Protesters Assault Trump Supporters With Eggs, Bottles, Punches After Rally

SAN JOSE, Calif. — Donald Trump supporters were mobbed and assaulted by protesters on Thursday night after the candidate’s campaign rally in California.

The violence broke out after the event in San Jose wrapped up just before 8 p.m. local time (11 p.m. ET). Some Trump supporters were punched. One woman wearing a “Trump” jersey was cornered, spit at, and pelted with eggs and water bottles.

Police held back at first but eventually moved in. San Jose Police Sgt. Enrique Garcia told NBC News that several protesters were arrested and one officer was assaulted in the melee.

nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/protesters-assault-trump-supporters-eggs-bottles-punches-after-rally-n585096

Unbelievable ! At some point Trump supporters are going to start fighting back and then we’ll hear hysterical left wing voices blabbering how “This is Fascism”.

Yes. The Trump supporters will be the bad guys no matter what they do. I understand these people who assaulted them were also burning an American flag. If Trump supporters were the egg tossers it would be a lot bigger story on the news. I am sure that the twist on this story will eventually be that the Trump supporters incited it.

This is shameful behavior on the part of the protestors. Civil disobedience and protest in a democracy are not an excuse for violence.

It’s not acceptable for anyone to be doing this. HRC denounced this type of behavior. She didn’t offer to pay the legal expenses.

San Jose needs Stand Your Ground laws.

These protesters are acting stupidly.

I get their anger and I share some of it, but how the is physically attacking Trump supporters going to help the cause? They are playing right into Trump’s hands and his narrative. Trump has been hoping for something like this to happen since it’s primarily been his supporters who have caused the most violence at previous rallies, and trump himself promotes and incites violence. Now he can point to the other side.

Trump has been on his heels, and this helps him immensely. Instead of talking about Trump scandals we’re talking about the thuggish protesters who beat up and bloodied Trump supporters. Trump and the media will use this as a reset to talk only about the protesters and not Trump U, his lawsuits, or his racism.

Expect like this to escalate as the election gets closer. This - sadly - won’t be the last violent incident this election.

Not only is attempting to physically intimidating voters unacceptable behavior, but it’s also stupid behavior. I wonder just how many people will vote Trump just to spite the mob? As a Canadian I’ve been following the election since the beginning and although I remain repulsed by Trump, there’s a growing part of hoping he’ll take the presidency because some of his detractors repulse me more. That’s not good democracy! That’s not good for anyone.

Although the current domestic situation is quite different, what you mention about the protesters’ not helping the cause reminds me of the 1968 Democratic Convention in which the violent eruption on the streets hurt the Democrats and enabled Nixon to run on a law-and-order platform.

Despite the fact Nixon was a disturbed individual, if only we had presidential candidates of the quality of Nixon and Humphrey today.

Trump supporters have been causing most of the violence at previous rallies ? You mean like in Chicago, St Louis, Pittsburgh, Albuquerque, Salt Lake City, Costa Mesa, Burlingame, San Diego, etc.

Wonder why police held back for so long, allowing this to continue and even escalate before they stepped in?? Anybody want to take a guess? The Democrats in power were hoping that a Trump supporter would throw a punch so they could capture it and capitalize on it. Cudos to Trump supporters for holding back, and forcing the police to take action on the mob. This story will get buried, the mobs will continue to try and incite violence from the Trump supporters. Would love to know who is paying the protesters this time.

Only my y disdain for those assaultingTrump supporters is greater than my disdain for Trump…but not by much.:smiley:

Let’s all gather around for a moment, so I can tell you a story.

A couple years back, a fundamentalist group of Christians posted videos of them being attacked by a group of Muslims in America. It painted a pretty grim picture, suggesting that maybe the right-wing elements in this country are right about the dangers of Islam in America.

However, the entire event happened in Dearborn. MI. As a Michigan resident, something seemed off to me. For the most part, they integrated fairly well into American culture. While I still felt the violence of the counter-protestors was uncalled for, I knew there was something missing. This group of so-called Christians weren’t telling the whole story.

A couple days later, videos began to surface proving me right. These “Christians” came with signs, saying that their prophet was a pedophile burning in hell, and they carried around an actual severed pig’s head that they were shoving in the faces of the people who where there, taunting them.

Again, while it doesn’t justify the use of violence, it does make it a little bit harder to sympathize with the “poor victimized Christians”, since they got the response they were fishing for it the first place.

What does this have to do with this? Well, nothing is black and white. And its highly unlikely that some Trump supporters didn’t deliberately egg on some of the protestors, no pun intended. And this works wonders for the Trump campaign; let’s make out people against Trump to be violent and dangerous… Trump will bring law and order to an out of control America.

It’s politics, 101.

So far the highest arrest total I’ve seen listed is 4 ! If that’s the case, and San Jose has any budget problems in the near future, getting rid of there police force might be a good way to cut expenses. I mean, who really needs to pay a bunch of guys to dress up like Darth Vader so they can watch people get punched and kicked a short distance away.

I cannot imagine how anyone could treat a woman like that. :mad::mad::mad:

This is profoundly stupid on the part of these protesters. It does nothing but galvanize Trump supporters, and violence is never called for in the process of protesting.

Food for thought; we didn’t see this type of violent protest against Romney or McCain. Trump seems to bring out the worst in everyone.

I’m with you. What the protestors did was uncalled for. There’s enough video to get each of these individuals and lock them up.

Only Donald Trump knows the secret of bringing out the inner criminal lurking below the surface of dozens of street thugs and anarchists ?

So your saying it’s ok for Trump supporters to fight back.

When I said it was ok for people to fight back if they attacked, conservatives here said I wasn’t following MLK, or Gandhi they even said Jesus.

So I guess a true conservative can fight back and it be ok, but everyone else, is wrong?

Huh interesting

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.