Proverbs 3: 3

In The Book of Proverbs, Chapter 3 Verse 3 states:
Let not kindness and fidelity leave you; bind them around your neck;

Please explain: bind them around your neck
:bible1::bible1::bible1:

Hi,

I feel that this proverb means that you should let kindness and fidelity become close to you, so to speak, so that they become a part of you. By binding, I would assume it means putting the two together as you would two pieces of cloth. This, in return, makes the two pieces of cloth, or in this case, you, the person and the 2 virtues, become one “cloth” and plus, it makes the “cloth” stronger.:thumbsup:
These are just my thoughts to it, though, I am not a theologian.

God bless! :slight_smile:

This could be referring to a type of phylactery. Possibly worn around the neck near the heart.

In regard to their origin, however, the custom of wearing protecting coverings on the head and hands must be borne in mind. Saul’s way of appearing in battle, with a crown on his head and wearing bracelets, is connected with this idea. The Proverbs reflect popular conceptions, for they originated in great part with the people, or were addressed to them.* Prov. i. 9, iii. 3, vi. 21, and vii. 3 (comp. Jer. xvii. 1, xxxi. 32-33) clearly indicate the custom of wearing some object, with or without inscription, around the neck or near the heart**; the actual custom appears in the figure of speech. In view of these facts it may be assumed that Ex. xiii. 9, 16, and Deut. vi. 8, xi. 18 must be interpreted not figuratively but literally; therefore it must be assumed that the custom of wearing strips inscribed with Biblical passages is commanded in the Torah. “Bind them as signs on thy hand, and they shall be as ṭoṭafot between thy eyes” assumes that ṭoṭafot were at the time known and in use, but that thenceforth the words of the Torah were to serve as ṭoṭafot (on signs see also I Kings xx. 41; Ezek. ix. 4, 6; Psalms of Solomon, xv. 9; see Breast-plate of the High Priest; Cain).
jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/12125-phylacteries

People can wear necklaces that have the words “kindness” and “fidelity” inscribed on them but I think Solomon was speaking more figuratively and meant that we ought to treasure and practice those virtues.

He says something similar concerning his words and commandments and teachings in Proverbs 7:1-3:
My child, keep my words
and store up my commandments with you;
keep my commandments and live,
keep my teachings as the apple of your eye;
bind them on your fingers,
write them on the tablet of your heart.

Hi, Cyril!
This is a Scriptural theme on how and what the Believers aught to be and do:

18 And his zeal will take armour, and he will arm the creature for the revenge of his enemies. 19 He will put on justice as a breastplate, and will take true judgment instead of a helmet. 20 He will take equity for an invincible shield: (Wisdom 5:18-20)

17 He put on righteousness as his breastplate,
and the helmet of salvation on his head; (Isaiah 59:17)

13 Therefore take unto you the armour of God, that you may be able to resist in the evil day, and to stand in all things perfect. 14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of justice, 15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace: (Ephesians 6:13-15)

Kindness and fidelity are reflected in the golden rule:

37 Jesus said to him: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind. 38 This is the greatest and the first commandment. 39 And the second is like to this: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments dependeth the whole law and the prophets. (St. Matthew 22:37-40)

Use the Commandments as your compass!

Maran atha!

Angel

from Ignatius study book -

loyalty and faithfulness: Often translated “steadfast love and faithfulness”, this familiar word pair typically describes God’s unwavering commitment to his people (Ex 34:6; Ps 86:15; 108:4; 115:1, etc.). Here a father urges his son to direct both his actions (your neck) and his inward intentions (your heart) according to this standard of fidelity to the Lord.

We have to look at the whole context. If I will do it, I would understand it based on the typological evidence of love.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.