Protestants, Infant Baptism and Contraception: Hypocricy?

The Catholic Church teaches that contraception is intrinsically evil, thwarts God’s law and is unscriptural. Most Protestant denominations have no restriction on contraception (since ~1930). Most Protestants say infant baptism is wrong because nowhere in Scripture does it specifically say to baptize infants. Thus, if it’s not in Scripture, it should not be done. There is no instance in Scripture where it is morally accepted to use contraception, yet contraception is widely accepted in most Protestant denominations. This Protestant reasoning is not consistent. Isn’t this hypocritical?

Please don’t bring up something like, “There is no instance in Scripture where it says not to drive your car recklessly” either, or some such thing. The Catholic Church doesn’t have dogmatic teaching on driving a vehicle, so that argument doesn’t work.

Not being a Protestant, I can only try to bring up what I may have said back in the day when I was Protestant. So I’ll try…

Birth control is not usually an issue, it’s just something we don’t think about. But as for infant baptism, those Protestants who don’t practice infant baptism can hardly claim to be Protestants in the strict sense, because the original Protestants were covenental and realized the relationship between circumcision and baptism.

Both are signs of the covenant. They are not the covenant itself, but only signs of it.

Children are a gift from God, but there is nothing sacred about the marital act that is messed up if a couple practices artificial birth control.

That’s my attempt at what I might have said, sorry it’s probably pretty lame…I’ve thought like a Catholic for over 2 years now!

That is not really true. Most Protestant denominations including Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, Anglicans, and others practice infant baptism. Only Baptists, Anabaptists, Evangelical Free, and some “non-denominational Bible” churches teach specifically against infant baptism. Before you go off and make wildly inaccurate generalizations, you might want to be more specific. It would be accurate if you said “some Protestants, usually Baptists teach against infant baptism.” If you take into consideration the actual practice of the majority of Protestant denominations regarding infant baptism, your argument becomes pretty much a non-sequitir.

Duly noted. Thank you and I apologize for the generalization.

Thank you.

Just to back this comment a bit, take a look at this:

Infant Baptism

It explains why the other denominations don’t do it, and why most do.

The RCC claims to make a stand on BC, yet it is practiced without any kind of reprimand from the priests. And yes, the same can be said of Protestant and Anabaptist denominations that preach against it as well (and yes there are some).

I’m Reformed, do not believe in birth control, and baptise my infants into the covenantal community. Inconsistancy? Not here.

To all you sweet people. May I post a comment about baptism, just for the record. If I understand correctly Baptism is for the sinners and the repentant. You know Baptism for the remission of Sins, Was Jesus baptized as a infant?, is he still our example, did I miss something in the scriptures. Did not Our Lord and Savior Say" I came into the world not to call the righteous but sinners to repentance; the "whole need no physician, but they that are sick. wherefore I ask you is not little children whole, for they are not capable of committing sin; wherefore the curse of Adam is taken from them in Christ, and the law of circumcision is done away in him. Baptism is for those who are accountable and capable of committing sin. Little children are alive in Christ. otherwise God is a partial God, and also a changeable God, and respecter to persons; for how many little children have died without baptism! and he that saith little children need baptism denieth the mercies of Christ, and setteth at naught the atonement of him and the power of redemption. Next time you hold a infant in your arms look down at the child and say, you sinner you corrupt child, you need to be baptize right now. If you do, you do not know Christ who you worship, nor do you understand the Atonement. Little children need no repentance, neither baptism. Baptism is unto repentance to the fulfilling the commandments unto the remission of sin. The reason why you don’t read baptism of infants in the bible is because they didn’t do it. I suggest you follow the scriptures and not wolves in sheep clothing. As for Contraception, that is between you and God. A natural contraception is Wild yam, so I have heard.

Yes, Don, you miss the entirety of believers being baptised…they and their entire households.

:canofwormsforanotherthread:

Good, now please look in scripture on God’s view of procreation. :wink:

From this I gather you think the Church’s teaching against contraception is because it’s “artificial”. That is not the reason. And yes, it is between you and God. Like a big wall.

And “wild yams”? Also good for conceiving twins, I’ve heard. It would seem the use yields unreliable results.

Don, more white space in posts makes them easier to read.

Twins??? blessed thistle. And No I am not againest the churches as for birth control. It’s my opinion.

No I didn’t miss the entirety of believers being baptized. Scottish thank you for responding though. Baptism cannot be done by anyone, Jesus was challenged
read first Math. 21: 23, you see in this verse the chief priest wanted to know where Christ got his authority. You need to ask yourself, did the one baptizing you, where he got his authority. Because in the next verse, 24 he asks a question, in so doing he would answer their question. You see most people are baptized with as much authority as these chief priest had and I do mean Priests. Next verse, strong question, AND it came from Christ, verse 25, now I ask you where did John’s Baptism come from heaven or of men. If you have the answer… ask the same question for yourself
Did the person who baptize you, did his authority come from heaven or of Men, like getting a certificate from College (man made institute ) But if you want to base your soul on a maybe he has. go for it.
can of worms for another thread H-mmm

His authority came from Heaven through proper ordination.

thank you for your responds, That is right it must come from heaven, and not from a man made school. thank you again bye

Very well said :thumbsup:

Reformed Bob did explain how we believe well. Don however, sounded like baiting and ignoring the latter half of my statement. Oh well, shouldn’t surprise me.

when we realize our opinions are worth nothing, we start to see truth.:thumbsup:

peace

you are a kind soul

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.