Protestants Focus on This Life, Catholics on the Next

Helpful. Thanks.

I respectfully disagree. I have heard many testimonies of people who weren’t even sure they believed God existed, and then they went through a very difficult trial they didn’t think they would make it through. That trial caused them to seek God & find they could make it, with His help.
I know I have experienced things I couldn’t handle in my own life. My dad moved to Heaven last year in January. I have never felt such intense pain and grief before. I felt like I was going to die for months. I mean I literally felt like I was going to physically die. My heart physically ached so much I thought I was going to have a heart attack. For 3 months I went to sleep seriously not expecting to wake up the next morning (which I was perfectly okay with), because I thought I was going to have cardiac arrest in the middle of the night. The 1 hope I had was Jesus & a promise that I would be moving with Dad someday. God spoke to my heart with comfort several months later in a worship song at church that says, “In Your kindness, You lead me home to the place where I belong.” I had a light bulb moment from God that it was His kindness to Dad that moved him home to Heaven, not what I felt was unkindness to me.
If I had not been a believer, what sort of hope would I have? I think I really may have died if I didn’t have any shred of hope, I think I would have died from broken heart syndrome (it’s a real thing).
As an aside- the Lord used Hebrews 12 to comfort me as well. I found myself talking to Dad & then feeling stupid & more angry because he couldn’t hear me, or so I thought. I hadn’t paid much attention to that passage before. But it’s pretty clear- witnesses can see & hear or they wouldn’t be witnessing anything. So I talk to him a lot now, particularly when looking for a parking space. He had some crazy aura that always allowed him to get the best spot. I ask him to clear the way for me, & he does. :laughing:

very insulting and very untrue…have a ittle Christian Charity and find out about your Christian brothers and sisters…I love you as a Christian sibling…hope you can do the same for me

Save this post for the next time a Roman Catholic says there are 40,000+ Protestant groups. :rofl:

I always thought that concept came out of this verse:

1 Corinthians 10:13
13 No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your strength, but with the temptation will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

I asked a nonbeliever (who was raised Baptist) if he ever felt sad that he wouldn’t see his loved ones ever again when he/they died. His answer was that he didn’t care. He didn’t care if people went to heaven, hell or went poof. Then I looked at this person’s life and saw that he didn’t care about people in general, unless the person could give him something - mainly money.

So nonbelievers have no hope of a next life, nor do they care. This mentality bleeds into how they live their current life, whereby they don’t care.

I see what you’re saying about how some nonbelievers view life. I know that’s not the case with all of them, though. I have friends who are nonbelievers and grieve deeply when a loved one dies. They think they’ll never, ever see them again, that their loved one’s existence just disappears as if they never existed. It’s very sad, & if I believed that along with the devastating grief I suffered when Dad moved to Heaven… It would have been really ugly for me (still would be, if I were still here).
The person you spoke to sounds bitter & angry. Makes me wonder if he had some of the fundamentalist Baptist parents & equated Jesus with that experience.

Yes! This verse you mentioned is also misinterpreted. It is specific to temptation.

How do you mean that? How is a temptation different than a trial or test of faith?

Grace is His gift to us. And gifts as we know are given for a reason-to use. How we used those gifts is what matters.

Protestants do suffer but deny it and think they are really happy. Catholics feel as if they should be suffering when they are not. Jews recognize they are suffering but laugh while doing so.

I read your statement and I grieve with you. I was raised Catholic and understand the issues. You’re statements are absolutely correct. For you, salvation is not a settle matter based on what you learned and came to believe through oral tradition. But this oral tradition contradicts the writing of the apostolic circle. This is the big clash. Eternal life for all believers is a free gift to be received by faith apart from works. It cannot get any more simple than that. If you read John’s gospel, you will find a collection of narratives all showing the freeness of salvation. Jesus spells it out over and over and over again. More so in that gospel than in all other gospels combined.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.