Psychologists repudiate gay-to-straight therapy

From the associated press…

(therefore subject to bias, but still take a read)

I find this somewhat troubling, not so much the reputation itself but by the original premises of the APA, stating that homosexuality is simply a variant of human sexuality rather than a disorder. I know that homosexuality was no longer considered a disorder since the 1970s supposedly based on certain criteria used by psychologists to determine whether a condition can be considered a disorder, though to me much of it was more based on mere ideology and political correctness.

While some (though more like very little) of the advice by the APA did seem sound, other parts left a giant question mark in my head (to say the least) and made me shuddder, and I am sure that when you read the article you will know what parts those are.

Nonetheless, seeing that my knowledge of psychology was merely a high school class I took this year where the subject was touched upon once, I know that I have little knowledge myself, so if there is anyone who has either knowledge or experience with psychology or homosexuality and the relationship between the, feel free to give your insights. It is a sensitive topic, so please be charitable in your comments, while not being afraid to state the truth in matters ( caritas in veritate ) :slight_smile:

This organization wants to help homosexuals who are seeking help:

narth.com/menus/positionstatements.html

The Catholic Medical Association has this to say about homosexuality:

narth.com/docs/hope.html

Peace,
Ed

Dr. Laura’s radio show once discussed that how homosexuality went from a disorder to acceptable was when there was a majority of homosexuals on the panel who simply voted it that way.

Scientific truth is now subject to democratic majorities.

NEW YORK — The American Psychological Association declared Wednesday that mental health professionals should not tell gay clients they can become straight through therapy or other treatments.

In a resolution adopted by the APA’s governing council, and in an accompanying report, the association issued its most comprehensive repudiation of “reparative therapy” — a concept espoused by a small but persistent group of therapists, often allied with religious conservatives, who maintain gays can change.

No solid evidence exists that such change is likely, says the resolution, adopted by a 125-4 vote. The APA said some research suggests that efforts to produce change could be harmful, inducing depression and suicidal tendencies.

article

Did not they come out and say homosexuality is not genetic?

Homosexuality is wrong, God said so.

I still believe people can change. The focus is if they wish too.

First off, I am gay or am maybe a bit gay. Based on studies I have read on gay sheep, gay rats etc. Gay is indeed based in the brain. That is not a question. What the psychologists don’t realize is that at the very least homosexual orientation can be turned off. I, based on my research have come up with a very simple plan that after 2 days already I am not attracted to males anymore (I.E. They are boring to look at or think about) It took me only a week to do my research but i’m well versed in neuroscience from my college major. First off some background. The hypothalamus is an area of the brain where it has been found an area of tissue or cell congregation called INAH3 is larger in straight than in homosexual men. Second: This area of the brain responds to estrogen in a paradoxical way. Whereas estrogen in the rest of the body causes femiinization in this area it masculinizes the brain.
Third: It is believed there is a problem with estrogen signaling in this part of the brain in homosexuals, for whatever reason this seems to be the case.
fourth: this problem may be due to downregulation or a low count of estrogen receptors or the little signal receivers that take estrogen and cause the response in the brain. leading to poor reception of the signal, kind of like a bad drive thru speaker or mic
5: I have read studies that show that estrogen receptors can be upregulated, i.e. count can be increased.
6: the day I realized this was the day I heard about the apa’s decision, talk about synchronicity!
7: You can upregulate estrogen receptors by blocking estrogen signaling (don’t try this without researching yourself, I will take no responsibility for damages! I.E. I am only writing this for edification, not as a recommendation, I am hereby not liable! You agree to this by taking what i say as true)
8: You can block estrogen signaling with drugs such as tamoxifen, or plant estrogens available otc in flax seed oil, this is what I’m using. It is specifically called lignan, the phytoestrogen I am concentrating on.
9: I believe upregulation will turn on the INAH 3 function in a brain of a homosexual.
10: I am at an early stage but suffice it to say, I am asexual currently and am not sure but I believe I will be straight. Time will tell. Do not use any estrogen blocker for more than a day or two at a time, and with a 2 day break in between ! VERY IMPORTANT!!!

by the way i’m off the lignan for more than 24 hrs now, still asexual.

Uh, if you’re still researching this, I don’t recommend anyone trying this out. This doesn’t sound very safe. :tsktsk:

I haven’t read this book, but I have heard this author speak about the subject:

One Man, One Woman
By author: Dale O’Leary

sophiainstitute.com/productdetails.cfm?PC=329

The author Dale O’Leary said the APA reached an agreement that homosexuality was a normal variant by a consensus of its members; not by any scientific studies. Apparently this books goes through all the available studies and shows there is nothing there to support the APA’s claims.

No different from how they determine any condition as a disorder. We should note Laura is not a psychologist. This is not a hard science like chemistry or physics.

READ THE ARTICLE, PEOPLE.

Within the first two sentences*:* “*The American Psychological Association declared Wednesday that mental health professionals should not tell gay clients they can become straight through therapy or other treatments.
*Instead, the APA urged therapists to consider multiple options — that could range from celibacy to switching churches — for helping clients whose sexual orientation and religious faith conflict.”

*"***Both sides have to educate themselves better," Glassgold said in an interview. “The religious psychotherapists have to open up their eyes to the potential positive aspects of being gay or lesbian. Secular therapists have to recognize that some people will choose their faith over their sexuality.”

