Protestants just ignore Catholic Answers

Is it me or does it seem that all Protestants here just seem to ignore our Catholic Answers and does not acknowledge our reasoned defense for the faith?

For once I pray they would just try to understand. We don’t bragg so much about their faith unless they asault our faith.

I am Catholic, but I would think that members of other denominations would have trouble believing our teachings for many reasons. I don’t necessarily think they ignore our reasoning. Perhaps they just don’t understand certain beliefs.

There are many who do study Catholic doctrine and convert. For those who do not convert or wait a long time to convert, we should consider the incredible level to which one’s faith is ingrained in them. It is difficult for someone to tackle a body of knowledge as large as the teachings of the Catholic Church. The teachings of our faith are like a great symphony, with each truth contributing to one beautiful and harmonious piece. - (Taken from Truth in the Magisterium)

Now what happens when a person only learns one of the truths at a time? To take the analogy one step further, the symphony is not quite as full and beautiful to the listener unless all of the instruments are heard at once.

It takes huge events, or a very brave personality, to seriously consider a faith not your own. Protestants, in general, will not hear what we have to say because they are very comfortable with their chosen path.

Catholics often are criticized for believing unbiblical doctrines even though I see most Catholics on this forum defending the faith using the Bible. Still, we often see non-Catholic Bible Christians who refuse to accept the Biblical evidence in support of the Catholic faith. For example, many non-Catholics refuse to accept the Catholic interpretation of John 6 and Matthew 16 because these interpretations are unfamiliar to them.

It just goes to show that none of us go by the Bible alone, though many of us think we do. All of us read the Bible with our preconceived beliefs set in place.

But, keep on telling the truth and proclaiming what the Church teaches. Some people who argue against Catholics really are coming around to accept the teachings of the Church. They just want to challenge us with the most difficult questions to see if our beliefs can stand up under scrutiny.

I cant criticize anyone that ‘seems’ to ignore what we are trying to say. Yes we can back EVERYTHING up in some form or another in context from the bible, but according to them… so can they.

Point is… its hard to agree with a position thats foreign to you, Like the Eucharist. I can explain it using logic, bible, history a 100 times… if it is just too foreign of a concept for them… they wont accept… it isn’t blatant disregard, It’s learning…

Some will accept
Others wont.

But I don’t think saying all protestants here are adversive and vitriolic to what we say is accurate at all… Its just a small few that ruin it for the rest

In Christ

And what is more disturbing is that on the surface they really claim to accept all the bible, since they claim “scripture alone”. But when you point out clear scripture which contradicts their beliefs, such as the clear explicit teaching of Jesus
** “if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments**”, and Matthew 25, Romans chap 2,
They simply ignore those verses, or they jump through hoops to make the verses fit their traditions.
In other words, they only accept those teachings which agree with the doctrines that have come down from Luther and Calvin.
They really don’t believe all the bible. I think we have to understand that from the beginning and be patient and explain to them that they must believe everything Jesus teaches, otherwise they don’t have faith in Jesus.

I agree with you. :thumbsup:

[quote=Mannyfit75;1997581

]Is it me or does it seem that all Protestants here just seem to ignore our Catholic Answers and does not acknowledge our reasoned defense for the faith?

Hi Manny,
Same could be said for catholics doing the same thing to protestants.:wink: It is never just a one sided issue.

For once I pray they would just try to understand. We don’t bragg so much about their faith unless they asault our faith./

QUOTE]Im not sure what you mean about bragging about our faith. Why would you brag about our faith:confused: Im sure you just didnt word that right.:wink:

I have listened and asked questions and read many threads without responding. I have even studied scripture re:whatever the subject, looked into church history, prayed and asked the HS to show me the truth, Oh I almost forgot and have read some ECF. My conclusion is I just simply dont agree is all. Just like you dont agree with my side. shrug

I have not been convinced by anyone here that the CC is the One and Only Church.

When I have prayed to God to help me understand a certain topic being discussed----every time ,He gives me an answer by that particular topic being talked about either in my bible study or church right after I prayed about it. I love when a prayer is answered pretty quickly.

Every time I pray the HS leads me right back to the bible.

