Protestants, does the Holy Spirit proceed from the Father & Son or just the Father?

There’s a big flap between the Orthodox and Catholics over whether the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father (Orthodox) or the Father and the Son (Catholic). The preceding statement is an oversimplification, but I’m just wondering how y’all view this.

If you have an opinion, please state whether it’s your own personal opinion or the teaching of your particular church.

Thanks.

Or could you not possibly care less?

All the Protestants that I know believe the same thing that we do.

Most Protestants officially follow the West in this discussion but it’s not exactly a center of the radar issue for us.

Christ breathing on the Apostles and giving them the Holy Spirit (John 20:22) surely indicates a procession from the Son as well as from the Father.

My initial opinion is that we recieve the Holy Spirit from the Father through Jesus Christ. Im not sure what my church teaches on this. Ill have to ask. Im sure there is Scripture on this.:thumbsup: Jesus is always saying how everything comes from the Father.

My opinion has been informed by the teaching of Christ through His Catholic Church and thus coincides with His truth, thanks be to God! :slight_smile:

Here is a good article that addresses the issue:

bringyou.to/apologetics/a52.htm

How we personally receive the Holy Spirit is different from the issue that divides the Catholic and Orthodox Churches. The article I linked in my previous post explains the issue.

Many of the traditional Protestant churches, such as the Lutheran churches, still recite the Creed during their liturgical service. The Creed they recite includes the filioque clause.

From my understanding, St. Augustine had some things to say about the double procession. Since many Protestant Reformers were influenced by their interpretations of St. Augustine, it is no surprise that the Protestants who yet have liturgical services still retain the double procession clause.

Remember that Catholics and Protestants were once united as the Western Church. As a result, we also use the filioque in our recitations of the Nicene Creed.

“And I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, & Giver of Life, Who proceedeth from the Father and the Son; Who with the Father & the Son is worshipped & glorified”…

That’s what the Creed says, & that’s what I believe. And yes, that is what the United Methodist Church & the Free Methodist Church both teach…(At least, that’s what they taught me!!)

Hi Mark, most protestants accept the first 6-8 councils as authoritive, one of those stated that “*n the Holy Spirit, Lord and giver of Life, proceeding from the Father through the Son.” Council of Nicea II (A.D. 787).

scripturecatholic.com/the_holy_spirit.html#tradition-II

I am assuming that our Orthodox brothern are building their case on the word proceed in John 15:26 and would likely say that word is not applied to the spirit proceeding from the Son.

John 15:26
But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the **Spirit of truth, which proceedeth **from the Father, he shall testify of me:

But, in that same text above Jesus says that he sends the Spirit too. In the texts below the Spirit is spoken of as belonging to God “Spirit of God” and belonging to Christ, “Spirit of Christ” thus both the Father and Son have ownership. Since the Son of God is the living God, 2 Cor 3:3 would apply to him too, not just to the father.

2 Corinthians 3:3
You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.

Romans 8:9
You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.*

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.