Proving Scripture to a non-beleiver

How would one prove that Scripture is Divine Revelations to a non-beleiver? Thanks and God bless.

[quote=Montie Claunch]How would one prove that Scripture is Divine Revelations to a non-beleiver? Thanks and God bless.
[/quote]

That would be a tall order. The basic problem is that you have no good starting point. You cannot start with the Bible and use it as a proof, since that would be circular reasoning. So where would you begin? There is nothing else.

Well, what can be done is showing all the Old Testament prophecies that Jesus fulfilled.

The books that contain the prophecies were written thousands of years before Christ. One prophecy contains the crucifixion thousands of years before it was even invented.

Ken

I believe a time-proven method is to present the Catholic position (Truth) along with discussion on why that position is possible (reason)

Truth and Reason always go hand in hand.

As for proving Truth… God does that in His time. Our job is to present the Truth and Reason… not to try and force acceptance.

[quote=Montie Claunch]How would one prove that Scripture is Divine Revelations to a non-beleiver?
[/quote]

You need to back-up a few steps, because the inspired nature of the Scripture can only be demonstrated as the result of a progression of truths, so you need to back up to the first truth that gets it going.

If, by “non-believer” you mean an atheist, then you must first prove that God exists (you can skip this step if he already believes in God but not Jesus, such as, prehaps, a Jew).

Then you must prove that Jesus existed (in a purely historical sense). That’s pretty easy to do; I don’t know of any reputable historian who questions that a person named Jesus (or some very similar phonetical variation of the name) lived and died and gathered a following.

Then you must prove that Jesus is the Son of God. You may (and probably will) need to demonstrate the logic and truth of the Trinity before you can do that.

Then you must prove that Jesus established a Church on earth, and gave the Church the special spiritual gift of assurance that whatever She teaches is guaranteed (by God) to be the truth. You must include the (very specific and limited) means by which the Church teaches in this infallable manner (ie, ex Cathedra or by Ecumenical Council).

Then you show that the Church so teaches that the Bible is the inspired Word of God (and that’s easy to do from the Council of Trent).

Any one of these tasks is beyond the scope of this thread, but these have all been addressed on this forum (and in many writings) in great detail.

Do you know where I can find these threads? I would be ever so gratefull.

[quote=Montie Claunch]Do you know where I can find these threads? I would be ever so gratefull.
[/quote]

Are you unaware that this forum includes a Search function?

Try it out - all your questions will be answered.

[quote=kleary]Well, what can be done is showing all the Old Testament prophecies that Jesus fulfilled.
[/quote]

As recently as three years ago I had NO CLUE that this was the case.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.