Proverbs 16:31

hi just want to ask what’s the meaning of this verse?

Proverbs 16:31
Old age is a crown of dignity, when it is found in the ways of justice

and this one

Proverbs 16:33
Lots are cast
into the lap, but they are disposed of by the Lord.

thank you :slight_smile:

Ralph, with passages like these it often helps to check other translations. Unless you’re good at going into the original languages, then do that.

I checked Proverbs 16:31 in the NJKV and it’s helpful. “The silver haired head is a crown of glory if it’s found in the way of righteousness”. The phrase Old Age has negative connotations, but Silver Haired Head does not. In either translation I know what it means. Basically, God is saying that if you lived a mostly righteous life, then glory or dignity will be yours in your latter years. This is true. Suppose you lived a life of crime, going in and out of jail, having no real friends, and probably many regrets, unless you have no conscience at all. This person will likely be miserable in old age. This isn’t always true, but it usually is. Read Ecclesiastes to get a good view on how unfair life often is. But in general I’d say this proverb is a truism.

The next one I’m not sure of because I forget what casting Lots meant in ancient times. But they seem to be bad things. So only God can free you of them.

I hope this helped.

Its like how they selected a replacement for Judas. Man cased the lots (dice) but God controls the results.

Acts 1:24 And they prayed and said, “You, O Lord, who know the hearts of all, show which of these two You have chosen :25 to take part in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.” :26 And they cast their lots, and the lot fell on Matthias. And he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

what full and hungry represents in this verse?

Proverbs 28:7
A soul that is full shall tread upon the honeycomb :
and a soul that is hungry shall take even bitter
for sweet

Ralph, try the Haydock Commentary, which is a standard Catholic reference for interpretations of scripture. But, keep in mind that those interpretations given are not inclusive of all possibilities.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.