I know it is not the answer you guys want to hear but it is what has been going on in my life. Sorry to disappoint you:o

I just wanted you guys to know that I havent ignored you.:thumbsup:

My conclusion is I just simply dont agree is all. Just like you dont agree with my side. shrug

But the problem is that while you just don’t agree, others are willing to rip families apart (for example) over matters that you just shrug your sholders at. Not every Protestant, or Catholic for that matter takes the attitude to agree to disagree. When one side wont accept that the other IS using the Bible to back up their beliefs, this is what frustrates me.

God bless

Im blessed because I dont have that problem in my family so I really cant relate. My IL’s are devout catholics but they dont care that Im not catholic and that Im raising my children in a non-denom church. My MIL has been to my church and likes it and likes the people. My family are all born again believers–so we all agree. Actually my in-laws and I agree on many things. We love each other and dont get bogged down with theology.

But I understand what you are saying and do know people that go through this and I think it is wrong to tear a family apart over religion.:frowning:

Im blessed because I dont have that problem in my family so I really cant relate.

It is awful. I wouldn’t wish it on anybody, but perhaps this is the Cross my fiance and I must bear.

But I understand what you are saying and do know people that go through this and I think it is wrong to tear a family apart over religion.

As do I. My greatest frustration with those that I explained is that doctrinal differences really don’t matter to them in Christianity. As long as your differences don’t arise because you’re Catholic.

God bless

Yeah I could never not like anyone or put any down because they were catholic or any other religion(buddhist etc.) I may not agree but all I can do is pray for them. Im sure you already do that. I really hope you and your fiance can work this out.:slight_smile: I will pray for you right now.:thumbsup:

I really hope you and your fiance can work this out.

Actually we already worked it out. She became Catholic and lost her father because of it in the process.

Thank you for your prayers ALLFORHIM.

God bless

I think it comes down to the point that converts are not won by arguement, but by the gift of God’s grace. Conviction comes from the Lord. Arguement can only serve to reinforce a decision already tentatively made.

Yeah Bro. (I have talked extensively with R_C when he had to answer some of that stuff, which was in fact really weird.:eek: ) I hope you guys are doing well. Give my best to your lady love! :slight_smile:

I would agree with that.

I pray constantly for all those that I talk with on here and other Catholic forums because I know full well that all the knowledge in the world is of no value without the work of the Holy Spirit to bring the soul to the truth. Every apologist/evangelist should often read St. Paul’s words in 1st Corinthians 13 and take them to heart prayerfully.
Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.

I hope you guys are doing well. Give my best to your lady love!

We are doing great. A little over three months until the big day. She is in Arizona right now tearing it up on the softball diamand. I am jealous.

I think CM would agree that in our discussion with my fiance’s father we could fill this thread with someone who just won’t, like Manny said, listen to the Catholic answers.

“Yea but Catholics worship Mary…”

“Yea but…”

“Yea but…”

God bless

If Republicans and Democrats have a debate ion a TV chatshow, only very rarely will you see the Republican say “OK, you beat me. I am becoming a Democrat from now on”. Nor will there always be a clear winner, the Democrat might generally get the best of it, but the Republican will probably make a few pertinent points.

However that doesn’t mean there is no point holding these debates. Very slowly, a consensus often emerges. For instance now very few people in Britain think that the state should control the commanding heights of the economy. Twenty years ago the miners were stiking over exactly that issue.

Similarly, don’t expect a Protestant to cross the floor. It might happen occasionally, but not often. However don’t think that the steadily accumulating weight of argument is wasted.

This being an apologetics forum for the most part I think covers most of it. Many that come here actually do come here for a fight. So for those types it’s more about winning than being right.

These types rely on sound bite theology, diversion and straw men to win the fight. Now open minded people can read their posts and wonder “What are they even talking about?” but again their point isn’t to prove their position their point is to win the fight.

You’ll always know this type because when they state a straw man argument and you show them where they’re mistaken they both ignore the evidence and proceed as if you said nothing or they throw out anecdotal situations which actually prove nothing. If they can’t beat you they’ll beat the straw man.

Really in my opinion these types should just be banned so that everyone else (Catholics and Protestants alike) can discuss things. On the other hand I suppose that on an apologetics forum they do serve a purpose.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.