Protestants not willing to "test all things" with their beliefs

Hi Everyone, please take time to review the following thread:
bibleforums.org/forum/showth…2708#post502708

Now, read the below.

I CANNOT BELIEVE THEY CLOSED MY THREAD. WAS I NOT CHARITABLE…ok, phew, I’m more calm now, but WHAT THE HECK.

I wanted to simply stay on topic, with basically how the Protestant reconciles Matthew 18:17: “If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.”

Then someone asked me: "
How would one know the church that Christ founded (if such He did) from all the possible modern selections?

Are there any distictive indicators that we can look to to discern this?"

So I answered it, not once mentioning the Catholic Church, however anyone who knows their history will know that it has the 4 marks of the true Church.

Then I tried to stay on topic, and they closed my thread…again, WHAT THE HECK? This just reinforces my belief of the fear protestants in general have about hearing the Catholic position that makes just too much sense. I had some honest questions, that were sidestepped and never answered. I also looked forward to starting new threads about the disagreements on Core Doctrines such as Baptism, justification, etc.

I am so dissapointed.

Here is the response I got, and the response I gave back to the moderators:

Originally Posted by qbee
*Hi Scripture Man … *

*You are in here because the Facs are concerned that the dialogue and threads *
*you have started are to Challenge our belives and promote RCC doctrin on our *
*board … This is clearly against our rules … We have several members that have *
*come in from your board and are trying to do the same thing. We dont go to *
*your Catholic board and try and challenge you faith. *

Because we consider that trolling. http://bibleforums.org/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

*By your statement above is seems that your goal is to present us with the *
*RCC view that makes more sense … *

So please tell us what is your purpose for joining our protestant board??

That is quite the assumption. Many people come from different beliefs, and I happen to be Christian. If you read my posts, although it’s obvious that I know my history of the Early Church, and I also know my scripture, I am challenging a Protestant position I don’t understand. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CATHOLIC DOCTRINE. http://bibleforums.org/forum/images/smilies/banghead.gif Please, I think in the future it would be wise to be more tolerant. Part of someone searching is questioning doctrine and belief. I have been charitable, especially to the other posters. The premature actions from the moderators really have made this forum seem intolerant, especially in light of what will be looked at as a cowardly action. Please reconsider this action, and also reconsider your “criteria” for banning users.

Thanks, and God Bless…

[quote=Catholic Tom]Hi Everyone, please take time to review the following thread:
bibleforums.org/forum/showth…2708#post502708

Now, read the below.

I CANNOT BELIEVE THEY CLOSED MY THREAD. WAS I NOT CHARITABLE…ok, phew, I’m more calm now, but WHAT THE HECK.

I wanted to simply stay on topic, with basically how the Protestant reconciles Matthew 18:17: “If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.”

Then someone asked me: "
How would one know the church that Christ founded (if such He did) from all the possible modern selections?

Are there any distictive indicators that we can look to to discern this?"

So I answered it, not once mentioning the Catholic Church, however anyone who knows their history will know that it has the 4 marks of the true Church.

Then I tried to stay on topic, and they closed my thread…again, WHAT THE HECK? This just reinforces my belief of the fear protestants in general have about hearing the Catholic position that makes just too much sense. I had some honest questions, that were sidestepped and never answered. I also looked forward to starting new threads about the disagreements on Core Doctrines such as Baptism, justification, etc.

I am so dissapointed.

Here is the response I got, and the response I gave back to the moderators:

Originally Posted by qbee

*Hi Scripture Man … *

*You are in here because the Facs are concerned that the dialogue and threads *
*you have started are to Challenge our belives and promote RCC doctrin on our *
*board … This is clearly against our rules … We have several members that have *
*come in from your board and are trying to do the same thing. We dont go to *
*your Catholic board and try and challenge you faith. *

Because we consider that trolling. http://bibleforums.org/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

*By your statement above is seems that your goal is to present us with the *
*RCC view that makes more sense … *

So please tell us what is your purpose for joining our protestant board??

That is quite the assumption. Many people come from different beliefs, and I happen to be Christian. If you read my posts, although it’s obvious that I know my history of the Early Church, and I also know my scripture, I am challenging a Protestant position I don’t understand. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CATHOLIC DOCTRINE. http://bibleforums.org/forum/images/smilies/banghead.gif Please, I think in the future it would be wise to be more tolerant. Part of someone searching is questioning doctrine and belief. I have been charitable, especially to the other posters. The premature actions from the moderators really have made this forum seem intolerant, especially in light of what will be looked at as a cowardly action. Please reconsider this action, and also reconsider your “criteria” for banning users.

