Protestants Quoting Saints....

I heard a first today:
On the radio, this guy issued a profound statement on prayer in your daily life, and he attributed it to St. Francis. My ears perked up because he didn’t sound “Catholic”. At the end of the commercial, it said, “This message brought to you by Calvary Baptist Church”.

I thought, “WOW!”! I’ve never heard anybody from a Non-Catholic religion use a “Catholic” saint’s words and give them recognition for the words.

Is this old-hat, and I’m just finally listening, or is this something new?

NotWorthy

preacher on the Christian radio station from a mega-church in California gave a great series of talks on angels, and cited Thomas Aquinas several times. Of course they cite St. Paul all the time.

It may backfire on them. If their followers start reading about St. Francis, they’ll find out how gasp Catholic he is. :slight_smile:

[quote=puzzleannie]preacher on the Christian radio station from a mega-church in California gave a great series of talks on angels, and cited Thomas Aquinas several times. Of course they cite St. Paul all the time.
[/quote]

I understand quoting from “St. Paul” since he’s from the New Testament and is shared by all Christians.

I’m surprised by someone quoting Thomas Aquinas (did they call him “Saint Thomas Aquinas”?) because his and St. Francis’s writings are most definately Catholic (since, of course, they occurred after the famous “Great Apostasy”). As often as I’ve heard people question us calling people saints, I’m surprised they would also call them saints.

It isn’t unusual for a Protestant preacher to quote saints if he has enough education to know what the Fathers have said. I hear such quotations from preachers routinely. The title “Saint” is usually omitted, though, unless the name is associated with a well-known entity like St. Augustine, Florida :smiley:

To quote a man doesn’t imply agreement with other things the man has said or done. Still, I admit that there are some implications. I hope that nobody would quote the Mormon leader Brigham Young on a topic such as prayer :eek: And a virulent anticatholic needs to refrain from quoting favorably from men he thinks weren’t even saved.

Yes, I agree that quoting St. Francis (or any other “Catholic” Saint) in and of itself is understandable. But to precede the quote with the title “**Saint **Francis” was suprising, coming from a Baptist Minister.

NotWorthy

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.