truth be prompting those who have contradicting viewpoints?

Another “Protestants…” thread. Strawman erected. Bait cast out.

“Protestants can you help?” More like, “Protestants can you post so I can judge you and make a fool of you?”

Don’t play, folks.

Hi Bill,
Since you all, and since I assume you include Lutherans as Protestants, I take it you have sources to back up the assertion that this is what Lutherans do. Please site them, and since the Book of Concord is the Lutheran confession, I’ll link it here so you can more easily find it.

www.bookofconcord.org

Oh, before you spend your time, here is a quote from Martin Chemnitz which should give you a hint as to whether or not you’ll find it.

This is also certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages… We also gratefully and reverently use the labors of the fathers who by their commentaries have profitably clarified many passages of the Scripture. And we confess that we are greatly confirmed by the testimonies of the ancient church in the true and sound understanding of the Scripture. Nor do we approve of it if someone invents for himself a meaning which conflicts with all antiquity, and for which there are clearly no testimonies of the church.

Jon

I assume Mr. Pick has personally interviewed these hundreds of millions of Protestants and all of them have said the same sorts of things with remarkable uniformity. Or is this his personal interpretation of Protestant behavior? Since he would probably say no, as he disavows personal interpretation, it must be his personal interpretation of Catholic teaching. After all, it is his personal conviction that the Catholic Church is correct, based on his personal interpretation of facts that he has personally inspected. Perhaps he would be so good as to show us the actual Catholic teaching he is promoting in his post, so we can personally interpret it also. Otherwise it is only his personal opnion, but it is clear, in my personal interpretation, that he condemns personal opinion, so having one would be, for him, an act of hypocrisy.:smiley:

I’m not usually as direct or blunt as I am with the following questions, but in light of your questions and what seems to be the reasons behind your questions I felt I had to be blunt. I don’t mean to offend.

Who told Catholics that the Virgin Mary was sinless or immaculately conceived? Please show references.

Or who told Cathlolics Peter was the first Pope? Again references please. Did you know Peter was married. If he is your example, why don’t popes or other priests get married? Do you know priests and other church leader in the Bible usually were married?

Who told Catholics that Jesus didn’t have brothers and sisters (Mary and Joseph’s children) because the Bible says He did have sibblings? References please.

Who told Catholics to call their priests ‘father’ when the Bible says not to call anyone father because there is one Father, our Heavenly Father? References please.

I guess I’d rather have a contradictory belief form other Christians that I can see some evidence for in the Bible than believe things that are different from the direct teachings of the Bible.

Maybe because we have a mind of our own, and are capable of using that which God gave us. And who are you to question whether or not The Holy Spirit told us what we believe. Better Him than a fallible human! who claims a holier than thou attitude!

Every problem seen in non catholic churches are ever present in catholic also. catholics are simply too ashamed to admit it.

I can’t wait to see answers to these! God Bless Dokimas

Hi Bill,

Can you back up your assertion with verifiable proof that this is what Episcopalians do?
If not, I am forced to agree that this is but another in a long line of set up the Protestants so we can tell them how stupid they are from our opinion of things.

This is off topic. Feel free to start another thread asking these questions, which have been answered many times. You can also read the very website you are on (www.catholic.com) and find answers to these questions as well :eek:.

How is it “off topic”? Seems to me to be exactly on topic, and quite fitting.

Really? Too ashamed to admit what exactly?

I can guarantee whether I’m in the US, Italy, Poland, Timbuktu, etc, & went to Mass all Catholics worldwide would be hearing & reading the same thing.
I know what St. Benedict’s teaches & professes, the same will be taught & professed at St. Patricks, etc.

Now, if I went to a Baptist church down the road, then went to another Baptist church 6 towns over, it’d be different. I know b/c I’ve been there, done that.

I believe the OP is asking a sincere question as to how can the Holy Spirit tell JoeBob one thing & then tell PeggySue another on the same issue. I don’t see this as baiting in the least.

So can you (since you use your mind & us dumb old Cathlics don’t) tell me why the Holy Spirit gives people different “answers” on the same issues or not? :rolleyes:

This statement is just not true. While it is true I am sure, that some do interpret by “mere personal opinion”. It is not true that all do.