Thanks, and God Bless…
[/quote]

I just check out the rules for that forum and found this statement: "This board is for an exploration of the Christian Protestant faith, and not the faith of other religions. "

Apparently they think you are exploring other faith besides Protestantism, and that is simply unacceptable to them. That is why the administrator who locked your thread said “no further lead in to Catholicism will be tolerated.” They must have feared your thread was a set up to lure unsuspecting Protestants into the One, Holy, Universal, Apostolic Church. Nice try, but that board doesn’t want to discover if they have the right Church or not. They want explore Christian **Protestant **faith and nothing more.

Your link doesn’t work. All I get is the main listing of the boards there, not a thread.

I know, and thats exactly what I was doing. Whether or not they conclude that the true Church is Catholic, was not my aim. I see a verse in Scripture, that doesn’t make any sense, and I’m exploring the Protestant position on it. That is the frustrating part.

They have a problem insofar as that the Protestant faith holds literally thousdands of contradictory beliefs. Use this to your advantage. Some of these beliefs may match up well with the Catholic beliefs.

There should be no problem with your posting about individual, minor thing, like Real Presence, which is certainly a Protestant doctrine (Lutherans, for instance believe this). Go there and post about some of these things.

Or go there and post a thread, “my Catholic friend told me this, how do I answer him?”

Also, I would write them back and point out the vast array of Protestant beliefs and ask how they knew that you were trying to push RCC doctrines when plenty of Protestants believe it too. It would seem that they are just as opposed to Protestant doctrines which go against their personal beliefs as they are with Catholic ones.

[quote=Pug]Your link doesn’t work. All I get is the main listing of the boards there, not a thread.
[/quote]

sorry, try this:

bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36682

I think the link you provided isn’t working, try this one. Also read this thread (if you haven’t already), here. Egg4Christ really hit the nail on the head; that isn’t an apologetics forum. For the kind of discussion that you and I are after, I think we need to find another forum where they aren’t afraid of getting their hands dirty. If you find one, then let me know!

Thanks, the new link worked! I bet they objected to the delineation of the four marks. It probably seemed to them to be an answer and not a question (yeah, I know, you were answering a question!). I doubt they want to provide webspace for Catholic answers.

I think it is tough to find a place that will do what you probably want. I went to CARM in previous years, but only a few, lesser volume posters are in the business of really increasing your knowledge of how a thinking Protestant thinks.

Ah, what do I know? I find most of the internet community an enigma.

More dialogue, and then my response:

[quote=qbee]I understand your frustration and yes you have been charitable and polite
in your posts. That is why you are not banned, We brought you in here to
discuss the rules and purpose of this board. So we can come to an agreement
and get you back on the board posting …

I will try and explain again so you can understand.

This board is for protestants to dicuss thier doctrins and believes.
Not for other faiths to come in and challenge us with there view.
This board is for fellowship of Christian protestants.

Your thread was closed because it was clear you are trying to promote the RCC church as the one true church … You are trying to promote and defend your catholic view and challenge our believes on our board … As I said before that is not the purpose of this particular board… This board was created for fellowship amongst protestants without having other faiths come in to challenge our believes. There are plenty of apoligetic boards available that offer these types of discussions. WE do not …

We welcome other faiths here that wish to learn about our believes
but we dont allow them to challenge us with their doctrin …

If you are able to do that you are welcome to stay.
But I think you are looking for more of an apologetic
board that discusses all views not just protestant views.

You may not agree with our purpose of only protestant
views allowed here … But do you understand that now.
[/quote]

Although I disagree, I do understand. Now, that said, I was not trying to promote the Catholic Church as the one true church (but if someone concluded that this was true, they did so on their own accord). My thread was simply asking how protestants reconcile a particular bible verse. That’s it. People, including the moderators, assumed I was going to lead to the Catholic Church, however that is unfounded. I had no such intention, and never did. You make the allegation that I did, please show me where.

People can’t help speaking from different viewpoints, but last time I checked, this was a “Christian” forum (which includes Christians with different beliefs). So when one Christian engages in dialogue with another Christian, then they are obviously speaking from different theological positions. I am no different. So help me to understand why I cannot challenge a Protestant belief if I find error in it? How else can I learn the Protestant defense if I cannot ask the questions?

Last but not least. I have not disclosed my religious affiliation, except that I am a Christian, and no one has the right to judge me according to what they think I am. However if you choose to have this board specifically for Christian Protestants, then please place on the main page NO CATHOLICS ALLOWED. I think that would be appropriate. Thanks for your time, and I hope you do understand why I feel the way I do.

[quote=Catholic Tom]My thread was simply asking how protestants reconcile a particular bible verse. That’s it. People, including the moderators, assumed I was going to lead to the Catholic Church,
[/quote]

Well Tom, I think you may have got your answer on what they really think of that verse. They think it points to the Catholic Church. They can’t reconcile it with protestantism, so they prefer not to discuss it.

