Protestants somewhat maintain Catholic traditions

Despite the Protestants protesting of Catholic Church they still maintain Catholic traditions.

1. Celebrate Christmas.

2. Worship on Sunday.

3. Celebrate Palm Sunday, Holy Week (correct if I’m wrong on this). Holy Week is includes Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Vigil Saturday, and Easter Sunday.

With so many difference we are somewhat united in some tradition and the basic understanding that Jesus is God-Man, suffered, died, and rose from dead to conquer our sin.:amen:

Of course Protestants are Christians but you forgot a big Tradition that they follow (even though most don’t acknowledge this); that being the canon, for it was the Catholic Church who recogonized and chose the canon of Scripture. They accept 27 New Testament books, 26 not 28. This is the list the Catholic Church recognized and chose from the Holy Spirit guiding the Church through oral Apostolic Tradition.
The first time the 27 books were cited was in 382 AD at the council of Rome…
home.inreach.com/bstanley/canon.htm

yep… and yet they refuse to accept the old testament canon set at exactly the same council… How hypocritical. They pick and choose the canon list they liked, yet they refuse to accept the same church which gave them the finalized NT canon as having been right on the old testament too.

Or perhaps they have simply had the wool pulled over their eyes, most protestants don’t even have a basic understanding of how these books were canonised and think that they were canonised in the 16th century as a response to Luther.

Most protestants might not realize that they are saying a very Catholic prayer when the add “For thine is the kingdom, and the power and the glory, forever and ever” to the end of the Our Father. Those were not Christ’s words. He ended the prayer with “…but deliver us from evil”

The rest of it comes from the Didache (history buffs, feel free to elaborate here) and the priest says it at Mass right after the congregation recites the Lord’s prayer. It goes like this:

“Deliver us Lord from every evil and grant us peace in our day. In your mercy keep us free from sin and protect us from all anxiety as we wait in joyful hope for the coming of our savior, Jesus Christ. (congregation joins in here…) For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen”

So, when our protestant brothers and sisters add this to the Our Father, they are giving a nod to their Catholic roots.

I don’t know many protestants who celebrate Holy Week. They do Palm Sunday and they recognize Good Friday (though most don’t do much about it) but as a protestant, if you’d ever said “Maundy Thursday” to me I would’ve probably thought you said “Monday Thursday” and asked for clarification. “Easter Triduum” would’ve gone right over my head.

I do like Palm Sunday though because it was a celebration that we had that wasn’t totally taken over by the world. We’d decorate our house with palm branches we cut off our tree in the front yard. Today I learned how to make a palm cross, so I made one out of my blessed palm and stuck it over a picture of Mary I have in my room. Then I went out and gathered a bunch of fronds and made them all into crosses, put three into one of six clay pots with a red, spikey flower in it, attatched a prayer, and took them around to my relatives as Palm Sunday presents. They’re all protestant (except for my grandparents) so this was a common holiday and they all seemed to like it. Yeah for fully Christian holidays!

different denominations at different times have taken issue with each of these practices, or with the manner in which they are celebrated, so you can’t make a blanket statement about all Protestants.

I generally end it with “Amen”:wink:
WP

In Australia it goes “For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours, now and forever. Amen.” even though we use the old english version of the prayer itself.

Yes you are right that’s how we respond at Mass here in the states, too. I was hung up on the “thine” thing when I posted that!!:smiley:

Yeah, that part’s pretty hard to screw up. :wink:

The Protestant churches are getting further and further away from the Catholic church practices, though.

Back in the early 1990s, while my husband and I were devout evangelical Christians, we began noticing a trend in Protestant churches, especially evangelical/pentecostal, to totally eliminate traditions from the worship service.

Here are some examples that I remember.

For many years, the “Order of Worship” in many Protestant churches included the following:

Opening Hymn
Opening Prayer
Greeting each other.
Scripture reading
Pastoral prayer (a long prayer)
Choir number or solo
Offering and Offertory Song
Sermon
Altar call or some kind of challenge
Communion (once a month)
Closing Hymn

As you can see, all of this is borrowed from Catholic liturgy. Many of the “mainline” Protestant churches (Lutheran, Presbyterian, Reformed, etc.) would also recite the Apostles Creed weekly.

But beginning in the late 1980s, we were seeing services that looked like this:

Twenty minutes of worship choruses, no hymnals
Greeting
Sharing time–testimonies
Solos, usually with track music
Message–might be a drama, or some kind of “event”. Often a video.
Words of farewell.

Every week, the format would vary a little. Sometimes there was no message, only a play or musical presentation. Sometimes there was no singing, only a long sermon. Sometimes the Bible wasn’t read. Sometimes the whole service consisted of just reading the Bible.

We noticed that baptisms were only offered once a year in many churches, and communions were only offered a few times a year, usually on Sunday evenings instead of in the morning services.

We questioned all this, but were told that the Holy Spirit is moving in a new way, and we shouldn’t try to impose the “traditions of man” upon the fresh work of the Holy Spirit.

NOW our town has one of the Willowcreek spinoffs, a megachurch of several thousand people that meets in a converted mall. There are no “services”–they are called “weekend events.” Usually the speaker is on a video, and the people don’t sit in pews or chairs, they sit at tables throughout the mall sipping latte while listening to the video. The music is professional; I’m serious–the bulletin advertises for professional musicians, actors, and techies.

