Psychiatrist arrested after 36 of his patients die

Psychiatrist arrested after 36 of his patients died

JONESBORO, GA (CBS46) -

A psychiatrist was arrested after 36 of his patients died, 12 of whom passed away due to overdose on prescription medication.

Doctor Narendra Nagareddy’s office in Jonesorbo, just south of Atlanta, was raided by DEA agents Thursday.

Dr. Nagareddy is accused of violating Georgia’s Controlled Substance Act.

“The search warrant [alleges] 36 of his patients have died, 12 of whom were autopsied with cause of death being overdose on prescription medication,” said the Clayton County District Attorney.

We went into the doctor’s background and his license was issued in 1999. He’s certified with the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.

According to the State Board of Medical Examiners, he has no disciplinary action, no criminal convictions, no medical malpractice suits and no medical settlements.

But, we found several online complaints dating back several years, calling into question the very thing he’s now under investigation for.

wmbfnews.com/story/30971975/psychiatrist-arrested-after-36-of-his-patients-died

A curious story, I wonder what the details will show?

it doesn’t say in what time frame they died or how the other 24 died.
this certainly sounds suspicious though. I guess we will have to wait for further developments.

I wonder if he’s stupid, insane, or a cold-blooded murderer.

Whatever, I sure feel bad for those patients.

did he drive them crazy I wonder?

One would have thought he would have been arrested before 36 of them died! It’s horrible!

I do not understand the meaning of a pill mill. I looked it up.Basically I do not " get" what type of drugs/ medicines/ narcotics ?.. are outside the jurisdiction of a psychiatrist who is a doctor ,neurologist.
It is a general.question.
Can anyone briefly help me out with " pill mill" ? Thanks in advance.

wsbtv.com/news/news/local/today-5-investigators-raid-clayton-county-psychiat/np5PL/

overprescribing opiates and benzodiazepine and the last several years has had a multitude of overdoses and overdose deaths,” Clayton County Police Chief Mike Register told Winne.

Never heard the phrase before. I had to look it up. Here you go:

“Pill mill’ is a term used primarily by local and state investigators to describe a doctor, clinic or pharmacy that is prescribing or dispensing powerful narcotics inappropriately or for non-medical reasons.”

I was thinking the same thing.

Kind of casts a bit of suspicion on him, doesn’t it?

Thanks,Lily !!

What’s odd everyone is I looked up his name on the web:“Narendra Nagareddy”

3.8 out of 5 stars per 33 ratings at “health grades” website. So, if I were a doctor, I would want a better rating but it would probably be easier for a neighborhood dentist to get a good rating than a psychiatrist.

healthgrades.com/physician/dr-narendra-nagareddy-xxx6w

Many people, sure many who are not extreme cases take medicines; so this is somewhat scary that a psychiatrist would be giving medicines that may well have and allegedly killed so many. There are a lot of news articles on him.

The Atlanta Journal Constitution may well be the big newspaper in the area:

Only Channel 2 investigative reporter Mark Winne was there** as nearly 40 federal and local agents raided the offices of Dr. Narendra Nagareddy**.

They later moved on to his home to seize more assets.

“He’s a psychiatrist in Jonesboro who has been overprescribing opiates and benzodiazepine and the last several years has had a multitude of overdoses and overdose deaths,” Clayton County Police Chief Mike Register told Winne.

Agents with the DEA, the Clayton County DA’s office, the Clayton County Police Department and the Georgia Department of Community Supervision converged on Nagareddy’s office armed with a search warrant and an arrest warrant for the psychiatrist Thursday morning.

“He’s charged with prescribing pain medication which is outside his profession as a psychiatrist and not for a legitimate purpose for the patient,” said Clayton County District Attorney Tracy Graham Lawson.

According to legal documents, “36 of Nagareddy’s patients have died while being prescribed controlled substances from Dr. Nagareddy, 12 of which have been confirmed by investigators through autopsy reports to have been the result of prescription drug intoxication.”

“Former and current patients have admitted to obtaining controlled substance prescriptions from Dr. Nagareddy without having a legitimate medical need,” the documents said.

ajc.com/news/news/local/today-5-investigators-raid-clayton-county-psychiat/np5Tw/

So, these drugs are somewhat suspect in all of the cases.