[quote=gardenswithkids]Well Tom, I think you may have got your answer on what they really think of that verse. They think it points to the Catholic Church. They can’t reconcile it with protestantism, so they prefer not to discuss it.
[/quote]

Which verse is it? I know you posted links but I don’t feel like having to read all the vicious Protestant attacks lol :cool:

Dear Tom,

You must be scripture man, well I see that yourself and me, and both consigned to the sin bin so to speak, the cooling off area for people who raise questions in a polite open way, and they clearly see that the catholic view is the only tenable option and what do they do, they freak out and send you to the cooler,

its a shame,

I wipe the dust of their forum off my feet, if they cant answer an open question based on scripture. shame on them.

bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36701

m.

[quote=Lazerlike42]Which verse is it? I know you posted links but I don’t feel like having to read all the vicious Protestant attacks lol :cool:
[/quote]

Matthew 18:17: "If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector."
Actually there never where any vicious attacks that I saw. It appeared very polite, but it was shut down as soon as it appeared it might be heading towards “the church” being the Catholic church.
And Tom, I hate to have to scold you, but that’s what you get for cheating on us here at Catholic Answers and visiting another forum. I know it was tough while CA forums was down last week, but you may want to ask yourself what you’ll do one day if your wife gets sick.:wink:

I asked they if enoch and elijah were taken to heaven in OT and bearing in mind what Christ said in the NT in john 3:13,

“no one has ascended into heaven except …the son of man”

How do they explain that!

They freaked out, coz they felt I was going off on one about purgatory.

[quote=gardenswithkids]Matthew 18:17: "If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector."
Actually there never where any vicious attacks that I saw. It appeared very polite, but it was shut down as soon as it appeared it might be heading towards “the church” being the Catholic church.
And Tom, I hate to have to scold you, but that’s what you get for cheating on us here at Catholic Answers and visiting another forum. I know it was tough while CA forums was down last week, but you may want to ask yourself what you’ll do one day if your wife gets sick.:wink:
[/quote]

lol, that was hilarious, I’m sorry :frowning:

[quote=blackfish152]I asked they if enoch and elijah were taken to heaven in OT and bearing in mind what Christ said in the NT in john 3:13,

“no one has ascended into heaven except …the son of man”

How do they explain that!

They freaked out, coz they felt I was going off on one about purgatory.
[/quote]

That is un believeable. Why would the moderators be so deceptive to the people on that board so as to not let people explore these valid questions???

Here is the latest…first the moderaters, then me:

[quote=qbee]You said last time you checked this was a Christian forum But as I stated to
you before it is a Protestant Christian forum. Other faiths are welcome here…
But not to challenge our believes with there view … Your view is NOT protestant
it is a Catholic view as you stated … You can ask questions about our view but
not bring in your doctrin of believes in doing so …

This is NOT an apolgetic board. It is for fellowship of Protestants.
with other faiths welcome to ask questions not promote other doctrins
That are NOT protestant … I dont know how to make it any more clear.

We do enjoy studying the early church from a protestant view.
and why we broke away from romanism which we consider to
be in error of the origianl foundation Christ set up for his church.
We study the protestant view and believes not any other faiths.

We do that on other boards … Not here … This is a private board
to dicsuss the protestant faith not other faiths. We are not denying
that you are a christian only that we dont agree with catholic
views or beliefs and dont allow them to be promoted on the open board …

We do have have other forums where we discuss other religions
and faiths but they are not on the open board and only available
to members of good standing and by request … They are also
not for the purpose of promoting other faiths and views only to
studying them from the protestant point of view.

You are welcome to stay if you understand this and **agree **to abide
by our posting guidlines and rules …

It is your decision.
[/quote]

Ok, unless you are confusing me with someone else, then I’m lost. Where did I say I was espousing the “Catholic” view. Secondly, what the heck is “Romanism”? (although this does sound derogatory) Where did I espouse Doctrines of Catholic belief? I did answer a question asked of me, but thats it, and if you’ll notice at the end of it, I wanted to get back to my original question!!!

To me it’s obvious that Jesus established a church. Based on SCRIPTURE, and the writings of the Christian Fathers of the early church (I’m not quite sure what you mean about the “Protestant” view of the early church, they said what they said, and it’s quite clear), and that verse (among others I haven’t even had the chance to touch), I am having trouble understanding the Protestant position, so again, I ask you, how did I violate your rules. Fact is, I didn’t. You will not allow me to ask questions of the Protestant position without assuming that my intentions are more so than I stated in my opening paragraph. You wont allow dialogue to learn of a Protestant position where one may have difficulties with it.

Is that what Protestantism is all about? Just accept it, don’t ask questions, or you’ll be banned? Can you not see how ludicrous this is?

Let it go. Thses forums really shouldn’t be blow-by-blow accounts of mistreatment on other forums.

Scott

Thanks to all who have participated in this discussion.
This thread is now closed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.