I think that it is fair to claim that to a certain extent, there has always been an element of “theater” in all churches, including Catholic. An “order of service” or “liturgy” is followed; this would be the equivalent of the “Script” and “Director’s notes.” Everything is timed. The musicians and pastor prepare their music and homilies and usually practice them for a better presentation. The “audience” is involved, not through applause, but through singing, praying, reciting, giving, and partaking of Communion and Baptism

Yes, it resembles theater, but it isn’t. God gave the liturgy to the Church, and they have kept it for all mankind.

But now, it is my opinion that the Protestant church is on the way to becoming pure theater, with very little God and more man-direction. What is happening now in many Protestant churches bears little or NO resemblance to any Catholic liturgy or Protestant tradition.

As for the Sacraments (ordinances in Protestant language), they are going going gone. New Protestant churches seem to shy away from these medieval ceremonies, or they change them so much that they don’t bear any resemblance to the traditional Communion or Baptism. My question is, WHEN will the Protestant church start getting rid of the sacrament of marriage? After all, it’s just a “tradition of man” too, just like Communion and Baptism.

I fear for these churches. IMO, they have nothing that a good friendly bar or gym can’t offer. Jesus is there in some of His true disciples, but He’s hard to find amidst the glitz and spotlights of “theater church.” Hollywood is one of the most godless places on this earth. I don’t know how the churches think they can turn themselves into Hollywood and remain godly.

This has solely been caused by two movements which have been gaining popularity in the Evanglical denominations. They are both related and are called “The Prosperity Gospel”(which only reared it’s ugly head in the 1970s) and the modern “Pentacostal” movement which has slowly eroded from what you described into neo-rock concert like services thanks to the gigantic influence of my very own country’s “Hillsong Church” which was a product of, once again the late seventies and early eighties and is derivitive of the “Prosperity Gospel” movement.

These churches are fundamentally Anti-catholic but also hate the Orthodox, Lutherans and High Church Anglican too by association of the 4 churches shared beliefs in the Spiritual Relm and in heaven being not of this earth, and of the traditions of these 4 churches liturgy, especially with rather odd intensity The Real Presence Doctrine these churches firmly believe in.

Although Pentacostals will never openly admit so outside of their services, but on the inside I got hammered with so much anti-tradition week in week out, mostly during the 1.5 hour long sermon that I got sick of it and said, screw it I’m going to read Karl Keating and start using his website to find out the opposing point of view.

Watching “Catholic Mass For you At Home” also helped me alot too when I was deciding what to do, if I should stay or leave… I saw the true love of each other presented to me in that program and it won me over by reminding me of when I was Anglo-Catholic for 9 years and how things were quite ordered and not anti-tradition hate-filled.

The prosperity gospel, which was inevitable to me after Luther’s time and his propagation of “Self interpretation”, makes me wonder if the traditionalist inside Luther had of seen the results of his initial work, if he too would have joined us in decrying modern protestantism and the “Prosperity Gospel”, and if he would have called that too “the anti-christ”, because he pulled up the catholic church on being prosperous in his eyes.

To me the response to this movement by the Catholic Church has been exceptional and praise worthy, The existence of the “Charismatic Catholic” movement I think is great. It has helped protestants like yourself intregrate into the Catholic Church, and it was a great move which allowed catholics a little more room in the mass service for, you guessed it, Speaking in tounges during prayers and things. It also allowed the Priest to get a little more emotional during the homily. Yet, none of this prosperity gospel protestant bull ****… Just a surprising and energetic and Catholic Mass service!

This is a great fear of mine, most of the “popular” churches in my area are Baptists, “Non Denoms” or Churches of God which in my opinion are more along the lines of social clubs and gymnasiums than places of worship, they all have basketball courts and loud Rock style “gospel” music.
I am thankful every sunday that I worship in a small traditional Congregational Methodist church with none of the frills and in my opinion ten times the worship of the megachurches.
WP

My experience with the Methodist Church, now that I can compare it to my Catholic experience, is that it lacks in true meaning in their 'Communion". I was NEVER taught the true significance and meaning as I have been taught about Mass and the Eucharist.

Similar, yes. The same, no!

Opening Hymn
Opening Prayer
Greeting each other.
Scripture reading
Pastoral prayer (a long prayer)
Choir number or solo
Offering and Offertory Song
Sermon
Altar call or some kind of challenge
Communion (once a month)
Closing Hymn

Hi,

My non-denom follows this except where you have solo or choir number–we have a praise band. Sometimes we have the kids choir or adult added in, but not every Sunday. The kids choir sang on Palm Sunday. Our church does not believe in Alter callls either. I guess that would have been yesterdau UH. IT HAS ONLY BEEN ONE DAY OF SPRING BREAK AND IM LOSING MY MIND ALREADY!!!

You probably attended a United Methodist Church.
The FCM takes the Communion VERY seriously and with reverence.
WP

Not to suggest that the UMC doesn’t, I have never attended their Communion Service.
WP

You are correct!

:thumbsup:

Mat 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

Mat 6:10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as [it is] in heaven.

Mat 6:11 Give us this day our daily bread.

Mat 6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

Mat 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Wow Ive never seen a church like those mega ones described. But the order of service in the rest is pretty much as described in the list. Singing or choir depends on talent in the church, Ive been to Baptist and Pentacostal who had choirs. I attend a very small church they use a guitar cause no one can play piano. There is a girl who knows the flute.

Ive even been to a friends Charsmatic church where they bounce and they still have a order of service.

Opening singing praise chorus, worship songs, generally shorter songs. (For at least 30 min non stop)
Opening Prayer
Greeting each other.
Offering
Scripture reading
Sermon
Altar call
Closing songs

Communion I think once a month but not sure.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.