Protestants need to proclaim the Gospel more

Many Protestant bro and sis think that preaching Gospel is about bring Jesus’ Word and live by the Word, etc…
But what else that is so important that Protestants miss doing as part of proclaiming the Gospel?

It is the Eucharist!

If one just looks at 1 Corinthians 9:13-14, then it is not enough.

13 Do you not know that those who perform the temple services eat (what) belongs to the temple, and those who minister at the altar share in the sacrificial offerings?
14 In the same way, the Lord ordered that those who preach the gospel should live by the gospel.

What else St.Paul wanted to tell us?
St. Paul received the command directly from Jesus:
1 Corinthians 11:23-25

23 For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus, on the night he was handed over, took bread,
24 and, after he had given thanks, broke it and said, "This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me."
25 In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.”

Then, he emphasized again:
1 Corinthians 11:26

26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes.

Proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes - that is part of proclaiming the Gospel.
How often do Protestants celebrate the Eucharist? - once a month?

Even if you don’t believe Jesus present in the Eucharist, at least do it more often.

If you consider the Word is all for you, then do what the Word says.

When I was growing up the observance of the the Last Supper was held once a year, at Easter. The argument of “Memorial” is lost when Christ’s words of “do this” in memory of me is ignored.

I am glad that we have mass daily in many Catholic churches around the world.

The Eucharist is not the Gospel.

The Gospel is PREACHED with words and BELIEVED to be saved.

The Eucharist is for Christians only. The Gospel is for the world.

I love the Eucharist, but we must not confuse terms and purposes.

The Eucharist means thanksgiving. It comes from a Greek. The Eucharist have other titles, He is the Bread of Life, which Jesus said in John 6, “I am the Bread of Life.”

This is not merely symbolic my friend. We Catholics firmly believe the REAL PRESENCE of Jesus Christ in the Blessed Sacrament.

Jesus is truly present, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity.

According to the Catholic Encyclopedia the Eucharist is:

Source: newadvent.org/cathen/05572c.htm

(Gr. eucharistia, thanksgiving).

The name given to the Blessed Sacrament of the Altar in its twofold aspect of sacrament and Sacrifice of Mass, and in which Jesus Christ is truly present under the bread and wine. Other titles are used, such as “Lord’s Supper” (Coena Domini), “Table of the Lord” (Mensa Domini), the “Lord’s Body” (Corpus Domini), and the “Holy of Holies” (Sanctissimum), to which may be added the following expressions, and somewhat altered from their primitive meaning: “Agape” (Love-Feast), “Eulogia” (Blessing), “Breaking of Bread”, “Synaxis” (Assembly), etc.; but the ancient title “Eucharistia” appearing in writers as early as Ignatius, Justin, and Irenæus, has taken precedence in the technical terminology of the Church and her theologians. The expression “Blessed Sacrament of the Altar”, introduced by Augustine, is at the present day almost entirely restricted to catechetical and popular treatises. This extensive nomenclature, describing the great mystery from such different points of view, is in itself sufficient proof of the central position the Eucharist has occupied from the earliest ages, both in the Divine worship and services of the Church and in the life of faith and devotion which animates her members.

The Church honors the Eucharist as one of her most exalted mysteries, since for sublimity and incomprehensibility it yields in nothing to the allied mysteries of the Trinity and Incarnation. These three mysteries constitute a wonderful triad, which causes the essential characteristic of Christianity, as a religion of mysteries far transcending the capabilities of reason, to shine forth in all its brilliance and splendor, and elevates Catholicism, the most faithful guardian and keeper of our Christian heritage, far above all pagan and non-Christian religions.

The Catholic Church acknowledge this base on Scripture and Tradition that Jesus is present.

The Gospel is PREACHED with words and BELIEVED to be saved.

The Gospel is more than preaching. It involves believing in all the teachings of Jesus Christ, living the faith, and persevere to the end.

The Eucharist is for Christians only. The Gospel is for the world.

I love the Eucharist, but we must not confuse terms and purposes.

The Eucharist is for everyone. Jesus preached that we must eat his flesh and drink his blood.

John Chapter 6 verse 51-55:

51 I am the** living bread which came down from heaven**. 52 If any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever; and the bread that I will give, is my flesh, for the life of the world. 53 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying: How can this man give us his flesh to eat? 54 Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you. 55 He** that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath everlasting life:** and I will raise him up in the last day.

Jesus instruct the Apostles to do this in remembrance of me. So we have received the Lord.

If you didn’t know the name Bethlehem in Hebrew means “the House of Bread.”

We know Jesus was born in Bethlehem because not only he is from the House of David, but Jesus is the Manna that came down from heaven.

You are off on a tangent here. This has nothing to do with what I said.

I already know what Catholics believe.

The Gospel is more than preaching. It involves believing in all the teachings of Jesus Christ, living the faith, and persevere to the end.

The Scriptures are clear that the Gospel is a message, Good News…that one is saved by believing.

Act 15:7 “Brethren, you know that in the early days God made a choice among you, that by my mouth the Gentiles would hear the word of the gospel and believe.”

Rom 1:16 “I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.”

I am sorry if that does not align with your religious sensibilities.

The Eucharist is for everyone.

Tell that to the RCC the next time I am at Mass.

LOL.

I don’t think you understood my point.

The Eucharist is only for believers. Your church teaches that as well, even emphatically.

Ever heard the phrase, we live by faith not by sight? That is how Christians ought to live. How else can you call yourself Christians if you do not imitate Jesus Christ.

Jesus prayed, so we must prayed, Jesus suffered, so we too must bear our crosses, he calls us to repent, so we repent. Yes, it Gospel is the message of Jesus Christ but we must not only preached it but live by it. For if we don’t, our faith is dead.

