Protestants Song during Mass?

the reason I ask this question is as follows. I was at mass this past sunday and while waiting to receive the body of Christ the church choir were singing a Evangelical song. Is this ok considering they reject Mary’s perpetual Virginity. I personally think protestant songs in the church during mass is hypocritical it keep the church from being pure in her teaching,doctrine and dogmas. My reasoning is that since the composer rejects our doctrines and dogmas about Mary, we would be hypocritical to play this song during mass or in gods church. What are everybodys thoughts am I being too harsh. Im curious to know your thoughts.

Hi, calinorth86,
If a hymn doesn’t contain heresy, it may simply be a beautiful creation meant to praise God and inspire devotion. That is intrinsically good.
We do already traditionally sing hymns in Catholic Liturgy that we not written by Catholics, e.g. favorites like “Abide with Me” and “Amazing Grace.” Even in the Catholic Divine Office, can be found Martin Luther’s “A Mighty Fortress is Our God.”
Using a hymn that is free of heresy but is sung to inspire and praise is not agreeing to the lifestyle or belief of the person who wrote it.
A former Anglican priest I know who is no a Catholic priest was surprised to find the number of Anglican hymns also routinely used by Catholics.

If you feel the hymn used wasn’t in keeping with Catholic teaching, or lacking in devotion to God, perhaps take your concern to the priest?

Best wishes and God bless you,
Pauline

If you think of it this way… the majority of the English speaking world is Protestant. So it’s natural for most English hymns ever written to be Protestant. The question is whether the song inforces protestant theology or negates the Catholic Church.

OR you can simply go back to Latin music and/or singing scripture and Catholic prayers :slight_smile:

When I was growing up Baptist, Faith of Our Fathers was often sung. Maybe that’s why I ended up Catholic? :smiley:

It all depends what you mean by an Evangelical or Protestant song. If it was a song like “Down with the Pope” or “Schism Forever!,” that would clearly not be proper in a Catholic Church. If, however, it was just a hymn written by a Protestant, let it go.

Correct. Adoration is not exclusive to just us Catholics. Pope Francis will tell you so as have other great religious leaders in the past. We sing “hymns” from the Old testament(scripture set to music) all the time and think nothing of it, don’t we? Peace.

Thanks a lot for your answers it really helps but it still bothers me that the composer of this song rejects our mothers holiness. I feel that hearing this song in our church we are bearing false witness to the truth about our holy mother. The reason I think this is because aren’t we in a Indirect way supporting protestant theoligy by hearing their music. Arent we bearing false witness to the doctrines of our church by accepting protestant music in which the source of that music is composed by people who are clearly against the holiness of our mother Mary. Again am I being to harsh regarding this topic, because honestly I enjoy protesrant music.

When Pope Francis said these things was he saying them infallibly if he was then I’m all for protestant music but if he didn’t I have these nagging doubts that its not ok because of the source of the music.

Lol that’s awesome :smiley:

Think of it as a Venn diagram. Both Catholics & Protestants are Christians, but we do have some different beliefs. Where the Catholic circle & the Protestant circle overlap, we are in agreement. And we have much more in common with Protestants than many think. So, if there is nothing in the song that is in disagreement with Catholic teaching, the song is fine.

OTOH - we all have particular likes & dislikes. How I wish the parish musicians would take my likes & dislikes into consideration! :wink:

90 percent of our Mass music in our parish is protestant. This is due to the abandonment of traditional Catholic music in an effort to popularize our Mass and compete with the protestant church down the street.
2000 years and we are left with David Crowder Band…:rolleyes:

(Dont get me wrong, I like DCB, Just not at Mass…)

This is a good point. Instead of us catholics evangalizing the world it seems to be the opposite. Shouldn’t we hold to our traditions like the bible says?

No, he was not speaking infallibly.

How old are you? Just curious, you have the fervor of a young person.

I’m 28 I was a fallen away catholic even though I was born into catholicism and baptized. I came back to the faith at the age of 26. I made the mistake of challenging my girlfriend on her catholic beliefs. Even though she couldn’t answer all my questions I searched so that I could prove to her that Jesus, the bible and the catholic church were just a bunch of myths, and religious mumbo jumbo. The more I searched the more I realized it was based on facts and actual history. So I came back to my faith and haven’t looked back.:slight_smile:

God Bless you

I was thinking that most of the Church hymns were fairly recently Latin Chants or hymns in Latin which not everyone was knew or could sing. How many remember Latin, pre-1960’s and did you understand the words? Just wondering.

:thumbsup:

:rotfl:LOL:thumbsup:

I think this is basically right. My understanding is that it is really as simple as when they decided to heavily use hymns in the Mass most of the hymns available were Protestant for the reason you point out, it wasn’t Catholic tradition. The competition isn’t going well. Protestants are more into singing and can do those really tricky SATB parts (which aren’t really tricky).

I think this is the first time I’ve heard of the David Crowder Band. I occasionally listen to Moody Radio & so far, haven’t heard any modern Protestant music I really like. I’m an older* lady who likes big band & classic rock. How would you classify DCB?

*39 & counting - a la Jack Benny :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.