Protestants more Punctual?

I read the other day that Protestant countries are the most punctual. The United States was deemed the most punctual country, even more so than Germany, and this was theorized because our country was founded on Protestant traditions. They said in the article that Latin American countries are terribly bad at punctuality, along with Middle Eastern countries. The article reported that the Protestant European nations were more punctual than the Catholic dominated nations.

I read something of the sort here here.

“I think the common denominator is Protestantism, which imposes very strict ethics on time. It makes people believe that it’s almost a sin to waste time.”

I did read elsewhere that it was the Benedictines who brought Medieval society into a strict habit of timekeeping.

My wife and her entire Catholic family are late to everything. Always have been and always will. We have been married now for over 15 years and I still can’t get her out of the house on-time for anything.

I was raised a Protestant and in my family we were always taught that punctuality is important.

Ha! Positive proof!!!:stuck_out_tongue:

Protestant dominated countries do seem to be more successful in the capitalistic system. Punctuality seems to be a virtue that is valued within the Protestant work ethos, which has been such an economic success in our nation.

One of the adjustments I made becoming Catholic was getting used to people coming late to Mass. I have never understood it. Growing up, we might occasionaly have one or two people come in a minute or two late. I guess things sometimes happen, but I have not been late for Mass yet in eight years, so I wouldn’t know what those things are.

Whenever I am meeting my friends someplace, myself and my Catholic friend usually are on time. My Methodist friend needs to be told to come an hour early else he is late. If we tell him the regular time to meet us, he will show up an hour late in spite of living the closest to where we are meeting, and we have to call him on his cell phone 3 times to remind him.:rotfl:

Interesting observation. I really hadn’t heard about this difference between Catholics and Protestants until I read this article. I, myself, am a punctual person, almost to a fault.

Hi,

I was raised protestant and was taught to be either early or on time. My husband and family are catholic and they are also very punctual.

My brother raised in the same family is always late. Go figure.

Do you really think religion has anything to do with it?

I think it’s disrespectful to keep someone waiting, so I am usually early, because I always allow for some “just in case” time. On the other hand, when I am kept waiting, and if I haven’t made any other plans, I don’t usually get mad until at least half an hour has elapsed. Maybe we Catholics are too forgiving?:smiley:

Americans more punctual than Germans? :cool:

Oh no, I think I’ve been found out! The whole reason I became Catholic was to justify my perennial tardiness! Quick, I need a lay third order to join that puts on a premium on developing patience - in other people! :rotfl:

Actually my lateness is tied directly to my Celiac disease; when your plumbing doesn’t work right, there’s no telling how long it will take you to get out of the house. :o

This only shows that Catholics are more fashionable! :stuck_out_tongue:

Catholic culture is definitely way more laid back than Protestant culture, as far as the definition of “on time,” in my experience.

For the Protestants I know (and myself, when I was Protestant), being “on time” for Church means getting there in time to talk to all your friends for twenty minutes before the service begins.

For a great many of the Catholics I know, being “on time” for Mass means getting there before the proclamation of the Gospel. I’ve never seen a Catholic get to Mass more than ten minutes ahead of time, unless they were a convert.

I’m always on time because I am an EMHC. Even on days when I am not serving, I still get to Mass early. A couple weeks ago, Mass actually started late because the altar boys were late. They were running into the sacristy to get dressed about 5 minutes after the Mass was supposed to start.:rotfl: That was the first time I’ve seen that happen.

I am a cradle Catholic and I am always early. My husband is a convert and he is much more lay back about time. I think it has more to do with your personal value of time than your religion. After I had kids it became harder to be early for everything, and I have even been <>late very rarely.

Is your husband a former Protestant, or is he a former non-Christian?

DH was Lutheran MO synod

In my journey back to the CC, I had a segue through the Presbyterians (USA)–who I found had a propensity for starting services 10 minutes ahead of the scheduled time!

My wife, who is of Scottish background, loves to quote a Scots’ folk song called “MacPherson’s Lament” to explin this obsessive puctuality

"The pardon was sent, to set MacPherson free,

But they set the clock a quarter fast, and hanged him on the tree!"

Now I hear the Baptists tend to be almost Catholic in their allowance for lateness :thumbsup:

I am curious has to why the OP got banned.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.