Protestants: Does your celbration of Christmas bother you?

Protestants:

As christians we all celebrate the feast day of Christmas or more to the point “Christ’s Mass”, a Catholic tradition. Protestants being a part of the Church, although a separted part, are united to the Catholic Church at this time of year by some of the traditions held by the Church.

It seems strange that Christ’s Mass, one of the many Catholic small “t” traditions, is one that you celebrate. If you are a sola scriptura christian how do you justify such a celebration of Christ’s Mass? Why man living nativity scenes at your place of worship? Why have special faith gathering services on Christmas Day since they are not required from the bible? Why celebrate with family the birth of the Lord at this time of year. The bible never says when Jesus was born. The Catholic Church does tell us when to celebrate the birth of Christ. We are not told that is the birthday of Jesus, just when to celebrate it by the Church.

Why is so December 25th such an important date to you if you ignore the authority of the Church but observe one of her feast days this month as one of the holiest of days of the year?

ive wondered the same

I know protestants who go to the other end of the spectrum and not only don’t celebrate Christmas but label it a pagan Holiday created by the Catholic Church… :shrug:

My wife’s father goes to our home town’s Christmas tree lighting to protest what he calls the, “great idolatree” and to “witness” to all the people there who he believes are all worshiping the tree and falling into of the celebration of a pagan holiday.

So between that and Protestants celebrating Christmas, I would rather see them celebrating it.

God bless

As its origins are pagan, and as I think it’s demeaning to Christ to celebrate his birth (and more importantly, his salvatory work) only a time or two during the whole year, I don’t celebrate Christmas at all. However, this has little to do with whether or not the RCC celebrates it. I don’t pay much attention to the practices of the RCC in determining the practices of my own faith.

The Protestants I know (family members and friends) celebrate Christmas mostly as a secular holiday, with Christmas concerts at the Church of course, including on Christmas Eve, but it’s not really part of the liturgy - and they don’t have anything going on at the Church on Christmas day.

By contrast, you could camp out at the Catholic Church from midnight Christmas Eve until noon on Christmas Day, and hear the entire Christmas story read out from the Scriptures, with wonderful prayers, litanies, etc. One of these days, I’m actually going to do that - some year when I am unencumbered by family obligations. :slight_smile:

Really?!

When do you celebrate, Easter. If you always celebrate it on a Sunday then you follow the Catholic Churches teachings on that.

I guess it doesn’t bother me, because I don’t celebrate it.

Seventh Day Adventists (P C Master is SDA, if I recall correctly) don’t celebrate Easter, either - or their birthdays, or anything else. :wink:

Question: Is Kwanzaa an inherently Christian holiday because it coincides with the Christmas holidays (Dec. 26-Jan. 1)?

If not, WHY not? :rolleyes:

Protestants may call it “Christmas” without connecting the word with the Catholic Mass. But they, like we, are celebrating the Incarnation of Christ our Lord. There is no reason for them to be “troubled”.

Protestants don’t deny the Incarnation.

I agree.

They do deny the authority of the Church. The same Church that has set the date for the celebration of the Incarnation.

How can they deny the authority of the Church and its importance to humanity, then also claim the celebration of the Incaration on Dec. 25th as set by the same Church, they deny?

Kwanzaa has nothing to do with the Christian religion. It was started only about thirty or so years ago.

I think you are setting up a needless quibble. They accept the Trinity. They accept the Bible (well, most of it). Protestants hold most of what they received from the Catholic Church.

Some actually understand quite well why they accept it (although they do gloss over the nature of authority and who holds it).

I thought that by using a specific example like Christmas, it would force that point so they would have to confront it.

I thought he was Presbyterian or Reformed??

Baptist do not celebrate Christmas, we celebrate Christ brithday and we do that every day

Nobody really knows the day that Christ was born. It would not be in the winter because the shepherd would not be in the feilds with their sheep at that time of year. So the Catholic Church got that wrong too,

Guess again. The Catholic Church does not celebrate Christ’s birth-DAY on December 25. We commemorate His BIRTH, i.e., the Holy Nativity. We also celebrate the Incarnation at the Feast of the Annunciation on March 25, nine months earlier.

It is well and widely known that setting the date to coincide with the winter solstice and the pagan feast of sol invictus was a pastoral decision taken to co-opt the pagan feast and to state forcefully the truth that Christ is the true Light of the World.

I know people who say that in Israel today there are plenty of sheep in the fields in winter.

A Fundamental Response to a Fundamentalist Question

This is part of the Ancient Tradition handed down that belongs to the whole Church. (and it doesn’t have to be in the Bible to be accepted by many churches…few denominations are pure sola scriptura).

The Roman Catholic Church doesn’t “own” the Deposit of Faith; They are supposed to be guardians of it, not sole proprietors, who can withhold it because others do not give total allegiance to the Magisterium.
There are some things that they do “own” and can and have copyrighted and thus prevent others from using.

However the “Great Liturgical Year” is not one of them.

I agree this is a needless quibble; and other than causing people to become defensive, wonder what, if anything, it accomplishes. .:shrug:

As a former Protestant, and a member of the RCIA program, I will say that the celebration itself is mainly a secular thing in the Baptist traditions that I grew up in. We did not go to church on Christmas, unless it happened to fall on a Sunday, and even then the church would not be full. In my family, on Christmas Eve my Grandpa would read the “Christmas Story” from Luke, then a prayer was said and a speach about how we must not forget what this day is about. I know that come Christmas morning that meaning was completely forgotten, as we would rip open gifts and check our stockings. I can say that all of my protestant friends and family do realize that it is a holiday that is taken from RCC traditions and such, but no one seems to dwell on such things. I think that as long as they celebrate in some way all is good in the world. I only wish that they would have an obligation to attend church on Christmas, so that truly the “reason for the season” is kept.

Yeah. I grew up in a Protestant family where nothing was allowed to interfere with the sacred ritual of opening presents at Grandma’s on Christmas eve. My one Catholic uncle always left to go to Midnight Mass. Stuff like that made a small impression on me that lingered.

Drop. Drop. Drop. Like Chinese water torture . . . and one day, I was Catholic, too and would not miss Midnight mass for ANYTHING!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.