Psychology Expert Says Christians Uneasy About Question 'What's Sin and What's Mental Illness?'

To date, 16 of the past 25 mass shootings in the U.S. were untreated mental illnesses. I think you’re onto something there. When we talk about people having thoughts that aren’t their own or them being involved in behaviors they aren’t full in control over, then Christians start to get real nervous because are very much into culpability: Did you sin? Is it your fault?

More…

christianpost.com/news/psychology-expert-says-christians-uneasy-about-question-is-certain-behavior-sin-or-mental-illness-116433/

Interesting interview.

I don’t think there’s anything very significant being stated here, however. Average people simply have a hard time associating certain behaviors to mental illness. In he interview, he talks about a bipolar person who goes on an extreme spending spree while in a manic state. He says the typical Christian response would be to put the person in a Dave Ramsey class, and that the idea that the person wasn’t in control of his or her behavior is basically blown off as an attempt to give the person an excuse for this behavior and a free license to do it again.

The thing is, this isn’t just a Christian response. People in general have a hard time accepting that a particular behavior is uncontrollable, due to a mental illness, especially when the person seems “normal” on the surface. This is further confounded by the fact that many of these behaviors can and have been seen in people that have no mental illnesses.

I can appreciate the greater discussion of how Christians deal with the concept of uncontrolled behaviors as it relates to sin, but that doesn’t really seem to be the point in this interview. He simply seems to be stating that Christians have difficulty in accepting that certain behaviors can be uncontrolled, but he’s only presenting the common reaction people have, just under the context of Christianity. An atheist can be just as skeptical of mental illness and uncontrolled behavior. No concept of sin and accountability required.

As a retired psychology professor who spent part of my 35 yars in the area of physiological psychology and neuroscience, , I do not intend to say much but some facts are in order. First is an expert I(which is relative)n psychology , not some part timer. he has a degree in neuroscience which makes him some sort of an expert.

His expertise is not in the clinical are nor in the area of psychopharmacology or neuropsychiatry but he is a quite knowledgeable.

Having said I agree with what Back2 church is saying.

The professor also has a book out on Amazon which has good reviews.

lack of control , delusional though, some of which are the results of legitimate meds for such thing as Parkinson’s are not that uncommon.

Many pastors, priests are not equipped to deal with these issues. If anything, they all need to rule out all physiological issues while giving comfort to the individual who is suffering.

bottom line here: I make no judgment on what he says but he is definitely a valid source of information within reason.
Sierrraadepadre

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.