Psalm 110:1 please help

Hi All,

I’ve read Psalm 110:1 in the Revised New Jerusalem Bible. It’s puzzling right from the start.

(Yahweh declared to my Lord, take your seat at my right hand, till I have made your enemies your footstool.

I’ve gone through this forum and many other web pages and seriously am having trouble with this. I firmly believe in the trinity, but I don’t know how to explain to speculators who refuse the trinity and use this verse against me. I’m finding it really difficult to explain it to them.

Any help would be appreciated

What apecifically are you having trouble with?

1 Like

See Hebrews 5. Note that my lord is the Messiah, priest forever in the manner of Melchizedek. (Psalm 110:5).

Firstly, remember to distinguish the Trinity: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Our Lord (saviour) is Jesus Christ, and Yahweh (although meaning God) is most often used in reference to the Father.

In the apostolic creed Jesus is “seated at the right hand of the Father”

Who are Christ’s enemies? Those who spat on Him and mocked Him, and continue to deliberately and willfully disobey His word for the sake of it…

Hopefully this has helped you.

1 Like

The Trouble I’m having is with people who believe that Jesus is the Son of God but not God the Father. This verse seems to shows that Yahweh (the Father) says to the Lord(Son of God, Jesus).
My understanding is that Jesus is both Human and Divine, but in Heaven he’s part of the Trinity with the Father and Holy Spirit that make up one God.

When this Psalm was written, Jesus was not on earth in his Human form, so therefore through my logic Yahweh (the Father) is One with (Son of God, Jesus) so how can one be saying something to the other?

I’ve looked up many verses which this is quoted:
Verse is quoted in:
Matthew 22:44; Mark 12:36; Luke 20:42,43; Acts 2:34-35; Hebrews 1:13. Compare: Matthew 26:64; Mark 14:62; 16:19; Luke 22:69; 1 Corinthians 15:25; Ephesians 1:20; Colossians 3:1; Hebrews 1:3; 8:1; 10:12,13; 12:2; 1 Peter 3:22

Unfortunately, after reading all these I cannot make sense of it and I strongly believe there needs to be something in the Bible which will explain why Yahweh (the Father) speaks to the Lord(Son of God, Jesus), while still defending the Trinity.

Basically my question is, how can Yahweh, speak to Jesus in heaven when they are One. Even more importantly biblical proof to back up the point would also be very very very helpful.

Thanks

The Three Persons of the Trinity are in constant communication with each other at all times. They don’t become an inseparable mass just because Jesus is in Heaven.

2 Likes

“I and the Father are one.” Jn 10:30.

Yes,

But other people believe the Messiah is the Son of God, who is separate from Yahweh. Therefore this doesn’t work. I want to find a way to explain this to them. I tried explaining to them with example in the Bible, but the question that I could not answer is.

If the Father and Jesus in heaven make up one Yahweh, than why when they’re both in Heaven is Yahweh speaking to Jesus?

Yes I’ve referenced that, but still doesn’t explain in a logical sense how it’s possible

Yes I know, but can this be find in the bible, can you please guide me to it if it is

Based on what I’ve read, Jesus used it to demonstrate that the Messiah is greater than King David, and not just the Son of David.

The Father has not given that understanding to us yet and as long as it is not illogical it works for the believer.

Peace!!!

You’re going to have some difficulties here trying to find Scriptural support for everything that goes on with the Trinity. The Trinity is a central mystery of our faith, God hasn’t fully revealed it to us, and the doctrine on it comes more from councils and theologians than from Scripture itself.
Nevertheless you might try some of the Biblical references from the footnotes of the Catechism sections on the Trinity, such as CCC 260.

2 Likes

There are three persons in Trinity, each of whom is the One God. The One God is not made up of 3 persons, as if 1/3 of God is the Father. Rather, all of God is the Father, all of God is the Son, all is the Spirit.

In Heaven, these three persons exist together. The Father loves the Son and the Spirit. The Father speaks to the others.

Try St. Bellarmines commentary here:

https://www.ecatholic2000.com/bell/psalms.shtml#_Toc417747249

Don’t forget, the Trinity is one God in three divine persons (or beings). They are separate and distinct, but also intrinsically united

One in being =No beginning no end.

I just read an interesting analogy from Aponius, an early Christian writer from the near East.

Aponius used the analogy that Scripture and Tradition were like two breasts that provide nutrition to “baby” Christians, and both kinds of milk count as Apostolic teaching, straight from Jesus.

Then he went on to compare the Apostles’ teaching to the things you can do with a higher butterfat content milk – that it looks like it’s just liquid milk, but also contains contents that can only be separated by skill (such as curds, and butter which needs to be churned out of the milk).

(Btw, it turns out that there is such a thing as sheep’s milk butter and cheese, and the passage talks a lot about the Lamb, right before this. Casting the Church as a spotless ewe is pretty common.)

The Bible has a lot of references to the Trinity, and Jesus spoke about it more clearly to His Apostles. But it took study and skill for the Church to understand the implications that had always been right there. This was one of the things that the Holy Spirit taught us, which the Apostles could not have understood until Jesus ascended into Heaven.

1 Like

Arthur.k (regarding Trinitarian doctrine) . . . .

Yes I’ve referenced that, but still doesn’t explain in a logical sense how it’s possible

Arthur.k.

There are alleged “truths” that go against reason. Falsehoods.

There are truths consistent with reason. (i.e. 1+1=2).

But there are truths that are ABOVE human reason that have to do with God.

• Against reason (NOT truth but may purport to be)

• With reason

• Above reason

Concerning God . . . We would EXPECT some truths ABOVE reason (that a finite human mind could never grasp), because of WHO God is (The eternal infinite “I Am”).

As a matter-of-fact, if ALL truths concerning God were deducible by mere human reason, you would no for sure that ISN’T God.

OK.

Q: But HOW can we know those Truths that exceed human reason?

A: Only one way. They MUST be revealed to us. Things like the Incarnation, the Trinity, and the problem of evil, are all things we can and should explore, but we can never completely unpack such truths.

Q: OK. But HOW do we know for SURE, they are “truths” and we are not being fooled by false doctrine?

A: The Resurrection and reliable witnesses (martyrs) to the Risen Christ along with grace.

These truths that are ABOVE reason, are sometimes called . . . “Mysteries”.

We know God is Trinity, because God tells us He is Trinity. That’s WHY we can have an ETERNAL Father.

Because He has been “Fathering” from all eternity. So that means there HAS TO be someone that He is “Fathering to” eternally – the Son.

God is ONE God. But He is Three Divine Persons in that ONE God. And we know this, because God tells us this.

Hope this helps.

God bless.

Cathoholic

So basically you’re having trouble understanding the mystery of the Trinity? & it’s kinda hard to explain something you don’t understand yourself.

I don’t understand the mystery of the Trinity myself. I couldn’t explain it to you so, I won’t try.

But why do you believe in heaven the unity of the Trinity is different than it is on earth? Jesus said, “When you see me, you see the Father.” Remember this was in reply to, “Show us the Father?”

I remember John 11:42

You always hear me, but I said it out loud for the sake of all these people standing here, so that they will believe you sent me.”

From that I always understood a lot of the dialogue in the Bible is for our benefit. To help us know & understand the mind of God. Like in Genesis when God says, “Let us make man in our image.”

Who is talking to who? What language was he speaking? Surely words weren’t spoken. I mean this was before there was a need for a spoken language.

But the words were spoken to someone way back then, inspired by the Holy Spirit of God & repeated generation after generation before being written down in an ancient tongue & translated umpteen times for you & I to understand the will of God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.