Protestants, why?

This question could have been asked already, but I’ll ask it anyway. Why are you Protestant? What about the Catholic Church do you not agree with and why?

It definitely has been asked. Really, it's not that they're "not Catholic". There are plenty of Catholic doctrines they disagree with, but that's not why they're not Catholic. The average Protestant doesn't make a habit of considering Catholicism before/after becoming Protestant anymore than the average Catholic considers each Protestant denomination before being confirmed.

Let's put it in an example story. Jonathan's parents believe in God, but they never really took him to Church, so he only has a basic feeling that God exists. Then Jonathan's friend, Mark, invites him to his United Methodist Church. They make Jonathan feel right at home and hand him a book of scriptures which sound incredibly holy. They explain to Jonathan the core Christian beliefs (as they see them) and it all seems to make sense. Before you know it, Jonathan is going to the UMC every Sunday and starts teaching Bible classes.

Tell me, why would Jonathan think about becoming Catholic when the first exposure he had to Christianity was the UMC?

[BIBLEDRB]2 Timothy 3:14-15[/BIBLEDRB]

I am not Catholic because the ones who taught me were not Catholic. I know that these men and women are godly; I have seen God’s blessing upon them. Admittedly I have not known many Catholics, but I do know these teachers of mine. Catholic doctrine states that Protestants do not have the fulness of the truth. Well as I look at these godly Protestants, I cannot fathom how this doctrine can be.

I can see your logic there. My answer would be that if Jon lives in a populated area in the 21st century he probably also sees that there are many different churches than his own. With information literally at his fingertips, I find it hard to believe that he would not do any research whatsoever on the other churches and the history of Christianity.

I used to live as an atheist, only seeing problems with Christianity and religion in general, until I actually looked into what I was bashing and realized I didn't have a clue. I was brought in by a non denominational, love God hate religion type church, and saw my way out of it very quickly, under a year. It was so easy to see the truth in the Catholic Church, that every Christian sect initially broke from it, that it baffles me as to why people have so much trouble with the Church.

[quote="xzereus, post:2, topic:292882"]
It definitely has been asked. Really, it's not that they're "not Catholic". There are plenty of Catholic doctrines they disagree with, but that's not why they're not Catholic. The average Protestant doesn't make a habit of considering Catholicism before/after becoming Protestant anymore than the average Catholic considers each Protestant denomination before being confirmed.

Let's put it in an example story. Jonathan's parents believe in God, but they never really took him to Church, so he only has a basic feeling that God exists. Then Jonathan's friend, Mark, invites him to his United Methodist Church. They make Jonathan feel right at home and hand him a book of scriptures which sound incredibly holy. They explain to Jonathan the core Christian beliefs (as they see them) and it all seems to make sense. Before you know it, Jonathan is going to the UMC every Sunday and starts teaching Bible classes.

Tell me, why would Jonathan think about becoming Catholic when the first exposure he had to Christianity was the UMC?

[/quote]

Indeed...true,but if Jonathan starts to read outside his Bible,he will come to learn Christian History. :p

[quote="Taestron, post:3, topic:292882"]

I am not Catholic because the ones who taught me were not Catholic. I know that these men and women are godly; I have seen God's blessing upon them. Admittedly I have not known many Catholics, but I do know these teachers of mine. Catholic doctrine states that Protestants do not have the fulness of the truth. Well as I look at these godly Protestants, I cannot fathom how this doctrine can be.

[/quote]

Perceived holiness isn't exactly evident proof. There are many hangups in all protestant churches that deny very basic and very real institutions Christ created and calls ALL His children too. The most obvious one being Communion.

I am not Catholic because the ones who taught me were not Catholic. I know that these men and women are godly; I have seen God's blessing upon them. Admittedly I have not known many Catholics, but I do know these teachers of mine. Catholic doctrine states that Protestants do not have the fulness of the truth. Well as I look at these godly Protestants, I cannot fathom how this doctrine can be.

Your Bible quotes are out of context. If you go read the whole chapter, Paul is teaching people that they're going to be persecuted for their beliefs and that they should remain faithful because they have been taught by him, who was taught by Jesus. It's not saying if someone teaches you their take on Christianity you should only believe that one.

Saying Protestants don't have fullness of the truth isn't saying they aren't good Christians or are any less than the next guy. It's saying that they don't teach the fullness of the truth. Meaning, they broke off from the Church Christ established for some reason or another, and established a church that they saw more suited for themselves. By doing so they erased some doctrines and dogmas and added/replaced new ones. Therefore, they've broken away from the fullness of the truth.

