Psalm Problem.

I was reading Summa Theologica when I came across:

Ps. 103:26: “This dragon which Thou hast formed—He who was the more excellent than the rest in nature, became the greater in malice.”

However in my Bible Psalm 103 only has 22 verses and does not contain this line.

What is going on?

Thanks.

It would seem that modern bibles use the Hebrew numbering of the psalms. Psalm 9 becomes Psalm 10 after verse 21. Psalm 147 is included with Psalm 146. Between these add 1 (104:26).

Summa Theologica:

Ps. 103:26: “This dragon which Thou hast formed—He who was the more excellent than the rest in nature, became the greater in malice.”

1950 Catholic Bible with the double-numbered Psalms has:

103:26 - And where ships move about with Leviathan, which you formed to make sport of it. (This is also the context of the Interlinear Hebrew Bible - mock/make sport/deride.)

Q: What Bible was used by Aquinas to get the translation he used? It seems to make a different point than the other translations.

A link to a site that shows the areas of different numbering of the DRV, if anyone would be interested:

haydock1859.tripod.com/id330.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.