Psychological issues + Genesis 4, 7

I have several psychological issues that I have been trying to face over the past 3 or 4 years, since about '07 or ‘08. Among these are OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder), PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder), General Anxiety Disorder (chronically elevated stress levels), and Avoidance Issues (meaning I always throw in the towel simply because its easier to just do nothing). So yes, Im a flippin’ basket-case. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was reading Genesis about a week ago or so and a verse stuck with me. Genesis 4, 7. About how anxiety is a demon at your door. But if you conquer him, you can be his master. Or something along those lines. I dont remember the exact wording but that was the main interpratation.

As I suffer from such anxiety issues, and I need to face my demons, what are some ways that I could remember this verse in order to help me?

Much Thanks.

Sorry, I can’t help you as I suffer from anxiety as well. But I do look forward to the answers! I’ll say a prayer for you as well…:slight_smile:

I’m facing some issues of addictive behavior. I think the best place to seek assistance is not here, where you don’t know who is giving you advice.People don’t really know you well enough to give you exactly what you need.

You shouldn’t have to post all your private information here where it will be around forever.

I have some anxiety issues (don’t we all these days) alongside the addictive behavior, and I’m going to go in for some professional help.

You deserve the best, go and get it.

This is my 2000th post, and it is non-advice advice.

i will be praying for you, yes the Lords prayer if you attend mass and really follow you would have heard the Priest response to the laity when the Lords prayer is being said at the end when we say… " deliver us from evil" the priest respond in prayer deliver us from all evil and useless anxieties… when next you go to Mass pls listen and follow the sayings at Mass and you will hear what am trying to tell you, you can then give all your anxieties and worries to Christ Jesus who said come to me all yea who are labored and heavy laden … May his word make roots as you trust in HIM. amen.:):slight_smile:

here’s the verses
memorize? :shrug: try repetition (like writing it out a few times),
and try to see/visualize the scene…that’s what I do.

Genesis 4:6-7 esv
The LORD said to Cain,
“Why are you angry,
and why has your face fallen?
7 If you do well,
will you not be accepted?
And if you do not do well,
sin is crouching at the door.
Its (sin’s) desire is for you,
but you must rule over it.”

Genesis 4:6 nas
Then the LORD said to Cain,
"Why are you angry?
And why has your countenance fallen?
7 "If you do well,
will not *your countenance *be lifted up?
And if you do not do well,
sin is crouching at the door;
and its (sin’s) desire is for you,
but you must master it.

Cain was angry
cause his sacrifice to the LORD was not accepted
while Abel’s sacrifice was.
Led him to sin by murder
Cain wasn’t able to master his sin
which was crouching at his ‘door’

I don’t think though that your ‘issues’ are sinful like Cain’s.
For example, severe OCD has a lot to do with abnorm brain chemistry,
which is very difficult if not impossible to master without meds,
and is not sinful in itself…you won’t be rejected by God for OCD

back to Cain and his probs:
Paul wrote about a similar kind of problem to Cain’s
of mastering sin in the flesh…
Rom 6:12
Therefore do not let sin reign (~don’t let sin master you)
in your mortal body
so that you obey its lusts,

solution has to do with being in Christ
Rom 8:1
“Therefore there is now no condemnation
for those who are in Christ Jesus.”

I apologize if it came of as comparing my psychological issues to those of Cain, that was not my intention. Let me rephrase…

When I read Gen 4,7 I took it to mean that demons are always lurking at our door. Demons be they sin, OCD, or even unpaid bills, what have you. I took the verse to mean that while it can seem daunting at times, if you learn to overcome, you can master it and thereby control it.

Except Cain blatantly ignored that, and went off to kill Able. Obviously that part of the verse isnt applicapable in my issues…unless you want to say that one day I might be a slave to my OCD and other issues. But even then, :shrug:

So really my interpratation of the verse is that if you can overcome, you can control it. Thats what I was trying to say. Im sorry if it came off as anything else. :o

Remembering verses is a good thing but do not put your trust in yourself to conquer anything. Place yourself in the arms of Jesus and Mary!

oh…I get it now. guess I missed your point.
seems like you need power to overcome
but Christian’s power is in Christ
1 Cor 1:24…“Christ the power of God”

I agree with david_friol’s post above

Crumpy got it right. :cool:

As for the overcoming of fear: it is fairly useless to try to do that by trying to use ‘force’ of any sort. In fact, that usually just increases the fear instead of making it go away.

What you could try though, leaving exact quotes of the Bible for what they are for a sec here and using some practical common sense, is this:
Whenever you manage to think about it, keep telling yourself that you are surrounded by the Love of God. So, when you go shopping, and you think about it, just say to yourself:“I am surrounded by the Love of God.” Just keep it in mind generally and every now and then repeat it to yourself.

See, what a lot of people do not understand yet is that this is a fact. You ARE surrounded by the Love of God. It does not matter what you do, say, think or believe or where you are. You are by definition always and everywhere surrounded by the Love of God. Why? Because you deserve it. :wink: And it is God’s Will that you are. Imagine it like someone putting a nice comfty blanket of love around your shoulders.

Keep this in mind whenever you are fearful, angry, upset, lonely, sad, etc. It is a very powerful excercise to learn the true teaching of Christ, namely that God is Love.

And really, get some professional help, because these kind of things tend to be very tricky to get out of on your own.

Best of luck! :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.