This is an interesting story. I wonder if this psychiatrist might actually be charged with serial murder? The calculated, premeditated intent would seem to be easy to prove, considering how well known it is that mixing opiates and Benzodiazepines is often deadly. I’m not an attorney, but how can he possibly defend himself against that? He can’t really claim that he made honest mistakes or that he’s just an idiot, because after a couple dozen of his patients dropped dead from overdoses, he had to have known what is already common knowledge among non-physicians.

Probably the best they would be able to get him on if they go that route is negligent homicide. It sounds like he wasn’t under any circumstances willing or intending the deaths – after all, killing your customers intentionally is killing the goose that laid the golden egg – but it looks to be more of an old-fashioned “Doctor Feelgood” type situation, where people knew he was free with prescriptions for powerful opiates. Did he know the risks? As a licensed MD, he would have to. Did he care? Probably only inasfar as the check cleared. But that only gets us as far as negligent homicide, reckless endangerment or possibly involuntary manslaughter, mixed with criminal malpractice. The key element of intent, for as murder charge to be brought, would be absent.

You may very well be right, Pat, I don’t know.:shrug:

It just seems to me that the sheer number of dead bodies indicates much more than negligence alone.

I guess we’ll find out soon enough what charges the prosecutors think will hold up in court.:shrug:

The DEA loves to do this kind of stuff, sad that most people dont realize are not actually concerned with the publics health and safety as it seems they are. Opiates do in fact relieve a good deal of depression symptoms, besides taking physical pain away, they also make a person feel absolutely great mentally, this is why opiates are so widely abused by every class of society, (who would not like an instant ‘feel good pill’).

I do wonder if this doctor was prescribing both drugs to people though and in what dosages, In many cases, what a patient consumes may be much different than what their prescription actually calls for…there is no way any doctor can control how much medicine their patients take, once they get the script filled, they have an entire supply, they can choose to take it as prescribed or take more, I suspect this may be what happened here.

He was a psychiatrist. How many of his patients simply used his prescription meds to commit suicide? Patients do do that, hoarding their pills until they have enough to do the job right.

With that many deaths, I wonder if maybe he was using his psychiatric practice as a front for dealing drugs. :shrug:

Prayers for the souls of the 36 dead, and for the doctor.

Sad to read. Of late I’ve been reading about the murky world of prescription drugs. Many medications, in particular in psychiatry, probably are not as helpful as originally believed. Some even say prescriptions are the third leading cause of death in America, which is an astounding figure to see. Dr. Peter Gotzsche of The Cochrane Collaboration research group has a book on this. The book can be seen at ~

amazon.com/Deadly-Medicines-Organised-Crime-healthcare-ebook/dp/B00G353WCE/ref=mt_kindle?_encoding=UTF8&me=

PRESCRIPTION DRUGS ARE THE
THIRD LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH
AFTER HEART DISEASE AND CANCER.

In his latest ground-breaking
book, Peter C Gøtzsche exposes the
pharmaceutical industries and their
charade of fraudulent behaviour, both
in research and marketing where
the morally repugnant disregard
for human lives is the norm. He
convincingly draws close comparisons
with the tobacco conglomerates,
revealing the extraordinary truth
behind efforts to confuse and distract
the public and their politicians.

The book addresses, in evidence-based
detail, an extraordinary system
failure caused by widespread crime,
corruption, bribery and impotent drug
regulation in need of radical reforms.

“The main reason we take so many
drugs is that drug companies don’t
sell drugs, they sell lies about drugs.
This is what makes drugs so different
from anything else in life… Virtually
everything we know about drugs is
what the companies have chosen to
tell us and our doctors… the reason
patients trust their medicine is that
they extrapolate the trust they have in
their doctors into the medicines they
prescribe. The patients don’t realise
that, although their doctors may
know a lot about diseases and human
physiology and psychology, they know
very, very little about drugs that hasn’t
been carefully concocted and dressed
up by the drug industry… If you don’t
think the system is out of control,
please email me and explain why drugs
are the third leading cause of death… If
such a hugely lethal epidemic had been
caused by a new bacterium or a virus,
or even one-hundredth of it, we would
have done everything we could to get it
under control.”
FROM THE INTRODUCTION

I heard one person say we will see at trial. There is a presumption of innocence at least by the courts. This sounds horrific; perhaps we will see.

Still, the number is high, just the number of patients who they say autopsies show they had these drugs in their system.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.