Protestants: Separated Brethren or Heretics?

[quote=Genesis315]They’re both. Most protestants are material heretics, but not formal heretics. Most believe heresy through no fault of their own.
[/quote]

And yet, Roman Catholicism reserves the right to believe in evolution- which bypasses Genesis 3. We are merely higher apes then.

Why do higher apes need a savior?

ncseweb.org/resources/articles/8712_message_from_the_pope_1996_1_3_2001.asp

Why is this not heresy?

You could respond with something simple like: Anyone who has a valid baptism is a Christian, by definition. At least that is what the Church teaches. How old do you think you need to be to appreciate the concept of the RP? Does that mean all children below that age aren’t Christian?

Have them read the CCC for themselves.

Phil

[quote=ScottH]And yet, Roman Catholicism reserves the right to believe in evolution- which bypasses Genesis 3. We are merely higher apes then.

Why do higher apes need a savior?

ncseweb.org/resources/articles/8712_message_from_the_pope_1996_1_3_2001.asp

Why is this not heresy?
[/quote]

A belief in evolution does not bypass Gen 3. Perhaps you need to give this a little more thought? Perhaps your interpretation of Gen 3 is a little too rigid?

Phil

Are Protestants Catholics?
By Very Rev. R. O. Kennedy

And other sheep I have, that are not of this fold. Them also I must bring; and they shall hear My voice; and there shall be made one fold and one shepherd. – St. John. x, 16.

Are Protestants Catholics? Do we and can we pray for them while living; can we and do we pray for them while dead? To answer these three questions - and I purpose to do so as simply and as untechnically as I can, - it will be necessary to consider: I. What the kingdom of Jesus Christ is. II. What gives admission to it. III. What cuts off connection with it. IV. What about prayers for dead Protestants? It will be pardoned me if I say that my one and sole object is to obtain prayers for persons, nominally or otherwise, outside the Church.

Of all the things on this earth, nothing, assuredly, can be compared to the kingdom of’ Jesus Christ. An angel ought to know it, and his declaration was: “Behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy.” And from this we have the word Gospel, - that is, good spell, or joy. It is, too, but what might be expected; for if Jesus Christ be the Divine Son of God, and be omnipotent, then He could do what He liked for His kingdom, and enrich it with whatsoever natural or supernatural graces He wished. It could be, I think, well imagined that a pagan or a person outside the Church, who knew nothing of the divine riches of it, might exclaim: "Man’s eye never saw and man’s ear never heard and man’s heart never conceived such things."
The kingdom of Jesus Christ is full of spiritual goods, just as the ocean is full of water. Wherever a person belonging to it puts his hand, there he finds riches. And as the Old Testament was but a type of the New, so it might be said that wonderful and even beyond conception as are the riches of this temporal or militant kingdom of Jesus Christ, they are, in a sense, but little more than types of the wonderful kingdom, the triumphant one, that He has in store for us beyond the skies.

But we shall not belong to Him hereafter if we do not belong to Him here. We shall not enter into that heavenly kingdom of His unless we belong to the earthly one first. He has put us on earth before putting us in heaven; and the virgins that slept and did not accompany the bridegroom before he entered his palace, knocked at the door when he had entered, but heard from within: “Amen, I say to you, I know you not.”

Read the complete file Are Protestants Catholics?

DavidJoseph wrote:

Thanks, guys. Btw, I do know that Protestants are material heretics. But these guys I’m referring to claim that we shouldn’t call Protestants separated brethren period. They insist on calling Protestants heretics because they believe they’re formal heretics (they don’t believe anyone is truly invincible ignorant).

The same “traditionalists” are as delusional in asserting that the SSPX is NOT in a state of schism and are excommunicated and that THEY, if they adhere to the SSPX schism are in the very same state - and subject to the EENS dogma (if they believe in the harshest interpretation of EENS).

[quote=Philthy]A belief in evolution does not bypass Gen 3. Perhaps you need to give this a little more thought? Perhaps your interpretation of Gen 3 is a little too rigid?

Phil
[/quote]

Perhaps your belief in evolution hasn’t progressed the logic to the conclusion. First of all, the theory has yet to be proven fact, as the intermediate forms have yet to be found. Theres actually a growing number of scientists who are doubting evolution- many in the genetics field- after mapping the human genome. (Showing we -homo sapiens- are between 6000 & 6500 years old as a species, all from a common mother.)

But further- evolution runs counter to the fall. It claims we - and all living creatures- are improving genetically and physically to higher organisms. (so much for a fallen state- that’s an IMPROVING state.) Was Adam perfect, and in the likeness of God, the way the Bible claims? If so, was he Australopithicus- a chimpanzee?

Now, lets talk about heresy.

closed #27

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.