proving that God is one person

how many gods do you believe in ,do you believe that God is one person or 3 persons or more
i say that the is God (one true god) named in arabic allah and in aramic alaha and he is one person not 3 and he is like nothing else and he dont look like us in anything
and i wanna you share me in this discussion

Ecumenism is the movement of all major religions to promote unity – that is, sharing in conversation and worship – both between and within those religions. Here are the opening words – in their original languages – of the three major Abrahammic religions (those claiming Abraham as their first Patriarch in faith).
·Shema Yisrael, Adonai elohenu, Adonai ehad: Hebrew for, ‘Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God! The LORD is One!’
·Pisteuomen eis hena Theon: Greek for, ‘We believe in one God’.
·La ilaha illa Allah: Arabic for, ‘There is no God but God’.
All three Creeds begin with the unity of God. That’s how dialogue begins *between *Judaism, Christianity and Islam. We’re all ‘one’ in that belief.

Christians also believe that God is Three persons. One divine essence and nature, three persons. That is no more a contradiction than saying that there is one human nature consisting of multiple human persons. For God the number is exactly three. For humans, the number of limitless.

Allah for Arabic Christians is Trinity: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

To deny this truth is to deny Christ. Many Christians have died proclaiming Jesus’ divinity at the hands of those who disagree, those who violently affirm a strict unity of God in both nature and personhood.

but God is one person not three our God is one not 3

You will not have anyone here disagree that there is 1 God that we worship.

ok let me as you he is one person or more ?

Depends on who you (and he) think he is talking to, just the Christians on this forum or all of the rest of us as well :slight_smile: . Personally, I am a polytheist. I have no idea if there is an upper limit to the number of beings humans refer to as Gods, but I have definitely experienced more than one. There may be an ultimate “ground of being” from which the Gods and humanity (as well as all of the universe) sprang, but if such exists, then it is as far removed from our direct human experience as the Horsehead Nebula is from that of an ant in my front yard.

Another fine example of G. K. Chesterton’s observation: [FONT=Arial]“When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing – they believe in anything.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]

I am sorry, I do not understand what you are saying here?

God is not a person in the way humans are persons. The use of the word ‘persons’ to describe the three aspects of God is a linguistic problem IMHO. It stems from using the word ‘persona’ which can mean personality aspects. There are three ASPECTS of God as seen by Christians. In the Bible these three aspects are the creator (the Father), the savior (the Son) and the redeemer (the Holy Spirit).

Humans have different aspects, or personas, one person can be a father, a husband and a physician. They are all aspects of the same human.

Christians believe in ONE God and only ONE God. He has chosen to show us different aspects of him self and manifest in different ways. He spoke to Moses though a burning bush. Surely God can do anything he so chooses. He is not limited by our human imagination. Those humans who try to limit God by the limits of their own imagination are creating their own god in their own image.

The Trinity is a word Christians use to explain things that God revealed.

I must respectfully disagree strongly with the idea that God is three aspects. That’s called Modalism, a heresy attributed to a Roman named Sabellius. He taught that God is three modes, like masks on a single actor. To say that the Father alone is Creator, the Son alone is Redeemer, the Spirit alone is Sanctifier, is to subscribe to modalism. In actual fact, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are each Creator, Redeemer and Sanctifier (eg, of Christ in the Creed, 'through him all things were made).

God’s Trinue nature is not functional. It is personal. In the Greek, the word for person is hypostasis. The hypostatic union is thus the union of the divine and human natures (ways of being) in one Person (the co-eternal and consubstantial Second Person of the Trinity).

Oh, I am far from believing in just “anything” :slight_smile:

tanslation of the meaning of the qur`an
(( 23:90. Nay, but We have brought them the truth (Islâmic Monotheism), and verily, they (disbelievers) are liars.

91. No son (or offspring) did Allâh beget, nor is there any ilâh (god) along with Him. (If there had been many gods), then each god would have taken away what he had created, and some would have tried to overcome others! Glorified be Allâh above all that they attribute to Him!))

so now let us see
what if there is many gods >>>>
1- either each one will do what he want ,if so then each god would have taken away what he had created, and some would have tried to overcome others! (if that happen that every god will take his creation and he will be their one god) or the cosmos will be destroyed (and that dont happen)
2-or one of them will give up of some of his creation to the other ,if so then he isnt God bec a part of his creation is out of his reach ,there is also another thing the cosmos is dependant on each other so that part that he had given up will affect the part that is under his control and the reverse will occur so that mean he didnt give up of some of his creation to the other so called deity

now we believe that there is one god

let us see how many persons is God

1- we said he is many persons ,then i ask is any of them God ,if you said yes they i will say that you are polytheist (we proved that there is one god see above) if you say they dont have conflicts then i say they must be same and equal or not ? if you said they are different >>>conflicts ,if they are same then i ask you they must be repeat of each other ? if you say they are not >>>>they are different (polytheism) ,if they are same then i tell you that one is enough ,if you said no then i tell you that if that one need another one then he isnt God bec God is enough and he dont need a help ,if you said that he is enough then i tell you that the other persons are not needed (and God is needed not reverse )and so they are not God

so we see that there is one god ,and God is one person :slight_smile:

I am sorry I do not know a lot about the Islamic faith. I am guessing this is from the Quran? About what timeframe was this written?

Of couse, Muhammad said so, so it’s official! No proof required.:smiley:

funny so funny
i`m just using logic and i said the verse to just tell you that God refuse polytheism but other things is just using logic

anyone can post a question or a proof to say its illogical

When Jesus said “The Father and I are One,” he was talking about two distinct persons, Father and Son. So how could they be One? They are one by having one essence–the nature of God which is one. I am not prepared to argue with God about His own nature, which He clearly revealed as one nature expressed in three persons.

1. No son (or offspring) did Allâh beget, nor is there any ilâh (god) along with Him. (If there had been many gods), then each god would have taken away what he had created, and some would have tried to overcome others! Glorified be Allâh above all that they attribute to Him!))

Why must the bolded statement be true? If, as Christians understand, the One God exists in the Unity of three Persons, then the Godhead would be a perfect harmony. Harmony entails Love as its foundation. Where Love is, there is no “taking away” or “overcoming others.”

are one in purpose not in personality see
they(jews) misunderstood him and the same did you (christians)
see
john 10: 31Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him, 32but Jesus said to them, "I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?“
33"We are not stoning you for any of these,” replied the Jews, "but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God."
they misunderstood him and they thought that he claims divinity
but he tried to explain to them that he isnt God and that they misunderstood him
34Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are gods’[e]?
that he is just not talking in reality its just a symbol
if it was said that you are gods why dont you let me say that

Apparently, they DIDN’T misunderstand him, as this was the main charge against him.

Jesus had ample opportunity to make it clear to his closest associates that he was not God. Instead, he convinced them of the opposite. So much so that they were willing to die rather than reject that truth.

So now you figure, some 2000 years later, that you understand his meaning better than those who lived with him throughout his earthly ministry?

i will let christians here to see if the jews were understanding christ or not

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.