Psalter and Byzantine Canon?

Glory to Jesus Christ!

I actually have two questions:

1. Does anybody know what translation of the Psalms the Rutheinan Catholics use? Google doesn’t forums.catholic.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

2. Do the Ruthenians accept any of the extra books from the Orthodox canon? I think Fr. Jack Custer’s book “The Old Testament: a Byzantine Perspective” said that we do, but I’m not sure.

Thank you all and God bless!

I do think that Ruthenian Catholics use the same canon as the rest of the church. I could be wrong. God Bless :slight_smile:

When I was serving in a Ruthenian parish, only the Abbey Psalter was used. Don’t know if that is still the case. At my UGCC mission, for English we use the Psalter printed by the OCA (Canadian version) or the older St. Joseph Institute translation. Both of these versions are translations of the Slavonic Psalter.

It’s my impression that the Abbey Psalter is the one in use among the Ruthenians (to affirm what Diak has already said).

I don’t know about the Canon of Scripture. I’ve seen it pointed out in other forums that even the Orthodox don’t use the “non-Catholic” books liturgically, so naturally neither do Eastern Catholics. That being said, some Byzantine hymns are based off of the non-Canonical Scriptures (for example, some of the hymns for the Entrance of the Mother of God into the Temple).

The 2006 The Divine Liturgies of Our Holy Fathers John Chrysostom and Basil The Great states that translation was guided by The Grail Psalms 1963, plus the New American Bible (1970-1991) but that biblical allusions have usually required fresh translations for the new context and to capture the distinctions of the Septuagint Old Testament.

Here is an example for Psalm 103:4 [104:4] (Vespers):

“You make your angels spirits
and your ministers a flaming fire.”

Before, the de Vinck/Raya version (Byzantine Book of Prayer 1995, and the Passaic Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts) had:

“You make spirits your messengers
and flaming fires Your attendants.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.