How can this possibly be, when every doctrine taught by one sect is denied by another, except for the existence of GOD? One claims the “spirit” told them to worship on Saturday, another makes the same claim except they were told Sunday. One says the “spirit” told them not to baptize infants. Yet another makes the same claim from the “spirit”, but insists they were told just the opposite, they must baptize infants.
One claims they were “told” to have communion once a week, yet another was “told” once a month, and yet a third was “told” quarterly. You can readily see that I could go on and on down through the whole list of beliefs and find one which teaches one way and another to the contrary.
Since GOD is one, with only one truth and with only one Holy Spirit, how could that one Spirit of truth be prompting those who have contradicting viewpoints?

The answer to this is actually very simple and is found in Isaiah 8:20To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
If doctrine does not align with the bible, throw it out and keep studying. This is true for Catholic doctrine as well.

Hello Jon,

Do all Lutherans confess the Book of Concord?

There seem to be some pretty diverse opinions among Lutherans concerning such issues as
[LIST]
*]ordaining active homosexuals
*]contraception
*]abortion
[/LIST]

I’m just interested in seeing the answers to the OP’s question. Because the last time I looked at a discussion like this, on another site, the answer was “Different interpretations are the result of people’s agendas, and if people only read the Bible without an agenda, they would all get the same interpretation.”

I don’t buy it, though, because people have different ways of reading, different amounts of experience regarding scripture, and their interpretation will likely be influenced by their past experiences, right? And how would a person know if their interpretation is not agenda-driven?

I was hoping to see some different answers in this thread. But so far nobody’s given any clear-cut answers… just "back-at-you"s. :confused:

Anyway, the reason I quoted you: I looked through older threads to see if there were any similar ones, and found this. I think the first post answers your questions:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=341477

I think you put that very well, O.S. Luke. Unfortunately, I suspect that a good number of Protestant posters will be successfully “baited”, because either:
(1) they’ve bought into some form of false ecumenism, or
(2) they’re just easily baited in general

(Note: That’s not to say that (1) and (2) are any more true of Protestants then they are of Catholics.)

Good question, Mark.
And the answer is that, like a good number of American Catholics, sadly there are some Lutherans that do not stay true to the confessions.
It is my understanding that the ELCA is considering the question of openly practicing homosexual clegy. The very fact that it is a question to consider is heartbreaking.
I don’t think there are any Lutheran synods that support abortion, and I’d have to look up contraception teachings.

Jon

We see in a glass dimly, but when the perfect comes, we’ll know as we are known. (1 Corinthians 13:12) – this is your answer. We ALL are fallible. It is dangerous for any of lus to say, “God told me.” NO person or NO church should claim such authority; ALL churches are made up of sinners that will have some measure of fallibility until Heaven.

Is the Pope always infallible? The ‘first’ Pope was wrong. Paul took him to task.

What about eating meat on Fridays? The Holy Spirit directed Catholics not to eat. Then He changed His mind??? Looks like we all can have similar problems hearing and obeying.

Any time anyone or any church says they have all the correct answers, time to watch out. Paul didn’t have the correct answers all the time. He judged John Mark incorrectly. Thank God for Barnabas. I’m sure Paul thanked God for Barnabas because John Mark came to be a blessing to Paul in later years.

I’ve been to a number of Catholic funerals. Most of the Mass/service was quite a blessing. I fear most of those in attendence had no clue of the truths spoken.

Sincerely,

Dokimas

No!

Hi Bill,
I’ve come to see, through this site, that “Protestantism” is just a handy name for a whole bunch of people, some of whom would consider some others heretics. If Denomination B disagrees with Denomination C, each of them might consider the other to be as heretical as the Catholic Church. Their simple answer to your question is that the Holy Spirit is not prompting all those contradicting viewpoints, just theirs.

But I hear your frustration. Sure, it would probably be satisfying on some level to see a Baptist and a Calvinist have a debate about something, (probably predestination?), but you know what the name of this site is. We are in the middle of the ring, we are the warriors, and we need to take each battle one by one.

Peace,
Spirithound

There is a difference between discipline and doctrine. Not eating meat is discipline, not doctrine.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=159833

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.