Protestants, in the Communion of Saints?

I was wondering are baptised Protestants in the Communion of Saints if they know it or not? Thanks

[quote=austinbond]I was wondering are baptised Protestants in the Communion of Saints if they know it or not? Thanks
[/quote]

Assuming their Baptism is valid (it usually is), they are part of Communion of Saints - even though they are unaware - up until they commit some mortal sin.

This presumes invincible ignorance. If the protestant is actually aware that the Catholic Church possesses the fullness of faith (or suspects strongly enough to warrant an open-minded query), then they excommunicate themselves (because they willingly reject full communion with the Church that Our Lord established). But this is rarely the case.

Interesting, that would put me out then I guess. As I think I’ve been open-minded about Rome, but have not determined that I believe you “possesses the fullness of faith”. So only Protestants who have never studied RC Theology or been open to it are considered to have “invincible ignorance”? It would seem those of us more “open” to considering Rome but being unconvinced would be more in alignment.

[quote=Knight4God]…I think I’ve been open-minded about Rome, but have not determined that I believe you “possesses the fullness of faith”.
[/quote]

Actually, that keeps you in the Communion of Saints. As long as you remain honestly unaware of this fact (and avoid mortal sin) you will remain part of the Body of Christ (which is what the “Communion of Saints” is).

I hope you remain open-minded, though, and visit and ask questions here. No harm in asking, right? You may find that God is calling you to a deeper faith experience.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.