[quote="enickman, post:4, topic:292882"]
I can see your logic there. My answer would be that if Jon lives in a populated area in the 21st century he probably also sees that there are many different churches than his own. With information literally at his fingertips, I find it hard to believe that he would not do any research whatsoever on the other churches and the history of Christianity.

I used to live as an atheist, only seeing problems with Christianity and religion in general, until I actually looked into what I was bashing and realized I didn't have a clue. I was brought in by a non denominational, love God hate religion type church, and saw my way out of it very quickly, under a year. It was so easy to see the truth in the Catholic Church, that every Christian sect initially broke from it, that it baffles me as to why people have so much trouble with the Church.

[/quote]

That's a very interesting story and I really agree with you but I'm afraid to ask it because I'm worried that there is this HUGE secret that I just don't get! Haha...so I continue to read and read...it DOES seem strange to me..I like hearing about atheists becoming Catholics because most atheists are just diligent truth seekers...I likem I was one:).. Sure some are just refusing no matter what but anywys good post! I wanna read the responses..

Basically, ecclesiology. I do not see universal jurisdiction in either scripture or the Tradition (councils) of the early Church.

Jon

I guess I’m in a slightly different situation because I’m not really Protestant or Roman Catholic anymore. I was raised in the Church of the Nazarene, and up until high school that was all I knew. As a freshman in high school, I started feeling that my spirituality was missing something – it felt incomplete. I went to a Lutheran church for a couple of months with a friend, but found it wasn’t really for me either. I’d always been attracted to Catholicism, so I started going to the Roman Catholic church near my house regularly, studied Catholicism intensely, and was finally baptised and confirmed my senior year (my parents made me wait until I was 18).

When I was 21, I left Christianity altogether for a few years. I did attend Mass occaisionally, but for the most part, I felt unwelcome in the Church. When I graduated from university, I discovered there was a Gnostic church in town, and started attending Mass there. I’ve been going there for several years now, and have even joined the clergy (something that wasn’t much of an option for me as a Roman Catholic). My church is still catholic, sacramental, liturgical, and we have apostolic succession – it’s just not “orthodox”.

As for why I go to a Gnostic church… I feel it is what I had been searching for all along. Roman Catholicism was a step up along the journey, as it filled in many of the gaps I found in Protestant Christianity. But Gnosticism seems to fill in even more of those gaps. I still feel very connected to my Catholicism, and have a great appreciation for the RCC; but there were things about it that went against my conscience, as well as things I believed naturally that weren’t in line with orthodox teachings. I’d been interested in Gnostic scripture since high school, and always felt that something important had been lost by the early orthodox Christians rejecting these invaluable books. I’m definitely not a Protestant, but my Catholicism now feels more complete as a Gnostic Christian.

My mom grew up Protestant (converted when I was in middle school). You tend to attend the church you grew up in. At this point, a Protestant isn't necessarily protesting the Catholic Church. They just don't understand/don't think about it much. I think Catholics and Protestants often lack charity with each other and think there are more differences between them than there really are.

I do have one Protestant friend who has a tough time with the idea of a Pope leading the Church (especially the idea of infallibility). The Saints are also a tough concept for him. You can tell him that we don't worship them as we worship God, but rather ask them to pray for us. However, to him it is still false worship. Idol worship is the big thing a lot of them have a tough time with (our statues, religious medals, etc.)

[quote="enickman, post:1, topic:292882"]
This question could have been asked already, but I'll ask it anyway. Why are you Protestant? What about the Catholic Church do you not agree with and why?

[/quote]

For me, there are two main issues:

1) From my perspective, an honest reading of history severely undermines rather than supports the Catholic Church's exclusivist claims.

2) From my perspective, the Catholic Church's understanding of leadership and teaching authority runs directly counter to Scripture: e.g., Mark 10:42-45; 1Corinthians 12-13.

There are many reasons why I am not Catholic. I was not rasied Catholic. My family is not Catholic...I did have one aunt on my mom's side who converted so she could raise her children in an "established religon".

I chose to be a Friend over and above any other faith tradition because I believe it embodies the best virtues and teachings for me to be a follower of Jesus of Nazareth.

I find in it's precepts the freedom to explore and seek God thru my own experience and explore this world He created as a vehicle of revelation.

