Prune/Craisins recipes

I would like to ask if anyone here knows some prune and craisins recipes I can try?

You see, a friend gave me a box of prunes and my sister gave my mom a big bag of craisins. Since these ingredients are imported from other countries (not coming from my country), I don’t know what to make from them.

Someone suggested Prune cake, as I have too much cake flour in the house (4 kilos) that I need to use as well.

I have searched some sites for a recipe, some were interesting, but I would rather have recipes that have been tried and tested and certified good by others.

Anyone, care to share some Prune and craisins recipes with me that you’ve tried before and liked?

Thanks in advance…:smiley:

While there are probably lots of things you could cook with these, you can also just eat them as is.

These are my family favorites:

Quick Cranberry Nut Fudge
Yield: 3 dozen pieces

2 packages (12 ounces each)
semisweet chocolate chips
1 package (6 ounces) sweetened cranberries
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Melt the chocolate chips until smooth in the microwave or in a saucepan. Stir in the cranberries, milk, vanilla, and nuts. Pour into a buttered 10x7-inch pan. After the fudge has solidified, cut into 1-inch pieces.

Prune Kolaches

Crust:
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

Beat butter or margarine and cream cheese in mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add flour gradually, beating well after each addition.
Roll dough to 1/8 inch thickness on lightly floured surface. Cut into 2-inch circles. Spoon 1/4 teaspoon filling into center of each circle (see recipe for filling below). Fold opposite edges together, slightly overlapping edges.
Place 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 15 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.

Prune Filling:
2 cups pitted prunes
2 cups prune juice or water
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves, or to taste
2 tablespoons lime juice

Combine the prunes, prune juice, 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, cloves and lime juice in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, and simmer until prunes are soft and the sauce has thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and blend together with a mixer until smooth.

I usually double the amount of crust and use assorted jams. If you have left over prune filling, it is delicious on toast.

Enjoy and God Bless

They’re also good with meat, although I can’t give you a specific recipe. I’ve had them with bigos (traditional Polish dish consisting of cabbage, meat, sausage and some other ingredients, often including prunes and mushroom) and with beef in beer sauce.

Baked Oatmeal
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup melted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup dried cranberries (craisins)

[LIST=1]
*]Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
*]In a large bowl, mix together oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Beat in milk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Stir in dried cranberries. Spread into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
*]Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes[/LIST]

Rice Pudding

3/4 cup uncooked white rice
2 cups milk, divided
1/3 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
2/3 cup craisins
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

[LIST=1]
*]In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
*]In another saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups cooked rice, 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk, beaten egg and craisins. Cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in butter and vanilla. Serve warm. [/LIST]

Banana Prune Muffins
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 cup mashed banana
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped pitted prunes

[LIST=1]
*]Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a muffin pan, or use paper liners.
*]In a large bowl, combine sugar, oil and eggs. Beat until smooth. Blend in banana and vanilla. Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, then stir into egg mixture until just moistened. Mix in the prunes. Spoon into muffin cups.
*]Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. [/LIST]

I don’t know about the prunes, but I think you can substitute the Craisins for raisins in almost any recipe. Just be aware that they have a tartness that raisins don’t have.

I use them in oatmeal cookies and pumpkin bread and they taste great. My son and husband prefer the Craisins to raisins!

I suppose you could chop up the prunes and do likewise… frankly, I just don’t DO prunes! :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi everyone!

When I ask for ideas…they really pour them here at CAF. :smiley:

I love to eat craisins as is too…but since they’re so special here (not common), I reserved some for eating…and the rest for cooking or baking… my sis gave us a lot of craisins that can stretch for many recipes plus eating as is.

I have great ideas from your answers. Thank you very,very much for sharing your treasured recipes and ideas with me.

Me…It’s New Year’s Eve already here in my country (actually its just about 10:45 AM (or so…coz the clock beside me isn’t working :o )…so I’m off to my baking duties with your recipes in mind for the prunes and craisins that we have in the house.

Many thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR to all!! :smiley:

Also–sprinkle them in oatmeal and on salads…believe it or not, you will love these on your salads! :slight_smile:

I like craisins on my morning oatmeal. And the prunes are good as is. But have a bathroom nearby.:rolleyes:
Kathy

Hi Katie1723 and whatevergirl,

Thanks for the idea. I am going to diet after the holidays (Jan 2)…that means, I will eat OATMEALS and SALADS. To me dieting doesn’t have to be torture…since I can eat healthy foods that I like. Crasins in my salads and oatmeal are good ideas to add flavor.

Thanks for the tip. :smiley:

I like Craisins as they are but I also put substitute them for raisins in things like others have suggested. I also like them with cooked green beans. I blanch or boil the green beans and toss the craisins in near the end so they plump back up. Drain, stir in some butter, add a dash of salt and enjoy.

Craisins with green beans…hmmm…that’s something new.

Thanks for the recipe. :smiley:

I had a tasty salad at a restaurant that started with leafy salad greens. It had mandarin orange slices, Craisins, blue cheese crumbles and chopped pecans tossed through with a light vinegarette dressing. It was served with a sliced chicken breast on top that had been cooked with a very light coating and covered with chopped pecans also.

My mother used prunes snipped to the size of raisins in any recipe that called for raisins. Many people don’t know the difference when they are substituted into baked goods. Many people act as if prunes are some horrible outer space food, but they are just dried plums. Plums are yummy! Prunes have a strong flavor because they are dried, but put them into baked things like cookies or breads (especially with some nuts) and the flavor is great. I have had a great pork loin that was cooked with prunes also.

I toss extra Craisins into the mix when I make cranberry/orange muffins from a box mix. Substituting orange juice for the water in the mix gives them a more distinctive flavor that balances out the cranberry nicely. Most people assume that they are not from a box mix.

Hi jc-servant,

I had a tasty salad at a restaurant that started with leafy salad greens. It had mandarin orange slices, Craisins, blue cheese crumbles and chopped pecans tossed through with a light vinegarette dressing. It was served with a sliced chicken breast on top that had been cooked with a very light coating and covered with chopped pecans also.

This is good, although pecan can be very expensive here in my country. Hmmm…maybe I can switch it to our local nut called pili, which I can slice like sliced almonds. My mom had adapted you Pecan Pie using our pili nut with great success…perhaps it will work with this recipe too. Vinegarette dressing is perfect as I am on a diet officially today. :smiley:

I toss extra Craisins into the mix when I make cranberry/orange muffins from a box mix. Substituting orange juice for the water in the mix gives them a more distinctive flavor that balances out the cranberry nicely. Most people assume that they are not from a box mix

I like muffins too.

Thank you for the recipes. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.