Proving our God is the One and Only God

How would we prove to someone of another Faith that our God is the one and only True God and their God(s) are not? I have been pondering that scince we can’t really point to scripture scince they proboly don’t accept it and if they did they could just very well say that our God was just jelous and didn’t want other Gods to be let into the loop. So what could we do? Thanks and God bless.

There is only so much you can do. Start with the creation event and the events of Adam and Eve and tie that to the good news of Jesus Christ. Then go back to the flood when man fell out of favor with God, and his small remant of man that consisted of Noah and his family, survived.

From there all you can tell them is every person on every corner of this planet has had a linage that came from Noah and the survivors of the flood that could of told them about our God. Everybody that belongs to the most primitive tribe everybody that lives in the worlds biggest citys is accountable for their sins to God.

[quote=Montie Claunch]How would we prove to someone of another Faith that our God is the one and only True God and their God(s) are not? I have been pondering that scince we can’t really point to scripture scince they proboly don’t accept it and if they did they could just very well say that our God was just jelous and didn’t want other Gods to be let into the loop. So what could we do? Thanks and God bless.
[/quote]

This is another tough problem. If the person you would try to convince believes in some other god, you are out of luck, since his belief is exactly as well founded as yours. They are both founded on faith, not facts. And faith cannot be shaken by reason - more is the pity.

[quote=1Christ1Church]Then go back to the flood when man fell out of favor with God, and his small remant of man that consisted of Noah and his family, survived.
[/quote]

Ouch! You don’t really mean to start with the most horrible genocide committed by an allegedly loving God? That would be the biggest turn-off I could imagine.

The only words you could give them are the tired “proofs” of God. While they are all well and good, they don’t do much for people in terms of showing them that God truly exists and it is the Christian God that exists. Personally, I would try to show them through the way you live your life. Living for God and truly loving everyone without judgement is the best proof that our God is true. If they don’t believe, it is not your fault, they just close their eyes or the truth is not revealed to them. But even they have a place within God’s plan, always remember that.

[quote=Ianjo99]But even they have a place within God’s plan, always remember that.
[/quote]

Fodder for hell, eh?

[quote=Hitetlen]Fodder for hell, eh?
[/quote]

Obviously :rolleyes:

Through logic and reason you can arrive at the ‘God of the Philosophers,’ demonstrated in ancient Greek philosophy, but beyond this requires the leap of faith. Empirical science alone must ignore God because he is not material (what is called “methodological materialism.”)

[quote=Hitetlen]Ouch! You don’t really mean to start with the most horrible genocide committed by an allegedly loving God? That would be the biggest turn-off I could imagine.
[/quote]

Way to throw a giant red herring in there. :thumbsup:
(God cannot commit genocide).

I would try and show the evidence for jesu’s existence and the reliabilty of our scriptures, and then throw in some supernatural catholic miracles :wink:

[quote=Neithan]Way to throw a giant red herring in there. :thumbsup:
(God cannot commit genocide).
[/quote]

So what would you call the “Flood”? General housekeeping by throwing out the trash? Flushing the toilet? You guys (in the general meaning of the word) cannot cease to amaze me with your liberal usage/misuse/abuse of words. If the meaning is inconvenient, let’s just redefine it?

[quote=Hitetlen]So what would you call the “Flood”? General housekeeping by throwing out the trash? Flushing the toilet? You guys (in the general meaning of the word) cannot cease to amaze me with your liberal usage/misuse/abuse of words. If the meaning is inconvenient, let’s just redefine it?
[/quote]

Oh dear. Let’s take a look:

gen·o·cide (jhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/ebreve.gifnhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/prime.gifhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/schwa.gif-shttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/imacr.gifdhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/lprime.gif)
n.
The systematic and planned extermination of an entire national, racial, political, or ethnic group.

The flood was not a ‘systematic and planned extermination’ of any particular nation, race, political or ethnic group. It was a massive natural disaster. How do you figure this is a genocide? Whose twisting definitions? Smells like hypocrisy to me.

[quote=Neithan]…

The flood was not a ‘systematic and planned extermination’ of any particular nation, race, political or ethnic group. It was a massive natural disaster. How do you figure this is a genocide? Whose twisting definitions? Smells like hypocrisy to me.
[/quote]

Indeed, the Flood was not the destruction of any particular group - it was the destruction of all of them. And - just to ask - did God plan the flood? Or was it more of an “oops”?

I see two problems here. First of all there is no evidence what-so-ever that there was a flood covering the whole earth. Secondly there are reasonable suppostions by some folks that at least some of the gods of the ancient world and perhaps even today are in reality demons or fallen angels. We certainly recognize that there is only one God who has existed forever, but there is, at least in my opinion, a good probability that there are other gods of more finite origin that are quite real and which have certain powers beyond those of ordinary man. The notion of selling one’s soul to the devil is a real possibility.

[quote=EnterTheBowser]Indeed, the Flood was not the destruction of any particular group - it was the destruction of all of them.
[/quote]

And this indiscretion means? That’s right–not a genocide! Mass murder maybe? Nah… more like mass capital punishment :frowning:

• And - just to ask - did God plan the flood? Or was it more of an “oops”?*

To liberally paraphrase Einstein: ‘God doesn’t “oops.”’

[quote=rwoehmke]First of all there is no evidence what-so-ever that there was a flood covering the whole earth.
[/quote]

Right, and the Church has never definitively declared as such. In fact, the 1908 Catholic Encyclopedia already abandoned the geographic universality of the Deluge in favour of an anthropological one.

For an excellent classic on this whole topic of Christianity among other religions, I strongly recommend *The Everlasting Man *by **G.K. **Chesterton. This is the book that C.S. Lewis claimed to have the greatest influence on him. You can even read it online here.

Several years ago Scientists on the Glomar Challenger took core samples of the floor of the Med and Black Seas and wrote a book called “Noah’s Flood” . The Med was once a dry desert and the Black Sea a freshwater lake about 500 feet shallower than it is today. There is evidence that the Bosporus once formed a land barrier between the Black Sea and the Med which filled up somewhat over 12000 years ago when a rock formation that included what is now the Island of Gibralter broke down. The land barrier between the Med and the Black Sea eventually broke down also and they therorize that there was a catastrophic flooding of salt water into the “Black Lake” which was surrounded by human settlements. In the flood the people scattered in several directions and formed separate tribal units all of which developed a flood myth. Those moving East could have ended up around the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.