Proverbs 24:17-18

Hello everyone!

The book of Proverbs says: (24:17-18)

Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, And do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles; Or the LORD will see it and be displeased, And turn His anger away from him.

So:
If I want my enemy to continue to stumble/ fall, should I forbid myself to rejoice when he falls?
However, if I have mercy on my enemy and want him to stop falling, can I make God turn His anger away from him by letting my heart be glad at my enemy’s fall?

Next time my enemy falls, can I openly gloat and say :“I’m just letting my heart be glad so God will turn away His anger from you, read Proverbs 24:17-18!” ?

Thanks!

As I’m sure you know, you should forbid yourself to rejoice when your enemy fails because that is what God says you should do and not because you want your enemy to keep failing.
God loves your enemy (even tho He doesn’t love what your enemy is doing) the same as He loves you.

Are we talking about combat or athletics?

If your adversary in combat stumbles or falls, ask him whether he is ready to surrender. Whenever possible, seek a peaceful end to hostility. Do not hate your adversary, but respect him as your fellow man and a child of God.

If your adversary in sports stumbles or falls, help him to get up. See whether he is okay. If he is injured, call for help and comfort him.

Hi Nita!

Thank you for your response.
Where does it say in the Bible that I have to do forbid myself to rejoice when my enemy fails because that is what God says I should do and not because I want my enemy to keep failing?

-The structure of the command in Prov: 24:17-18 is the following: don’t do X, lest Y happens.In verse 18 God gives me the reason and motivation for obeying his previous verse.

There is such a discrepancy between the self restraint invoked in verse 17, and the cynical motivations expressed in the following verse.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.