Protestants, Jews, Catholic's, Every faith, favorite Christian song.

Hey guys. State your Religion and you favorite or a couple of your favorite songs.

Mine are of course Amazing Grace.

Here I am Lord!
Gentle Woman

Another is a Vince Gill song. I am not sure of the name. But it goes like this

Go rest high on that mountain, you work here is through…I love that one. It reminds me of my Brother, And I heard he wrote it for his brother when he died!

Catholic For Life!!

My favorite Christian songs are:

“Dead Man” by Wolves at the Gate

“The Harvest” by Wolves at the Gate (not a fan of the OSAS and Faith Alone that they believe)

ANY SONG THAT IS BY RED!!!

“The End and the Beginning” by Matt Maher

Not a fan of the praise and worship music… i prefer the Eucharist!!! :extrahappy:

Catholic.

Favorite Jewish song? Don’t know too many, really, but I do like klezmer when I hear it. If you mean liturgical verse, the one that always brings me to tears is the Mourner’s Kaddish but to call it a favorite sounds… I don’t know… just wrong, like a trivialization. I do wish I could learn to say it well, the meter confounds me every time.

There are too many beautiful Jewish prayers to possibly list. I love “Baruch ata, Adonai Elohenu, melech ha’olam, shenatan lanu hizdamnut l’takein et ha olam.” A rough translation might be “Blessed are you, Lord God, ruler of the universe, for giving us the opportunity to help mend the world.” This is one of the ones that helped open my eyes to the rightness of the Catholic teachings about penance.

As for Christian music, I’m pretty old fashioned. If it was written much past the 1700’s it might be too modern. I LOVE Gregorian Chant and early polyphony.

I’m a Missouri Synod Lutheran.

Favorite christian song is a hymn: "Thy Strong Word."
LSB 578

I think praise and worship music during the Divine Service liturgy should be avoided. That’s more in line with worship at home, when we’re not in the presence of the True Body and Blood of our Lord.

Friend

I like many of the songs by “Casting Crowns” and “Mercy Me”

“Amazing Grace” by Il Divo

I too like the Vince Gill song…“Go Rest High on the Mountain”

“He’s All you Need” by Steve Camp and “When God Ran” by Benny Hester.

My favorite Jewish song is “Jerusalem of Gold”.

Be Not Afraid is my favorite

)‘Just As I Am’ an old Billy Graham song, it was sung at every one of the ‘altar calls’ of his crusades and at least one Catholic Chruch sung at least once every three or four weeks at Sunday Mass

‘Little Church in the Wild Wood’ hope I got the title right! :):harp:

I personally favor the Western Catholic songs, such as “Here I Am, Lord” by Dan Schutte, “Christ be our Light” by Bernadette Farrell, and “You are Mine” by David Haas. Of course, the famous “As the Deer” (both its English and Chinese versions) and “Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee” hymns, are also very beautiful, as are a number of Hebrew songs I have come upon. The Chinese worship song, “耶和华你是我的神” is also greatly moving and inspirational.

Religion: Catholic, though I’m definitely in a period of struggle as far as my faith goes right now.

My favorite Christian-themed songs include:

1. “Via Dolorosa” by Sandi Patty
  2. “Prince of Peace” by Michael W. Smith
  3. “Days of Elijah” by Twila Paris
  4. “Here at this Table” by Janet Sullivan Whitaker
  5. “In Every Age” by Janet Sullivan Whitaker
  6. “On Eagle’s Wings” by John Michael Talbot

There definitely are others, such as “Amazing Grace,” but I would say the above list contains my top favorites.

Catholic

One of my favorites is “How great Thou art”.

I also enjoy Canticle of the Sun

I’m Catholic and my favorite hymn is “Ave Maria” – I have a CD produced by “The Priests” and many of the hymns that they sing are so beautiful they bring tears to my eyes.

I be Catholic.

Likey Gloria in Excelsis Deo, like this (youtube.com/watch?v=4AOoMqhiwe0&feature=related)

Listen to it all the time…

Already responded, but also Sanctus by Libera is beautiful. Makes me think that’s what angels in heaven must sound like.

=Jeff77;9788351]I’m a Missouri Synod Lutheran.

Favorite christian song is a hymn: "Thy Strong Word."
LSB 578

One of my daughter’s favorites, and I think rather a favorite in the LCMS college scene.

Mine, perhaps, “Lord, Keep Us Steadfast in Your Word”, though there are many others, particularly seasonally related, such as “Ah, Holy Jesus” for Holy Week. Its a travesty that its not in the LSB.

I think praise and worship music during the Divine Service liturgy should be avoided. That’s more in line with worship at home, when we’re not in the presence of the True Body and Blood of our Lord.

True, since liturgical hymnody must be in support of doctrine.

Jon

[quote="rinnie, post:1, topic:298955"]
Hey guys. State your Religion and you favorite or a couple of your favorite songs.

Mine are of course Amazing Grace.

Here I am Lord!
Gentle Woman

Another is a Vince Gill song. I am not sure of the name. But it goes like this

Go rest high on that mountain, you work here is through..............I love that one. It reminds me of my Brother, And I heard he wrote it for his brother when he died!

[/quote]

Prayer of St Francis. youtube.com/watch?v=ZI1Gst7pEqc

Hail Mary Gentle Woman. youtube.com/watch?v=85tfBBmbuMc

Angela sings them both...just a coincidence. :harp:

Messianic Believer

Days of Elijah

by Paul Wilbur

Sweetly Broken

by Jeremy Riddle

Orthodox, where nearly every word of the liturgy is sung, save the sermon.

But I was a western Christian before and I still like western hymnody as long as it is traditional.

Lift high the cross.
For all the saints.
May Jesus Christ be praised.

Welsh Hymns are just about my favorites, and Irish hymns.

I agree. Each hymn is like a mini sermon. Nothing better for worship.

Thou, O Lord ( Lifter of my Head)

It is well with my soul

Are two that come to mind currently, and were sung tonight.
Too many contemporary songs to list, and I could fill a hymnal with the old ones.

“Be thou my vision” an Irish hymn is my #1 all time favourite hymn. Could not remeber the name when I did my first post.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.