Protestants on this forum: Do you consider Catholics to be Christians?

Protestants, Do you consider us catholics to be “saved” Christians? Why or why not?

Catholics are most definitely Christians because they profess to be true everything in the Nicene Creed. I am an Episcopalian and the Catholic mass and our eucharist services are very similar as is most all of our Christian beliefs.

Nicene Creed great point.

All who accept Jesus and what He did, would be christians or what was it Christ followers?

I think thats the unity, when the rubber hits the road. I do agree with Lewis theres going to be surprises in Heaven.

One note. To be “saved” means, in Catholic terms, to be in a state of grace, and/or to have the gift of perseverance. Obviously not all Catholics are “saved” in this sense–not all are in a state of grace at any one time, and unfortunately it is quite possible that some Catholics will be finally damned.

I note this simply to point out that when some evangelicals say things like “Catholics can be Christians, but not all are,” they are saying something completely uncontroversial. The problem is in their use of the word “Christian” as synonymous with “saved,” i.e., “in a state of grace.”

Edwin

I am guessing the main point of your question is “Do I believe Catholics to be Christians…*‘and are saved’ * or ‘going to heaven’ or ‘true Christ followers’”? Or something to that effect?

I have always been taught and believed that Catholics may be true Christ-followers… Now before the Catholics on this board start jumping on that word “may”, I will flip the tables a bit and say I also don’t believe all professing Christians in the evangelical churches I have been part of, are necessarily any closer to being ***true Christ followers ***in comparison. God knows the heart. He wants our devotion and surrender. Let God be the judge of the heart! And I will do the best I can to work side by side with those who hunger and thirst for God, my brothers and sisters in Christ. And I will seek to avoid building the dividing walls higher and taller. And I will do the best I can to shine for Christ in this lost world and draw people to Him and the hope, mercy, grace and forgiveness that is found only in Him.

Before I take my hiatus…one comment…

I take anyone who professes faith in Christ, exhibits the fruit of the Holy Spirit in their lives, and is orthodox Christian (trinity etc.) as my brother in Christ (see 1 Cor. 12:3). Since God has not given me the assignment of judging the souls of men, I can only go by what I am told and what I see.

I just can’t see why having a different theological view than I might have on how faith and works interact with each other is a disqualifying factor for eternal life.

So long for 2.5 weeks while I prepare for the Boston amateur piano competition.

Thank you mozart-250. That was a great post. :hug1: I will say a prayer for your success in the piano competition. Please let us know how it goes.

Nice post, chutton. Very well said. I believe the same. :hug1:

I just want to say that I appreciate our Protestant brothers here who while disagreeing with us Catholics still view us a brothers and sisters. I appreciate all those who love Our Lord Jesus Christ and strive and pray always to be obediant to Him with open and sincere hearts.

I pray that we will always view each other through the eyes of Love.

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

This should be interesting… :cool:

I have always been taught and believed that Catholics may be true Christ-followers… Now before the Catholics on this board start jumping on that word “may”, I will flip the tables a bit and say I also don’t believe all professing Christians in the evangelical churches I have been part of, are necessarily any closer to being true Christ followers in comparison.

chutton

What I usually ask when someone makes this statement is, “is a Catholic who is devout and follows all the teachings of the Church a Christian.”

I ask this because I have found when people say, ‘Catholics can be Christian…’ they usually mean this in a way that they can be Christians despite their Catholic faith, meaning if they are ignorant of their Catholic faith and accept what ever the person saying this believes to be the Gospel then yes Catholics can be Christian. And chutton don’t think I am saying you would or have said this. This has simply been my experience that is all.

So the question for me isn’t, “are Catholics Christian.” But are, “Devout Catholics Christian.”

So Chutton, are devout Catholics Christian?

God bless

Hi,
I know CH will answer you but I wanted to put in my :twocents:
Devout anything may not be enough. Someone can be doing all the right things, following all the church teachings etc–but in their heart still does not believe 100%. I know that sounds impossible but Ive seen it happen first hand.

A man in our congregation(non-denom) came forward one Sunday and shocked us. He said he had been playing church his whole life. I believe he is in his 40’s. He knew what to say, how to act and even thought he was ok and doind the right thing. What he didnt have was faith. He did finally break down and admit to the Lord he was a sinner etc. I thought wow he is brave to come forward to the entire congregation. I dont know if I could humble myself like that.:frowning:

Most of us have head knowledge of our faith which may drive us to do all the things it means to be devout but if we do not have the heart knowledge well–then…

That is why we cant judge whether someone is or isnt a christian(meaning saved and going to heaven) because if we can decieve ourselves then we surely can decieve the rest of the world.:frowning:
Was it Mozart that said we can only go by what we see and what we hear:shrug: We dont know a person’s heart.

Ok Im done

Of course

I am very happy to see the results of this poll.

Several months ago, in a non-religious forum, a young man I silently applauded for his ‘Christian’ beliefs & actions posted the statement that Catholics were not Christian.

And that is what his church had taught him. :eek:

Of course.

See my explanation above. You are right that some people do mean what you are saying. But others (I would say considerably more on the whole) mean simply that not every member of any church is a “true Christian.” They may also mean that Catholic errors make it relatively *harder *to have a “personal relationship with Christ” than if one belonged to an evangelical church. But you can’t take offense at that view–surely you think the same thing of Protestants (i.e., we can be saved, but we lack many of the means of grace available to you, and our errors certainly don’t help us!).

I would word it this way: Can a Catholic who understands and believes everything the Catholic Church teaches be a true Christian? That will divide between those you are talking about and those I am talking about.

Edwin

I voted yes, and I’m glad to see others have too.

However I also need to clarify my answer. Not everyone who claims to be Catholic are truely followers of Christ, and the same can be said for any church.

In Christ,

Amen! :thumbsup:

First of all, I have to say I love the quick short “of course” answers on this thread! Made me chuckle…because I’m a little more on the long winded side! Good idea, just saying “of course” :smiley:

Amen! Couldn’t agree more.

Great question/clarification, Roman_Catholic. I find it very sad that people are so quick to judge and say that devout Catholics cannot be true believers. I would say that on this forum I have been blown away by many very well informed, knowledgeable, *devout *catholics, who truly love Jesus as their Lord and their Savior. Awesome! (and I would venture to say I have seen the same of many protestant members on this forum…goes both ways)

However, it is wise to remember what Jesus said in Mark 6:6-7

*“These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.” *

I think that we, as human beings, are easily swayed by all the rules and traditions (and titles/names) that we are all taught growing up in various churches, and I think many people, protestant and catholic, can go through the motions and look good on the outside to all men (and claim to be Christians), but on the inside not truly be right with God…just as AllForHim cited in her example earlier. Look at the Pharisees in the NT. They were great examples of those who followed rules to the extreme, but were like whitewashed tombs, hypocrites, and further from God then ever.

All I can say is, I am thankful for each of my brothers and sisters in Christ, Catholic and Protestant, who are striving to love God with all their heart, soul, mind and strength and reach out to this lost world for Christ!

Chutton

Thank you for the clarification. As long as you are consistent with both Catholics and Protestants in assessing their walk with Christ and determining if someone is Christian or not, I have no beef with ya :thumbsup:

All I can say is,** I am thankful for each of my brothers and sisters in Christ, Catholic and Protestant**, who are striving to love God with all their heart, soul, mind and strength and reach out to this lost world for Christ!

The bolded statement means more than you know. I have meant Protestants who wouldn’t say we were brothers in Christ. I am glad to see another Protestant here who considers us brothers and sisters in Christ.

God bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.