Protestants No Communion in the Catholic Church

I am having a difficult time explaining to a baptist friend of mine why he can’t receive the Eucharist in our church. I told him that he must believe in the real presence and be worthy to partake as Paul mentions and be out of mortal sin. He said we are inclusive and that Jesus would not have denied anyone the bread and wine regardless.

Any advise is appreciated!

Thanks!
Tony

[quote=tparsons]I am having a difficult time explaining to a baptist friend of mine why he can’t receive the Eucharist in our church. I told him that he must believe in the real presence and be worthy to partake as Paul mentions and be out of mortal sin. He said we are inclusive and that Jesus would not have denied anyone the bread and wine regardless.

Any advise is appreciated!

Thanks!
Tony
[/quote]

In order to receive holy communion in the Catholic Church your Baptist friend would have to believe all that the Catholic Church teaches because the Eucharist is not only holy communion, as a symbol, but it is the sign of unity of all Catholics, as well as the real body and blood, soul and divinity of Christ. Tell your Baptist friend that when he is willing to say he believes in everything the Catholic Church teaches he will be able to receive the Eucharist.

There are some great posts regarding this here:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=1024066#post1024066

There is alot of reasons why your friend should not receive communion at a Catholic Church. But the main reason for me, now it is just my own reason when someone comes up to me and ask why can’t a non-C recieve communion, and my answer is because you(he/she) are not Catholic. No matter what anyone else might tell you that is the bottom line. As for me I would not even attempt to recieve communion in a different church. Because for me it would not be right.

Catholic Answers has an article about who can/cannot receive Communion. Here is the link:

catholic.com/library/Who_Can_Receive_Communion.asp

Pax tecum

~Stephen

Judging by his comments in 1 Cor 11, St. Paul apparently thought that some should not receive the Eucharist, specifically those who did not recognize it as truly the body and blood of Christ. He even judged that receiving it unworthily was causing sickness and death, as well as condemnation to the recipient. Serious words.

If they really press for why, consider this:

1. The Catholic Mass is in essence a perfect sacrifice in conjunction with the saints and angels of Heaven.
  2. Jesus is there as High Priest and sacrifice, as well as the host…
  3. The Communion is the NT “Passover”, instituted by God, worshiping God’s salvation plan for us by eating the body of the sacrificial lamb.
  4. All of this is the Catholic rite of Worship - a worship in OT is the a praise accompanied by a sacrifice.

Given all this, taking the Communion without believing this and the fundamental beliefs of Catholicism, is a waste of time, a grave sacrilege, and in reality an insult to those you are worshiping with. If they don’t believe Jesus is present at all in any of the three forms, it is sacrilege to consume “the wafer” (that would be like using Menorah candles for a non-religous purpose). If they do believe Jesus is there in 1 or more of the forms, it is an insult to Jesus because they do not believe all that the Mass and Catholicism is, as told to us by Jesus. They might get hurt then :smiley:

Imagine a Catholic going in to sit down and have Passover dinner with a group of Orthodox Jews, and afterwards grabbing the Menorah candle for a little more light while reading the evening paper. I suspect the Jewish people would be pretty upset.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.