I do not beleive in the "faith affirming" history "conservative" Christianity seeks to put forth...early Christian history was complex....and those who finally became the accepted tradition that best represented the message of Jesus to is suspect. I find the more "liberal" and "secular" history of the early Christian movement to be more compelling than the "faith affirming" story told by most branches of Christianity...Catholics in particular...conservative Protestants in general.

[quote="Taestron, post:3, topic:292882"]

[/quote]

Just because we believe that they do not have the fullness of truth does not mean that we believe that they do not have some truth, and it certainly does not mean that there are no godly people in other denominations. I have seen godly Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, Nazerenes, Lutherans, and even.... Seventh Day Adventists!:eek:

Just thought I would clear that up:thumbsup:
God Bless

Great questions, and some great answers! I always find it amazing that there are so many non-Catholics here. :thumbsup:

My reason is just that i was raised protestant as many of us are. I used to actually believe Catholics worship Mary until I decided to actually open a book.:D

1. How does history undermine it?

2. All that passage of Mark is saying is that the apostles aren’t sent out to have authority, but to serve. Christ is saying that he sees none of them as better than one another and that they shouldn’t boast of themselves. The purpose of the Catholic Church is to serve the people. There has to be authority within the Church because it is an institution. It has the authority to teach the Bible among other things. Since the Protestant Reformation in the 16th century, where the Bible alone was accepted as the sole rule of faith, there have been many splits. Division, that Christ didnt want. Cause if everyone was meant to get their faith by their own reading or someone else’s that has split from the original teachings, there will be countless different understandings. Which then brings different churches and belief systems.

I too am aware that many Protestants love the Lord very much and seek to walk in His footsteps every day.

As a Catholic I do say that Catholics have the fullness of truth, (for ex. the Eucharist), but it does not mean that God doesn't give a sincere person the grace he/she needs to be sanctified. We need to concentrate on what we agree on, and explain our differences in a civil manner when necessary.

In my personal experience, I never knew much about catholicism. I was always just aware of God, Christ, the bible, the ten commandments, so forth and so on.
I grew up baptist/protestant.
But it didn’t stop me from hearing about catholics.
Unfortunately the things i heard about the catholic church were mostly negative.
While growing up and going through school i met kids from catholic families unfortunately very few who acted christian. I would hear gossip stories from the kids who transfered to public schools from catholic private schools about priests and the rules and regulations and the “dreaded” confession booth.

I have learned that most of these stories and impressions I had were from an inaccurate and needless to say immature point of view.
But they still made a difference in shaping my first opinions and beliefs about who catholics were.

Now that i am older the opinion that has affected me the most was my mother’s opinion.
She left the catholic church. She retold to me a story that she learned about salvation not through sunday morning mass or catholic schooling but through the tv, through a televised evangelical. Needless to say i was dissapointed at how she could have gone through catholic school for most of her life and not have known about salvation, about laying down your life, taking up your cross and following Christ Jesus.

I explore catholicism now because of my bestfriend whom i am dating.
He is filippino roman catholic and feels his faith is vital, as do i.

I am not catholic.
I am at this point trying to understand, and to learn from other people, including catholics.

[quote="jpink1019, post:19, topic:292882"]
In my personal experience, I never knew much about catholicism. I was always just aware of God, Christ, the bible, the ten commandments, so forth and so on.
I grew up baptist/protestant.
But it didn't stop me from hearing about catholics.
Unfortunately the things i heard about the catholic church were mostly negative.
While growing up and going through school i met kids from catholic families unfortunately very few who acted christian. I would hear gossip stories from the kids who transfered to public schools from catholic private schools about priests and the rules and regulations and the "dreaded" confession booth.

I have learned that most of these stories and impressions I had were from an inaccurate and needless to say immature point of view.
But they still made a difference in shaping my first opinions and beliefs about who catholics were.

Now that i am older the opinion that has affected me the most was my mother's opinion.
She left the catholic church. She retold to me a story that she learned about salvation not through sunday morning mass or catholic schooling but through the tv, through a televised evangelical. Needless to say i was dissapointed at how she could have gone through catholic school for most of her life and not have known about salvation, about laying down your life, taking up your cross and following Christ Jesus.

I explore catholicism now because of my bestfriend whom i am dating.
He is filippino roman catholic and feels his faith is vital, as do i.

I am not catholic.
I am at this point trying to understand, and to learn from other people, including catholics.

[/quote]

jpink - you've come to the right place. Welcome!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.