Proverbs 12:12 interpretation

Hi, English is not my first language, please help explain this in simple english:

Proverbs 12:12
He that is delighted in passing his time over wine, leaveth a reproach in his strong holds.

What is reproach? I find in dictionary:censure
Strong holds:confused:?

Is this positive or negative? To persuade or dissuade us from drinking wine? Thanks so much

The Douay-Rheims is a hard translation for even a native English speaker to understand sometimes.

I think this is the verse in the RSV which is very different, seemingly…

***He who tills his land will have plenty of bread, but he who follows worthless pursuits has no sense.

In other words, be diligent in life. Don’t indulge too much in wine drinking and similar things.

Hi Teresa, I looked up Prov 12:12 in several translations as follows:

RSV - The strong tower of the wicked comes to ruin,
but the root of the righteous stands firm.

DRB - The desire of the wicked is the fortification of evil men: but the root of the just shall prosper

KJV - The wicked desireth the net of evil men: but the root of the righteous yieldeth fruit.

It looks like it is DRB 12:11 He that tilleth his land shall be satisfied with bread: but he that pursueth idleness is very foolish. He that is delighted in passing his time over wine, leaveth a reproach in his strong holds.

So, to answer your questions:

Rebuke - a cause or occasion of blame, discredit, or disgrace
Stronghold - A fortress or safe place

So, more or less it means, if you are drunk all the time, you will bring disgrace on yourself and your home.

Reproach as a noun, means a disgrace; it’s always a negative word.
A stronghold, is merely a fort or place of defense.

So: the sentence has as a simplified meaning:
A person who drinks wine, leaves their defenses in disgrace.

I am not sure where the sentence you speak of comes from, as it is not in several bibles – but only the KJV; and so I am not sure of what the sentence means in context.

Where did you get your translation of Prv 12:12?
A multitude of other translations can be found here. None are like yours.

Actually it is Proverbs 12:11 and you missed out part of it.

11 He that tilleth his land shall be satisfied with bread: but he that pursueth idleness is very foolish.
He that is delighted in passing his time over wine, leaveth a reproach in his strong holds.

Here is the Haydock Commentary on that verse.

Ver. 11. Idleness. Hebrew, “the idle.” Their company is seducing. — He that, &c. This occurs in the Septuagint, but not in the Hebrew or the new edition of St. Jerome. (Calmet) — Wine. Or “in taverns.” — Holds. Soldiers have thus been often surprised. (Menochius) — “Drunkenness is an incitement to lust and madness, the poison of wisdom.” (St. Ambrose)

Sorry, it is proverbs 12:11

Thanks for the answers!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.