PTSD Isn't Biblical, Televangelist Kenneth Copeland And Historian David Barton Tell Veterans

huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/16/ptsd-biblical_n_4274898.html

More…

RNS) On a Veterans Day broadcast program, televangelist Kenneth Copeland and controversial historian David Barton told listeners that soldiers should never experience guilt or post-traumatic stress disorder after returning from military service.

Reading from Numbers 32: 20-22, Copeland said, “So this is a promise — if you do this thing, if you arm yourselves before the Lord for the war … you shall return, you’re coming back, and be guiltless before the Lord and before the nation.”

“Any of you suffering from PTSD right now, you listen to me,” Copeland said as Barton affirmed him. ”You get rid of that right now. You don’t take drugs to get rid of it. It doesn’t take psychology. That promise right there will get rid of it.”

I,m not surprised…much of the doctrine or teaching of many televangelists are not exactly biblical either!:smiley:

Neither are televangelists themselves;)

What a nitwit.
:rolleyes:

How very sad. Statements like that only serve to blame the victim/ill person. It implies thanif they only had enough faith they wouldn’t have the illness.

What a disservice to all of our military veterans who put their lives on the line for us and others----- to blame them for not being able to “handle” the horrors of war.

This kind of shaming and blaming keeps people from seeking help and actually prolongs the illness.

PTSD has always been around, only the name has changed.

I had a cousin who suffered from ‘shell shock’ in WWII. He came back from combat and did not speak to anyone and spent his days rocking in a straight chair in front of the window.

I’ve also heard Copeland say, with regard to women who had lingering effects from past sexual abuse, that they should just get over it.

Don’t get me wrong; I believe that God can heal PTSD, but “blaming the victim” is not the way to get that done.

I had PTSD when I was a child immediately after having witnessed up close a violent car crash. It gave me a nightmare, but I seemed to get over it.

That’s not PTSD. I dealt with it for years after witnessing a homicide. I still have hypervigilance because of it.

It’s not something you just shake out of your system. It doesn’t have much to do with how strong you are either. It’s sort of random and dependent upon the circumstances of the event.

Well said. This is a HUGE disservice to the vets.
I hope they will consider the source.
Mary.

That is not PTSD. A nightmare and just getting over it is not how PTSD works.

My husband experienced combat stress after a few of his deployments, but thank God it never developed into PTSD. I pray it never does.

Yes, God can and does heal, but it takes lots of work from the suffer as well

Unfortunately there are pastors of local churches that are “fans” of guys like Copeland and who preach the same kind of twisted Gospel that will accuse their parishioners that suffer from various things of not having enough faith and to “just trust God and get over it!” I know this because prior to converting to Catholicism I had been there, done that, and it just about cost me my sanity. Even then I was accused of not having enough “faith.” I’m having a tough time with certain parts of the Bible even today due to some bad teaching I had gotten. I can’t for example stand the Acts, or Psalm chapter 1, or parts of other books.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.