Protestants would going to a Catholic Mass be considered wrong for you to do?

When I got Married I only had one co-worker come to my wedding I got the notion that they did not want to step foot into a Catholic Church. Exspecially when everyone went to another guys wedding shortly after. I have a new Job now and my mom just passed away I had a long term friend come who I also work with but someone else at work warned him about going to my moms memorial Mass. So what is it that worries alot of protestants about going to a Catholic service?

I have no problem going to a Catholic Church.

Please accept my sympathy regarding your mother’s death.

I cannot explain why a non-Catholic would be hesitant or worried about attending a Catholic wedding, funeral or any service.

As a protestant, I have attended mass on several occasions, as well as a wedding and a funeral. I’ve also prayed in quite a few Catholic churches (the only ones that seem to be open for prayer during non-service times are Catholic). Maybe someone else can shed light on this?

Having been a former Protestant, my guess is that in part there are lot of ***things ***that Catholics do that Protestants don’t understand…and that some Catholic teachings are considered heretical outside the Catholic church.

I’m sure there are more reasons…

When I was a Protestant I had the fear of screwing something up at Mass and getting fussed at by the priest.

Well Hollywood has convinced everyone that anything serious happens in a Catholic church, which is good but also all the freaky stuff happens there and thats not good.

I think some would think that its deadly serious going there and they are afraid.

Then again there are some who are afraid just going to any church, you know God and all that stuff.

But like I said Id guess it would have been the serious bit.

Labels are bad :wink:

Hi Odell!

I’m sorry to hear about your mom. I was protestant for 46 years, but I can only guess at a few reasons. One is fear about what is going on in a Catholic Church. (My eldest brother didn’t come down to a Catholic cousin’s funeral as “they do things differently”). Also, and this sounds strange, but from listening to my family, fear that somehow they will get converted to the CC by just being there or someone will take them aside and force them to convert. (I hate to tell them that we don’t do the Monty Python skit and tell folks to “Confess!”) I know personally, that I was always a bit fearful about going to a CC as a child. Fear of the unknown I guess. I think once someone goes, they will have nothing to fear though. We don’t bite, really! (at least not much! :wink: )

My family is Protestant and they are dreading the day I marry because they complain Catholic weddings are soooo long and boring(although they have never attended one). I guess because a lot of Catholic weddings have a Mass with it. Mine probably won’t since my whole half of the family isn’t Catholic…but thats their reasoning for not looking forward to going.

Don’t feel bad, my family are protesters too (Protestants :smiley: ). My dad thinks my Church is the “Whore of Babylon” and that I serve the Antichrist… get’s on my nerves, but I’m used to it by now.

because of family situations on both sides, and the fact that bride and groom and parents also invited co-workers, about half the guests and DD’s wedding were not Catholic, and we got so many comments about the beauty of the ceremony, the nuptial Mass, the music, and the obvious fact that they had put as much care into planning the wedding–readings, music etc.–as in the reception. So many comments on how beautiful the Mass is, and the Eucharistic dimension, which DD deliberately stressed in choice of hymns, responsorial etc.
it was over an hour, but no one was bored

Even nominally Catholic relatives commented on how meaningful the Mass was, and how beautiful, and a couple even started going to Mass again. Some of the non-Catholic guests even went back to the Sat. evening Mass after the reception–an option we reminded Catholic guests about, since bride and groom and many of the relatives would be travelling on Sunday. Lutheran business partner still says it is the most beautiful wedding he has ever seen.

I just went for Christ the King.

Since I was an RC for most my life, I am very comfortable at Mass…though I am much more careful how I participate.

When I got Married I only had one co-worker come to my wedding I got the notion that they did not want to step foot into a Catholic Church. Exspecially when everyone went to another guys wedding shortly after. I have a new Job now and my mom just passed away I had a long term friend come who I also work with but someone else at work warned him about going to my moms memorial Mass. So what is it that worries alot of protestants about going to a Catholic service?

