Proverbs 17 : 26

In The Book of Proverbs, Chapter 17 Verse 26 states:

It is wrong to find a innocent man,      
 but beyond reason to scourge princes.       

Please explain.            
 [INDENT]:bible1::bible1::bible1:[/INDENT]

What translation is that? I think you quoted it from the New American Bible. Other translations make more sense to me, for example:

New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition:
To impose a fine on the innocent is not right,
or to flog the noble for their integrity.

Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition:
It is no good thing to do hurt to the just: nor to strike the prince, who judgeth right.

… but after reading those translations, I now understand the correct sense of the verse in NABRE (not identical to your quotation but close):

New American Bible (Revised Edition):
It is wrong to fine an innocent person,
but beyond reason to scourge nobles.

I don’t know which translation you’re using. Perhaps the following translations will make it clearer.

(Douay Rheims translation) Prov. 17:26 It is no good thing to do hurt to the just: nor to strike the prince, who judgeth right.

(New American Bible translation) Prov. 17:26 It is wrong to fine an innocent man, but beyond reason to scourge princes.

(Revised Standard translation) Prov. 17:26 To impose a fine on a righteous man is not good; to flog noble men is wrong.

Basically, it is saying it is wrong to impose an unjust/undeserved penalty on an innocent person;
and it is also wrong to show disrespect to those in authority by physically (strike/scourge/flog) attacking them.

:hmmm:, perhaps you need a different and perhaps better Bible translation?

In my CPDV it says:

Proverbs

17:26 It is not good to inflict damage on the just, nor to strike the leader who judges uprightly.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.