Protestants

Protestants,

It seems that you’re understanding of the Bible is often at odds with the Catholic Church’s understanding of the bible.

Why and how can this be:shrug:

Love and prayers,
Pat

I would add:

It seems that you’re understanding of the Bible is often at odds with the Catholic Church’s understanding of the bible, and with other protestants.

=CHESTERTONRULES;5765993]I would add:

It seems that you’re understanding of the Bible is often at odds with the Catholic Church’s understanding of the bible, and with other protestants.

Really?

Would you care to be a bit more specific?

You’re entitled to your own opinion, I friend am not. If I have errored, it is important that I apologize and correct the error.

I have no knowledge of not teaching in accord with waht the CC professes as truth, so please feel free to let me know where I have gone astray.

Thanks and God bless,

Pat

At least for Lutherans, the Bible is the norma normans, that is, the norming norm, and tradition and the Lutheran Confessions are the norma normata that is, the norm that is normed.

In other words, Scripture is our starting point, and we examine everything we say, do, teach, and confess, with Scripture as the ultimate judge, rather than church tradition. If you approach scripture with the understanding that it must line up with what the church already teaches, or that the church is the ultimate authority in interpretation, then obviously you can arrive at a different conclusion than someone who lets scripture interpret itself.

As far as different ‘protestant’ denominations disagreeing, well, I suppose it comes with the territory. Scripture is tricky, we do the best we can and trust that the Holy Spirit guides us in truth.

I would also add that it seems that you’re understanding of the Bible is often at odds with the Orthodox church’s understanding of the Bible.

I think you misunderstood my post. I probably didn’t structure it well.

I was merely pointing out that Protestants not only disagree with Catholics as to the meaning of much of the bible, but they disagree with eachother as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.