Proving virginity of Mary to an unbeliever

How can we know for sure that Mary was a virgin?

How can we know that it was the Holy Spirit that caused her to conceive?

Just because its written in a book [The Bible]?

What other evidence/arguments could be made to support this belief?

If a person doesn’t believe in the inspired nature of Scripture, it would be useless to try to convince them of a fact that is only found there. You’d have to convince them that Scripture is at least historically reliable, or you are putting the cart before the horse. It sounds like a strange hang-up fro your questionaer to have if he isn’t a believer–why should he even care?

I’d recommend a couple of books. One is by a Protestant named Josh McDowell called “Evidence That Demands a Verdict.” Catholics would disagree with some of the things he has to say, but it is an easy read and, for the subject at hand, it might be useful.

I’d also recommend “Handbook of Catholic Apologetics” by Peter Kreeft and Ronald Tecelli, both Catholics. This book systmatically addresses every objection of this type an unbeliever might have.

[quote=Fidelis]If a person doesn’t believe in the inspired nature of Scripture, it would be useless to try to convince them of a fact that is only found there. You’d have to convince them that Scripture is at least historically reliable, or you are putting the cart before the horse. It sounds like a strange hang-up fro your questionaer to have if he isn’t a believer–why should he even care?

I’d recommend a couple of books. One is by a Protestant named Josh McDowell called “Evidence That Demands a Verdict.” Catholics would disagree with some of the things he has to say, but it is an easy read and, for the subject at hand, it might be useful.

I’d also recommend “Handbook of Catholic Apologetics” by Peter Kreeft and Ronald Tecelli, both Catholics. This book systmatically addresses every objection of this type an unbeliever might have.
[/quote]

What about telling them about the historical individual called Isaiah who prophesied some 700 + years before Christ that *Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign. Behold a Virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and his name shall be called Emmanuel. *(Is. 7:14)

If one cannot trust in the written record of the gospels as authentic, then one cannot trust or believe the other teachings that the gospels present either as authentic. Such as God coming to earth, becoming a man, dying for our sins, his resurrection and commanding his disciples in instruction to pass on to the church. It is just that plain.

Mary being a virgin and remaining a virgin is based on faith in what the scriptures and the church has always taught. It goes against our human understanding, because it was and is a miracle of God. Hail Mary full of Grace, blessed be the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Everything about our blessed mother is of Grace and of God. 

Men can deny it and many have and will, but that doesn't mean that it isn't so. Men deny the things of our Lord, that he is God incarnate and has risen from the dead, but their denial does not mean it truly isn't a fact of life and history. I say, stand firm in the faith. We are surrounded by the communion of saints. Rejoice, I say for the greatest minds of men are folly, to the miraculous things God has done and is yet to do.

[quote=James_2:24]How can we know for sure that Mary was a virgin?

How can we know that it was the Holy Spirit that caused her to conceive?

Just because its written in a book [The Bible]?

What other evidence/arguments could be made to support this belief?
[/quote]

Mary makes sense only in relation to her Son - unless He is believed in, beliefs about her are unlikely to make much sense.

Ultimately, her virginity cannot be proved. ##

The ironic thing is that scholars pretty much accept any old manuscript unquestioningly. You don’t see anyone asking about the reliability of the writings of Ovid, for example. Not many people say that Vergil didn’t write the Aeneid or that someone else wrote the Catalinian Orations and attributed them to Cicero. But suddenly they see the Bible and they flip out about how it’s not historical and you can’t prove it. They didn’t seem to mind about all those other old writings, but now it’s very important.

Who cares if an unbeliever thinks Mary was a virgin?

When God calls them to believe, then we should worry about it.

[quote=AlanFromWichita]Who cares if an unbeliever thinks Mary was a virgin?

When God calls them to believe, then we should worry about it.
[/quote]

I’ve been rethinking this response. On a practical level, it may be true. Then again, this is an apologetics forum, and I suppose there isn’t anything wrong with dreaming of “selling straw hats to Eskimos” as it were. Shoot big, I suppose.

There is perhaps nobody quicker to judge than I, even though I find it offensive when others judge. What a sad state I am in.

Now here’s where the pride comes in – am I saying this because of … whatever … ? I dunno. Here I am, FWIW. I’m sorry if I spoiled a good thread. Of course, even now it’s all about me…

When one demon leaves I’m certain that seven more subtle and sinister come back.

Alan

Originally Posted by AlanFromWichita
*Who cares if an unbeliever thinks Mary was a virgin? :bigyikes:

When God calls them to believe, then we should worry about it.:frowning: *

I care because she is the Most Holy Mother of God and I love her, I find it very sad that people want to pierce her heart with more thorns.
We Catholic’s must pray our rosary everyday for the conversion of sinners as she instucted us to at Fatima.:love:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.