Keep in mind that Catholics used to be condemned to Hell if they ever participated in Protestant services…unless they repented before they died, of course.

These attitudes should be well undertood by Catholics by now.

Personally, my holy spirit cringes in horror everytime i hear the mindless, meaningless chanting that is catholic “prayer”. It sounds demonic. Whats even more sickening is hearing the prayers to Mary. You’re basically praying to satan. I have no interest in taking part in catholic services. Thankfully I have not had the situation where I had to go to a catholic wedding, although that will probably happen in my family at some point. I more than likely will not go to the church but will go to the reception.

Its very hard to watch loved ones continue to be deceived by this doctrine of demons, so I certainly have no interest in going to a catholic service and pretending that everything is fine, when i know that everything the catholic church teaches is a lie. Its not about protestant vs. catholic. Its about the word of God vs. the word of men.

If you don’t understand why its difficult for a Christian to go into a catholic church, its because you don’t understand how the catholic church has perverted the Word of the LORD.

It would depend on the individual. Most Protestants don’t tend to be the militant anti-Catholic “Church is the Whore of Babylon” type nutballs. (unless you live in the south maybe)

“My” holy spirit… LOL that’s a new one. Then there’s “personal” Lord and Savior. Anyone else wonder why all the terminology of extremist fundies is based on self-centeredness, or somehow trying to ‘possess’ God?

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Funny that fear was what made us kids (then) trying to play truant during mass.

Seriously, Catholic weddings are the most meaningful weddings I have ever seen. Nothing can beat them. But that maybe because I am a Catholic.

You are calling the mother of Our Lord Jesus ‘satan’?! Whatever you, wrongfully, believe about the Catholic Church is your problem. Such hatred! But please don’t insult His mother. You will have to answer to Christ Himself for that one. How would you like it if someone called YOUR mother ‘satan’?

There is nothing at all wrong with attending a Catholic Mass. While I rarely have the occasion to attend a Mass, I sense the Holy Spirit at work there just as I do in our Lutheran worship.

Please leave her well alone. There is so much bitterness, hate and hurt, she must be suffering inside. She just need a little attention, a little love here. The least we can do is show her.

Yes, there are wicked men that blaspheme the Blessed Mother, but knoweth this, we bless her name.

That’s good.

Keep in mind that Catholics used to be condemned to Hell if they ever participated in Protestant services…unless they repented before they died, of course.

These attitudes should be well undertood by Catholics by now.

Actually that’s an misunderstanding. The Catholic Church has never condemned anyone to hell if they go to Protestant Services. It was never allowed because the mere fact the two differ in their belief.

It’s not demonic. Latin is an ancient language. If you live in Rome 2,000 yrs ago. Someone would think your language is demonic.

Whats even more sickening is hearing the prayers to Mary. You’re basically praying to satan.

Have you been given a divine vision to confirm that this is Satan? I find your post very uncharitable as a Christian. How dare you call Mary Satan.

I have no interest in taking part in catholic services. Thankfully I have not had the situation where I had to go to a catholic wedding, although that will probably happen in my family at some point. I more than likely will not go to the church but will go to the reception.

Your choice.

Its very hard to watch loved ones continue to be deceived by this doctrine of demons, so I certainly have no interest in going to a catholic service and pretending that everything is fine, when i know that everything the catholic church teaches is a lie. Its not about protestant vs. catholic. Its about the word of God vs. the word of men.

This isn’t the doctrine of Demons. What are you trying to do here? Make us Catholics leave our faith? Do you know it is against Catholic Answers Rules under Banned Topics to Polterize Catholics from leaving their faith?

If you don’t understand why its difficult for a Christian to go into a catholic church, its because you don’t understand how the catholic church has perverted the Word of the LORD.

The Catholic Churfch has not perverted the Word of God. I think Protestant theology has. Note I said Protestant theology not persons.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.