Protestants: Do you believe your interpretation of Scripture is infallible?

Protestants: Do you believe your interpretation of Scripture is infallible? Explain.

HA! 83% (as of 9:30 central time May 24th 2007) have said “No, I could be wrong”…and Protestants say we are fools for not believing in “Once Saved Always Saved,” yet they cannot even be sure they believe it…they could be wrong.

Most of the Protestants that I know say they their intepretation could be wrong so they don’t claim infallibility. I just want to see what the Protestants have to say on this if this bear any truth.

An awful lot of Protestants don’t believe in OSAS. Could you be wrong about Protestants?

“Interpertation”

2 Peter 1:

16 For we did not follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty. 17 For He received from God the Father honor and glory when such a voice came to Him from the Excellent Glory: “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” 18 And we heard this voice which came from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain.
19 And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

You cannot tell me that YOUR interpretation of Scripture is for me.
John 16:12-13

“I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come."

“You”. Not as in one person, but to all believers. If you are in Jesus and Jesus is in you, He will reveal His truth to you. My truth may not be true to you because you are not me living under the circumstances that I do and the same applies to you. That’s also why the four Gospels are a little different from one-another. If the Holy Spirit tells you to follow the voice of a man in Rome, then do so. However, you cannot tell me that I am wrong for not following what the Holy Spirit told you.

The Word of God is alive. It’s the only “book” that can be different to different readers. It is unique from all of the other books ever written.

Anyway, it doesn’t really matter to you if my “interpretation” of Scripture is true or not. Your denomination has other things besides Scripture to cover its own butt.

I am not a Protestant but I did convert to the Catholic Church from a back ground of “Sola Scriptura.”

I don’t think many, if any, Protestant Christians will say their view of Sacred Scripture is infallible. I think they will say it is reasonable to assume it is correct because of .

I find it very interesting that the Catholic Magisterium has only infallibly defined like a dozen or so Scriptural passages. (I used to have a list of them but of course now I can’t find it. I do recall one passage is John 6 where Jesus speaks of eating His flesh and drinking His blood.)

I think assuming that Protestant Christians think their ideas on Scripture are infallible isn’t a good one to hold. This notion assumes the Protestant Christian in question is haughty. That can lead to prejudice, and all sorts of other ideas and emotions that tend to keep us from being united as Christians. Maybe this just isn’t the road to go down.

No I do not see my view of scripture as infallible…I see no one’s interpretation of scripture as infallible.

Each of us comes to the pages of scripture with preconceptions, different understanding and educational backgrounds and with our own preconceived ideas and religious preconceptions.

God reaches each of us where we are at. While I believe I have a pretty good grasp of biblical history and development as well as the history of the developing Christian church, I don’t see myself as “infallible”…but by the astounding grace and love of God in Christ, I have relationship with Him…“faith”, not in my works, but “faith” that He has everything under control…and through obedience to the Light, I move into deeper communion with Him…I might not “get it right” in every way…but He does…and in His grace and love is where my trust lies.

Of course not. No man is infallible. I think that is where they disagree with the CC in that the CC claims papal infallibility. Just my :twocents: .

But therein lay the problem, if we all come with preconceptions etc, how do any of us know the Truth? Either we know the Truth, or we dont know the truth.

Forgive my generalization…I live in Arkansas, and overwhelmingly Protestants here hold to OSAS.

The Holy Spirit’s interpretation is infallible, of course!

The Catholic or Protestant Institutions’ are not, however.

OSAS is a very comfortable belief … Who doesn’t want a comfortable belief? :slight_smile:

No problem. Just remember as our Catholic brethern like to remind us, there are many varieties of Protestant faiths and while some generalizations are valid, others are not.

How do you know what the Holy Spirit says? Do you hear a voice from Heaven that interprets Holy Scripture for you? No? Then how do we know the Truth at all?

How do you know what the Holy Spirit says? Do you hear a voice from Heaven telling you how to interpret Holy Scripture? No? Then how are we to know the Truth, if we can never ever be assured of the Truth?

OSAS comfortable? OSAS is unscriptural…how comfortable is that?

catholic.com/library/assurance_of_salvation.asp

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will inherit the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven” (St. Matt. 7:21).

I don’t believe in OSAS. People fall or “backslide”. Repenting means to get back up after you fall. (confess your sin, ask for forgiveness, continue on)

:thumbsup: Great post. This is so true.

How do you know what the Holy Spirit says? Do you hear a voice from Heaven telling you how to interpret Holy Scripture? No? Then how are we to know the Truth, if we can never ever be assured of the Truth?

Does Benedict hear a voice, or the magisterium?

OSAS comfortable? OSAS is unscriptural…how comfortable is that?

I do not believe in OSAS … I simply meant to say that it is rather comfortable to believe that one is eternally secure after the citation of the Sinner’s Prayer, is it not? And I agree wholeheartedly, it isn’t Scriptural at all.

This is an endless debate. I for one will say that we should in this foggy matter trust in God and his Word–that his Spirit will in fact lead us into Truth if we only let him. Past this, I will say no more on this subject.

I do not believe that my interpretation is infallible. However the Holy Spirit guides us in reading. Sometimes I read a passage and it is clear to me. I think that the necessary things are clear to any person who has the capacity to read and understand. Other passages are more difficult but become understandable by using the clearer passages to help interpret them. In some cases I will read a commentary that will help me understand. I have gained insight from the notes to many bibles, including the Douay-Rheims. Sermons and other sources also help. I find as I again read passages that I have had problems with, after looking at some of these sources or just out of the blue, that many of them become clear. I believe this is the help of the Holy Spirit.

When Jesus said that you must be “born again”, the origional word is a “progressive verb”. Meaning: you must be born again and again and again and again and so on. It’s a work in the making. That’s why Paul says we go from “faith to faith”, one level to another and another.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.