The Scriptures are clear that the Gospel is a message, Good News…that one is saved by believing.

Believe? You say you believe but even Satan himself believe and tremble. Belief is not only the necessary, but God calls us to do more than just believe. The devil himself believe and he quote Scripture.

Act 15:7 “Brethren, you know that in the early days God made a choice among you, that by my mouth the Gentiles would hear the word of the gospel and believe.”

Rom 1:16 “I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.”

I am sorry if that does not align with your religious sensibilities.

I am not ashamed of the Gospel either. We must preached it as you said, and we also have to practice it. Put it into action. Least you be called a hypocrite.

Do you not practice your faith? Early Christians were know for their charity, they tend to the sick, feed the hungry, and many of the pagans took noticed of the charity that these early Christians did.

Very pagan at the time of the Roman Empire recognized a Christians by his actions. In the end the Roman Emperor persecute the Christians and blame them for the fire in Rome in 64-67 A.D.

Tell that to the RCC the next time I am at Mass.

LOL.

I don’t think you understood my point.

The Eucharist is only for believers. Your church teaches that as well, even emphatically.

Yes, she does. That is why Catholics must preached the Gospel so that those unbelievers will be converted and can worthily received the Blessed Sacrament.

Aren’t Christians go all over the world saying that you need to be baptised because the day of the Lord will come? and this is what exactly they do according to what St. Paul said:

Quote:
26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes.

If you preach the Word, and you don’t do what the Word say, then that is not preaching. Some protestants are lacking of faith in the Eucharist. It is all symbolic, and that is why some are not proclaiming the Eucharist as part of the proclaiming the Gospel.

Here is the Word says from the verse:

When you proclaim His Death, you proclaim the Gospel. When you say Jesus will come again, you proclaim the Gospel. When you take the Communion, that is what you do. Are you saying St. Paul is wrong and you are right. :confused:

I want to see what other protestants say about this - this thread seems to be very quite one, and thanks for your repsonse.

We need to repent and be baptised because we want forgiveness of our sins.

I don’t know what reference you are making about the Day of the Lord and baptism. Do you have a Scripture for that?

and this is what exactly they do according to what St. Paul said:

Quote:

If you preach the Word, and you don’t do what the Word say, then that is not preaching.

We are talking about the Gospel, which is a subset of God’s Word.

Some protestants are lacking of faith in the Eucharist.

As are most Catholics.

BTW, we are not to have faith in a sacrament, but in a Person.

It is all symbolic, and that is why some are not proclaiming the Eucharist as part of the proclaiming the Gospel.

The Eucharist is not part of the Gospel.

The Gospel is a message that is preached with words. The Eucharist is a practice for Christians.

Here is the Word says from the verse:

I don’t agree that Protestants should preach the Gospel more. There should not be Protestants. As Catholics we need to work for everyone being united in the Catholic Church. Protestants must accept the Catholic Church then preach the Gospel more.

I’ve only been to a couple of Protestant services where the Gospel was actually proclaimed - Lutheran & Anglican. The non-denominational church I went to merely took various Bible verses and pieced them together to create a kind of “theme” for the day.

The early Christians gave a place of importance to the Gospel in their services (ie early Mass) - and just as the Torah is proclaimed, so too is the Gospel in the Mass.

Just my :twocents:

Au, contraire, monsieur.

When why my fellow separated brother in Christ, that Jesus told us to eat His flesh and drink his blood? Is not in the Gospel? He also said, do this in remembrance of me.

In Acts, we read that the Apostles gather in the “breaking of the bread.”

The Eucharist or “breaking of the bread” is a part of the Gospel. You** cannot remove **that part from the Gospel. The Eucharist is just another term for “breaking of the bread.” We see this in the New Covenant, whom Jesus Christ established. “This is the blood of the New Covenant.”

You have to take all of the Gospel message. What is the Gospel message? The redemptive power of Jesus Christ that he died for our sins, and that we should obey all that He (Jesus) commanded us that we do.

The RCC worked very hard at solving that “problem” not too long ago. Obviously not to your satisfaction…

Obviously not. I don’t believe in burning at the stake, but conversion through love.

In our church (Lutheran - ELCA), it’s -

Early Morning Service (“Festival Worship” - with choir and cantor) - every week
2nd service (“Family Service”) - 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month
3rd service (“Contemporary Service”) - 2nd, 4th and 5th Sunday of the month

There should be no Protestants, everyone of earth should be Catholic.

Please remember that Holy Communion is not part of the Gospel. Read clearly what Paul tells us the Gospel is.
1 Cor 15:1-5
Now*** I make known ***to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, **unless you believed in vain. **
3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,
NASU

Paul tells us that in this passage he is informing us of what the gospel is. Notice that this gospel saves us unless we believed in vain. There is no mention of Holy communion here.

3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,
NASU

The Gospel is the entire teachings of Jesus Christ to include obeying all his commandments, eat His flesh and blood, and gather on the first week in the breaking of the bread. Read 1 Corinthians 11 concerning eating and drinking the Body and Blood of the Lord.

Holy Communion another term is Breaking of the Bread, if you did not know it, and it is Scripture.**

This is not about what it says in the Scripture, I was mentioning in general as part of proclaiming the Gospel and telling others about Christ. When you do so, things that we mentioned are baptism and the coming of Christ. Of course, it is all in the Bible, and of course there are more than just these two.

That’s right, but following what the Word says is more important.

We have faith in the Person who talked about the Sacraments.

IT is part of the Gospel. Where else you got this from?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.