*It distresses me immensely when people judge without knowing the facts, or at least acquainting themselves with an issue, especially one so close to people’s hearts. If you don’t have the time to seek out and read the 130 page APA document, at least read the 700 word press article before you start passing rash judgment. The APA presents options in line with Catholic teaching - for that I would have expected praise, especially considering the APA’s long-time affirmation of same-sex sexuality.

I understand what the APA is saying, however, I don’t understand where they can counsel religious psychotherapists to see the positive aspects of being gay or lesbian. First, the orientation is not sinful but it was considered a disorder at one time. What I find distressing is the evidence that shows it was removed from the disorder category not by scientific research but by vote. So, in other words, scientific research did not guide the decision but a group of people with an obvious agenda.

I dated a young woman who was bisexual, but she gave her life to Christ and stopped doing what she was doing. I know people who are gay and I simply regard them as people.

All Catholics are called to chastity. Sometimes it’s more difficult for some then for others.

Peace,
Ed

buy a tape on self hypnosis as well. I just realized how effective self hypnosis (which literally is the placebo effect made controllable by one’s self) can be in making you lose attraction to the wrong gender i.e. you can cause your arousal to be diminished during periods where it is activated, which should be to a low degree when you are on lignan. By the way the forces of satan are keen on this therapy, just so you know, the hack attacks may not be directly related but they are indeed satan’s response. Take it on faith… Only satan makes hackers do what they do. By the way, I’m gonna get graphic now. When under hypnosis and in this therapy, imagine a naked woman (yes, sinful) imagine that you are interested in making love to her, this is indeed more graphic than just what I said, you must be the initiator and focus on her rather than yourself. Tell yourself, suggest to yourself that you are excited, tell yourself your heartrate is incresing (it really will!). Tell yourself you will reach completion with her (sorry!!!) in the hypnosis, even if nothing happens while hypnotized ,I am certain you will achieve results. I was able to bring myself to fantasize about women while unhypnotized using this method. Also, in another hypno session, imagine a man, tell yourself how you are unexcited (be literal though in your mind) tell yourself you are not attracted, be graphic in your imagining but always remind yourself you don’t care and are not interested. Hypnosis should be an integral part of this therapy. You can cure yourself with hypnosis and hormones!!! Be hopeful, pray for forgiveness like I should for all the fantasizing etc. But it is integral to the therapy.

God Bless you all and good luck!

Scientific research does not determine many of these things. It’s not a hard science. How do you think homosexuality originally got classified as a disorder? It wasn’t scientific research.

Many times a condition is considered a problem if it creates a problem in the client’s life. So, a happy, well adjusted gay would not be seen to have a problem. But a gay who was troubled by his status and found it causing problems would be diagnosed with a problem.

What are you saying? In the DSM I (1952) and DSM II (1968), homosexuality is listed as a disorder by medical professionals. Have you ever seen a copy of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual? The people who contributed to its assembly had data from World War II, the Korean War and other sources. It didn’t get listed for no particular reason.

What is troubling is that it was removed by vote by a group calling itself the Gay APA, along with others. That’s not scientific at all.

Peace,
Ed

What was the standard for inclusion as a disorder in 1952? 1968? 1994? 2012?

Yes, but what was the scientific evidence for classifying homosexuality as a mental illness in the first place? Medical professionals and scientists used to write learned treatises about how Negroes were inferior to, or a separate species from, whites. More recently, epilepsy used to be considered a mental illness.

Language is a big problem here. Calling all homosexuals “gay” and using that label as if it referred to an intrinsic quality like gender makes real discussion difficult.

I suspect lots of homosexuals probably are “born that way” either genetically or due to some influence in utero. In many other cases it may be due to abuse or a bad home situation or whatever.
Probably some can benefit from therapy and some can’t. Obviously the APA’s unwillingness to look at the issue honestly is unscientific.

Keep in mind that the DSM catalogs conditions, and lists the symptoms. But there is no way to scientifically demonstrate a given set of symptoms should be labeled and included in the book.

For example, someone might call a condition “religious ecstacy.” They might then list the symptoms that consitute religious ecstacy. OK. There is nothing wrong with that.

But what scientfic test could demonstarte that the condition belongs or does not belong in the DSM? Does it?

So a happy, well adjusted alcoholic would not be classified as having a problem?

How about a happy, well adjusted cleptomaniac?

Or a happy, well adjusted adulterer?

You seem to be saying that the judgement of a problem is totally up to the one with the issue, not those around them?

A homosexual who is decided to live a holy life still must battle his/her issues, just like all humans battle to carry their particular cross. Will denying it’s a problem, or hiding possible aids help?

The autism issue is similar. Some people write books on how to embrace autism, while most parents exhaust themselves looking for cures. And now are finding them. They’d spit in the face of anyone telling them to just embrace it, and the rest of us would be worse off.

Sure. If a lifestyle isn’t causing the person any problems, and he isn’t hurting anyone else, then what’s the problem? Drinker, Klepto, Player? Sure. No Problem. (However, I figure the Klepto must be ripping someone off.)

Now, if there is no direct harm to others, but they just don’t like it, then that’s their problem.

If a gay has decided to lead a holy life, and finds a conflict with his lifestyle, then he recognizes a problem. He makes that decision, not some spectator.

Sorry, I don’t know anything about autism, so I have no comment.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.